Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love all his movies, but people seem to really dislike him saying "His movies suck", "he's a horrible director", "I fall asleep to his movies."

What is your opinion? I like his movies because they're mystical, mysterious, thought provoking, and the angles and point of view he portrays. Why do other people not enjoy this?

I have the admit that the ending of "Devil" has a little disappointing though.

·
Banned
59 Posts
If I've got it right, most people like his early movies like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but then he suddenly realized that he wanted to save the world with movies or something like that, and most people seem to view him as kind of, I don't know, pretentious, but in a silly, shallow kind of way? Started with Lady in the Water where there was this half-woman, half-fish person living in a swimming pool somewhere, and then there are these evil forces out to get here, and all of this is supposedly an allegory for life on Earth, but the best part was that Shyalaman cast himself as a writer who will save the world, but lose everything in return. And then, following this, he made this movie with this environmentalist message where plants or something start turning people into trees or something like that, because they're angry at people for polluting, and I heard it really made no sense if you knew the slightest about how trees and the sort work. Also, I remember the acting was kind of... wooden. Ironically. So that movie was all kind of uncanny, really.

Anyways. Since then I have that impression, based on what I hear and read and all that, that I mentioned. Personally I like his movies a lot. Especially The Village. There's this village in the movie, right? And in this village a lot of people live. But they're scared of the woods! Because there are these really cool, but not to them I guess, monsters with red cloaks! Anyways. This blind girl that lives in the village is about to marry Johnny Cash, but then Johnny Cash gets sick, and to save him she has to go through those woods. So what we have here is a movie about a blind, lovestruck girl going through a wood filled with these bizarre monsters to save the guy she loves!! How poetic is that? And then there is a twist in the end!

I also liked those newer ones that nobody seems to like, but in a different way maybe? I can really watch anything with Zooey Deschanel in it so I handled The Happening fine, and Lady in the Water was, if not anything else, different. I mean, I wasn't bored watching it, and I remember all the pieces falling into place in a very satisfying way in the end. So I'm cool with him in any case, though I guess I kind of see why people would dislike him as well. Then on the other hand I have a suspicion Shyalaman has a thing for the misunderstood artist thingy.

I don't know :unsure:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His Lady in the water was a little... disorderly? especially the ending. It all played out like it was said to. I found that a little surprising.

I loved the Village and the happening...

·
Registered
444 Posts
the villiage and unbreakable are both among my favorite movies.

The last air bender ...was great but disappointing to me at the same time being a huge fan of the tv show.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I liked all his movies leading up to The village. Signs is one of his most underrated movies. TBH i didn't watch the happening or the last airbender because i heard they were so terribly directed, which is something i can't sit through.

Devil IS the best movie i've seen this year, and i've seen a lot of movies:tongue:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hehe, interesting topic?! The Sixth Sense is one of my favourite films. I liked The Village but I found it really sad and creepy towards the end. Unbreakable is one of those films that I can't watch without becoming an emotional wreck, like Gladiator and Schindler's List. I cannot bear to watch human torture and suffering, whether fictitious or not, it just tears me up inside. Yet I can sit through a CSI episode? Weird. I guess I get more absorbed and lost in films, but short programmes I can kind of gloss over because it's easier to accept that it isn't real.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I really get pissed off at all his movies. Especially "The Village." That one made me want to hunt him down and shoot him with a sniper rifle. Fucking pig costumes, were they? Unbelievable. :dry: The plot lines are so stupid, one would think they were randomly generated. What is there to like? Shit.

Reactions: Rusalka

·
Registered
602 Posts
I dont think all his movies are horrible, tho he did ruin The Last Airbender for me....that was just utter...ughh. not even gonna get into it.

Movies like The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, were pretty awesome. I just saw Devil, which he didnt direct but wrote the story for, and it was pretty good. I do have to say tho, some of his movies/stories are predictable (The Village, Devil). He's not horrible but he should have never been allowed to take on the avatar....ruined an awesome series.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I really get pissed off at all his movies. Especially "The Village." That one made me want to hunt him down and shoot him with a sniper rifle. Fucking pig costumes, were they? Unbelievable. :dry: The plot lines are so stupid, one would think they were randomly generated. What is there to like? Shit.
Yes. The Village was awful! The ending was incredibly dumb and really just didn't make sense with it, e.g. what if someone from outside The Village came in and disturbed it, and why are they even putting all this effort in to purposely live in old timey colonial Massachusetts?! Who wants to do that? There are so many things with it that just don't make sense. It was a rip-off, too. I saw Signs, as well, but at a slumber party so obviously I didn't see it in its entirety. From what I saw, though, the movie really wasn't that good and it was just awkward at some points and it didn't make sense and I was like WTF are you doing what and it was just weird and the ending sucked. Water, seriously? I've been meaning to see The Sixth Sense, because it's a classic and all, but I've had the ending ruined for me multiple times. :dry:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I hated The Sixth Sense and I haven't bothered with any of his other movies. Immediately after the end of that movie, all I could think about was all the time that would have gone on that wasn't shown on camera, where what was revealed would have been obvious long before then to Bruce Willis. Did he really sit there all night and think his wife wasn't talking to him because she was mad? Please.

I was going to see Last Airbender because it looked kind of cool until the reviews for that all said it sucked too.

I don't see where he gets off putting his name in front of all his movies. I saw an interview where he explained why he did it, because he wanted to be like Spielberg and other major directors, but he didn't seem to understand that you earn that kind of thing over a long and successful career.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i actually didnt see the movies of his that really got a lot of hatred, so he's generally come off alright with me. i quite liked Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs (though the ending pissed me off - not that it was water, but the idea that ALL of that was basically God's way to get the man to be faithful again... while, in the meantime, thousands of utterly faithful people were slaughtered in the invasion).

Devil, technically, isnt by Shyamalan... that is, i think he's the producer, and that it's based on some short story he wrote. according to my brother, Devil is intended as being just one among many movies that'll be directed by other directors, which will be based on a number of Shyamalan's short stories (one of which is apparently a sort of sequel to Unbreakable).

Immediately after the end of that movie, all I could think about was all the time that would have gone on that wasn't shown on camera, where what was revealed would have been obvious long before then to Bruce Willis. Did he really sit there all night and think his wife wasn't talking to him because she was mad? Please.
wellllll, to be fair, i dont think Willis' character would've realised. he was a spirit, and all the spirits in the movie had only a half-consciousness of the state that they were in, a considerable confusion about their condition. Willis' character likely faded in and out of existence/consciousness and didnt recall any of the blank moments, or didnt have the presence of mind to remember the contradictions which proved that he was dead. hence why, when he finally realizes in the end, he starts to remember all the telling instances which proved he was dead in greater detail.

(edit) HOLY CRAP. i've never seen this happen on a forum before - hood made his post while i was on the page, and it actually loaded while i was edit-proofreading my message. that's totally new to me, *never* seen a messageboard do that. ... scared the hell out of me. ^^;

·
Registered
431 Posts
He's a great director... Unbreakable is one of my faves. But a some of his movies seem to waste really great ideas... The Village, Lady in the Water, The Happening all had a lot of potential I think but it's like he needs a better casting director and take more time to work out his plots.

Lol adding to what Somniorum posted I believe in Sixth Sense the boy explained the dead "only see what they want to see" or something like that which pretty much wraps it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts