Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an INTP who works in IT and I'm curious as to what platforms NT's prefer. Mac, PC or Linux.
Personally I'm more of a Mac guy, But it'd be good to hear from the community

incline5

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here's my opinion on Mac, PC, and Linux.

Mac
:
-Interesting body styles
-More company-made products(iPod, etc.)
-More games nowadays are being made also for Mac unlike the games made in the 90s-early to mid 2000s
-Price range varies from expensive to expensive:dry:
PC:
-Used to be off-white 90s style, but now look better
-Different styles made by different companies
-Many games during the 90s-2000s were either exclusive for PC or also made for Mac
-Price range varies from cheap to expensive

Linux:
-I don't know that much about Linux, but, I think that Linux is like a hacker version of Windows

Personally, I prefer PC because I've used it ever since my parents bought a Gateway 2000 with Windows 95. Now, at the school I go to, there are Macs and PCs. When it comes to Macs, I am completely dumbfounded when it comes to shortcuts because the keyboard is different than the PC!:confused:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, your thread title says INTPs, but your post seems to say you want to hear from all NTs, so I'll go ahead. I use a PC. I prefer PCs because they're what I know, and the machines themselves are a better value. Macs are good, but I'm just not used to them, also Apple's marketing makes me angry. For most tasks I use windows, when I'm in the mood to try something different or screw around with the computer though, I boot into FreeBSD.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use a PC (Windows XP), but I'd be open to trying out a Mac just so I could figure it out, since I haven't really used one before. So I guess you could say that I can't be counted if you're trying to figure out which one is "better" in the eyes of an INTP, since I haven't used a Mac...but if you only care about which ones we're using, then there you go, PC.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I adore my mac. It might be expensive, but the quality is great. I've had macs for 5 years and not once has one of them crashed (unless I spilled something on it...)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i have a mac and i love it, but i could deal with windows 7 so far (previous experiences with XP and Vista were disastrous).
five thumbs up for garageband! :D

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I've always had a PC. I'm not very familiar with Macs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know I don't "belong" here, but I'm currently studying this in school actually. From the information I have gleaned it appears that:

Mac: Has generally more powerful systems, and total dominance over video editing software (It's all proprietary and runs only on macs) and animation stuff. Macs are always used to compile final animations before putting them on to tapes and stuff.

Macs have a higher resistance to viruses for this reason: The mac has a much smaller market share than windows does. Windows has something like 70% market share, so Mac only has to deal with about 30% of the viruses that windows does. It's not really inherently more secure, it's just less people are writing software that runs on it.

This however does have the flip side. There are less people writing software that runs on it. Compatibility issues are what really hold the Mac back from competition with Windows, or so I gather.

Windows:
Has the highest market share, generally considered to have many issues with lower quality coding since they're so big they have to keep hiring new coders to build the software, meaning we get work done by rookie coders.

However, it has one key feature which makes it stand above all others in many IT people's minds, and that is compatibility. An OS's most important feature, it might be argued, is it's drivers. Windows drivers work with more things than any other OS, and more software is designed to run with Windows than any other OS. Therefore, the key function of the OS, which is to facilitate the use of everything else on the computer, is best served by using Windows.

Linux:

Has almost no viruses because of tiny market share, no centralized help you can call with problems, and endless customization potential. Linux is considered the best coded of the three main OS systems, because it's open source, and experienced coders will fix issues they find with it and send the improved code back to the linux people to improve the system.

It should be noted that only the Kernel itself is the free part of linux. The file system and the user interface are not included if you go and download linux online, and just linux. This allows you to build your entire own OS from scratch essentially, with all the core work done for you, but on the other hand, you have to build it all from scratch.

The person I talked to hates linux, and when I probed him on it, he said it comes down to compatibility. Linux has like 2% market share, and therefore extremely low compatibility with software and drivers. Using the definition of an OS's purpose above, this makes it the worst OS by far.

Conclusion:

Compatibility may very well be the single most important factor when choosing an OS to use, and in this race, Windows wins hands down.

That being said, I have nothing personally against macs, other than their lack of games and general lack of game support compared to a PC. Even these days, where things are mostly equal, mac is still the second pass, the one that gets put off if something comes up, and in general is the less liked child of the game developer.

If a lack of good games does nothing to deter you, I think it's perfectly fine to get a Mac. It does have it's strengths, but do remember it's weaknesses.

Linux, don't get unless you really know wtf you're doing. I'm not sure I'll ever master operating systems to the point I feel comfortable running Linux, but I have intense respect for people who are good enough to do it.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
That being said, I have nothing personally against macs, other than their lack of games and general lack of game support compared to a PC. Even these days, where things are mostly equal, mac is still the second pass, the one that gets put off if something comes up, and in general is the less liked child of the game developer.

If a lack of good games does nothing to deter you, I think it's perfectly fine to get a Mac. It does have it's strengths, but do remember it's weaknesses.

Linux, don't get unless you really know wtf you're doing. I'm not sure I'll ever master operating systems to the point I feel comfortable running Linux, but I have intense respect for people who are good enough to do it.
I've used Linux as for 15 years and I don't really agree with this.

Yes, technically you could just download the kernel, and 'roll your own'. But most people download a linux distribution, like Ubuntu or Fedora or Debian. These include the kernel, filesystems, drivers and a ton of useful software.

and b/c the drivers for most devices comes with the distribution, Installing devices on Linux is a true plug-and-play experience. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a device and it 'just worked' on Linux, but when I boot into my Windows partition, I'd have to install the driver CD, reboot one or more times, then have the device not work due to some conflict, uninstall, reinstall the driver, go to the vendor website and get a new driver. Then search online forums to see how other people fixed the issue I'm having :laughing:. This happens all the time. I really believe Linux is an easier system to use once you get over the initial intimidation of it.

Another nice thing is there's no spyware or other things that get slipped in by vendors that cause your machine to slow to a crawl over time, like with Windoes

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love my Mac, and haven't been able to see myself switching back to PCs ever since I first switched over three years ago. However, I strongly dislike operating system wars and elitism in general-- you use whatever computer you use, and either you like it or you don't. It all depends on the person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PC no doubt, have one with Win98se and Ubuntu that I use to get my work done on (I'm a graphic designer), another with WinXP I use online, I still use DOS 6 on yet another to write on (with DOS EDIT no less). Macs seem twice the cost with only half the speed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've used Linux as for 15 years and I don't really agree with this.

Yes, technically you could just download the kernel, and 'roll your own'. But most people download a linux distribution, like Ubuntu or Fedora or Debian. These include the kernel, filesystems, drivers and a ton of useful software.

and b/c the drivers for most devices comes with the distribution, Installing devices on Linux is a true plug-and-play experience. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a device and it 'just worked' on Linux, but when I boot into my Windows partition, I'd have to install the driver CD, reboot one or more times, then have the device not work due to some conflict, uninstall, reinstall the driver, go to the vendor website and get a new driver. Then search online forums to see how other people fixed the issue I'm having :laughing:. This happens all the time. I really believe Linux is an easier system to use once you get over the initial intimidation of it.

Another nice thing is there's no spyware or other things that get slipped in by vendors that cause your machine to slow to a crawl over time, like with Windoes
Even ubuntu requires work that you just don't need to do with windows or mac os. Like, I remember trying to set up wifi on my laptop and having a ridiculously hard time of it. If I didn't understand computers or operating systems, I'd have burned my computer. Linux isn't ready for the mainstream, and I'm not sure it ever will be.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Even ubuntu requires work that you just don't need to do with windows or mac os. Like, I remember trying to set up wifi on my laptop and having a ridiculously hard time of it. If I didn't understand computers or operating systems, I'd have burned my computer. Linux isn't ready for the mainstream, and I'm not sure it ever will be.
It does have more trouble with laptops. They often have more exotic hardware than desktop pcs. In general on desktops, things works smoothly (again, unless you have exotic hardware)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've used Windows and Ubuntu Linux pretty extensively. Both have major strengths, both have major weaknesses, which is why my next computer will probably come from Apple. My experience has been as follows:

Windows
+ games
+ Adobe software
+ a decent Flash player
- various driver and software issues (my Windows 7 CD key didnt even work!)
+ but these issues can usually be solved with enough googling
- often crashes when reading my Linux partition

Linux
+ a package manager
+ a live CD
+ a decent command-line interface
+ decent file system layout
- various driver issues
- by googling, i can usually find "solutions" to these issues, but the solutions rarely work for me
+ can read my Windows partition
- doesnt have a lot of software i use (notably, no video editing)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts