Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
as an intp, complexity is essential, macs are made so that anyone can use them. simple, clean, fun. windows can be configured to do almost anything, it is very complex and extensive, so its good for intp's.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
INTP P.C. Macs are cool, but I simply have little practicality for them. At school, all the computers are P.C.'s, and at home, no one has a Mac. I maybe would get a Mac as a personal for fun home computer, but use a P.C. for serious business because of the larger market share and array of things I can do with it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Personally I like both. I feel it's necessary to keep your options open and try out everything available to you. I use Mac most of the time and a PC for gaming here and there, but I don't game nearly as much or as often as I used to on the comp.

I would be open to giving Linux a shot as well. I'm also wondering, if I were ever to take up programming at some point which operating system do you guys think would be most sufficient? I guess it's pretty open ended.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm also wondering, if I were ever to take up programming at some point which operating system do you guys think would be most sufficient? I guess it's pretty open ended.
Yeah, pretty much. From what i see online, Macs seem to be the most popular, though i've read that Linux is the most popular OS among Google engineers. And a lot of us use Windows because most of the non-programming software we use is Windows. But your choice of OS isnt worth worrying about when you're just getting started.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I use both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu distro's). I have UNR on my netbook, ubuntu and windows xp on my laptop, and windows 7 as well as ubuntu on my desktop.

I don't mind mac's but I would never buy one because of the initial cost. I like to build my own machines anyway.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
I'm going to invade your forum, INTPers, and state that I love Windows 7. I never liked the way that Macs were laid out, I think they hid too many features, you know? I also think that Mac hardware is too overpriced compared to equivalent Windows-compatible software.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I worked in PC labs on campus for 2 and a half years, with about 30 computers per room. There wasn't a single crash or problem the entire time.

I also worked in a mac lab for 3 months and they had constant crashes and problems. One time, a girl was working on an art project for 8 hours without saving it, then the computer crashed when she tried to save. And I had to hear about it. I was only working in the mac lab temporarily, and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Also, what is it with those ridiculous mouses that macs use..? I just thought the whole OS sucked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
PC, because:
-cheaper
-lots of games
-not as locked-down as a mac

From what I understand, Macs are good for people with a lot of money to throw around, those who want a fashion accessory, those who are more computer-shy, or artists/designers. If I was more of a computer geek, I would definitely toy around with Linux. But I really don't have the time or energy for that, lol.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
PC, because:
-cheaper
-lots of games
-not as locked-down as a mac

From what I understand, Macs are good for people with a lot of money to throw around, those who want a fashion accessory, those who are more computer-shy, or artists/designers. If I was more of a computer geek, I would definitely toy around with Linux. But I really don't have the time or energy for that, lol.
Sooooo....Macs are good for those consumers who don't know much about computers, but got shit loads of money? And are trendy? Sounds about right.

(I didn't consider your artist/developer thing, because I've made just about every form of digital art on my PC, and there are so many options of programs to use that it's retarded, and I know Mac's just straight up don't have that kind of software availability.)

I've toyed with linux. Nothing insane, I dual booted it a few times on a laptop and a PC of mine. Played with the console a bit. Blah, blah.

I always just played with it like a toy I was borrowing, and never used it to do any real 'computer time'.

Mostly because....well. I didn't see any reason too when all I had to do to avoid the huge pain in the ass it would take to accomplish anything is just...logoff and sign into windows. Haha.

(And yes, it IS a huge pain in the ass. If you want to do anything. Sure it functions (about as well as a netbook when it comes to features) right after a fresh installation...text editing, internet, gui, whatever.

But if you want to DO anything.....the time you'll have to invest is about 4x that of a Windows machine.

Unless you know linux like the back of your hand.

Which undoubtedly also takes like 4x longer than a windows machine >.<

Which for sure is worth it if you wanna go that pain in the ass route. But I've never NOT been able to do...anything at all that I wanted to on Windows. Ever. I have always been able to do ANYTHING. So I just have no reason at all to invest much time into learning something of that nature >.<

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sooooo....Macs are good for those consumers who don't know much about computers, but got shit loads of money? And are trendy? Sounds about right.
Macs are very popular among programmers, i.e. those consumers who know a lot about computers. I've also read that about half of their audience is made up of elderly people, who i wouldnt describe as a particularly trendy group.

But if you want to DO anything.....the time you'll have to invest is about 4x that of a Windows machine.
You're vague about what software you're using or why Windows is so much faster. Or when you tried Linux or what Linux you tried.
From what i gather, all you're doing (or all you've explicitly said you're doing) is graphics software. Fine, Windows / OS X is far, far superior to Linux in that domain. For most people, the Adobe suite is good enough, so i'm not sure that Windows is much better than OS X there.

But perhaps you never got around to installing software. Here's how it works on Linux:

1) Open a terminal
2) enter sudo apt-get install <program-name>

And here's how to install a program on Windows:

1) Open a web browser
2) Find the website of the software you want
3) Find the download page for that software
4) Download an installer
5) Run the installer
6) tell Windows that, yes, you want to run the program you told it to run
7) Click "next" or "continue" several times
8) Delete the installer

Are you sure it's Windows that's four times faster?

Linux certainly has its share of shortcomings. Windows does too. But the best way to educate people about an operating system's strengths and weaknesses is to offer clear examples and trust people to make technical decisions for informed, technically precise reasons.

I'm sorry if i'm being too contentious. You probably have excellent reasons for not liking Linux, and as a programmer, i have reasons to dislike Windows that 98% of computer users dont care about. I'm just frustrated because i feel like your post could be a lot more helpful to us all if it had more clear specifics.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I work in IT too, but I'm not religious about hardware platforms. What I like about PCs is that I can build my own and tweak it or do whatever I want to it and install all kinds of third-party add-ons if I want. I have nothing against Macs but I would never shell out for one. Still, they have some redeeming qualities in the interface design. I absolutely love Linux, especially Debian-based systems. I run several Linux-based server systems but my desktop is still Windows-based, mostly to support my .NET development. Eventually I will be 100% open source - even my recording studio will be converted (and I'll throw ProTools out the window with the Microsoft crap, LOL!). I also have a Windows-based tablet which I'd love to run Linux on but I'm not aware of any stable Linux OS for tablets.

Any of you do any sound recording with your setup? If so, what do you use?

Reactions: Kevinaswell

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Macs are very popular among programmers, i.e. those consumers who know a lot about computers. I've also read that about half of their audience is made up of elderly people, who i wouldnt describe as a particularly trendy group.

You're vague about what software you're using or why Windows is so much faster. Or when you tried Linux or what Linux you tried.
From what i gather, all you're doing (or all you've explicitly said you're doing) is graphics software. Fine, Windows / OS X is far, far superior to Linux in that domain. For most people, the Adobe suite is good enough, so i'm not sure that Windows is much better than OS X there.

But perhaps you never got around to installing software. Here's how it works on Linux:

1) Open a terminal
2) enter sudo apt-get install <program-name>

And here's how to install a program on Windows:

1) Open a web browser
2) Find the website of the software you want
3) Find the download page for that software
4) Download an installer
5) Run the installer
6) tell Windows that, yes, you want to run the program you told it to run
7) Click "next" or "continue" several times
8) Delete the installer

Are you sure it's Windows that's four times faster?

Linux certainly has its share of shortcomings. Windows does too. But the best way to educate people about an operating system's strengths and weaknesses is to offer clear examples and trust people to make technical decisions for informed, technically precise reasons.

I'm sorry if i'm being too contentious. You probably have excellent reasons for not liking Linux, and as a programmer, i have reasons to dislike Windows that 98% of computer users dont care about. I'm just frustrated because i feel like your post could be a lot more helpful to us all if it had more clear specifics.
I think you misinterpreted about 80% of what I was going for.

I'll reiterate tomorrow, but I gotta wake up in 7 hours for class :O

EDIT: Especially because I wasn't trying (obviously, I thought) to present any ground breaking insight of any sort, but simply expressing my experience and opinions. (And double especially because I never once meant to imply in any way that any of these OS's were any faster than any other :O Because....what? No.)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts