Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started Mad Men recently (currently in season 3), and I'm pretty curious what you feel the characters are? Of course I'm limited to just the characters of the first three seasons, so avoid spoilers and characters from 4-7? Or just give a spoiler alert if you have to. I'd definitely appreciate that, so thank you in advance.

Don: ISFP living in his shadow ENTJ
Betty: INTP (I was thinking INFP but she doesn't strike me as empathetic at all)
Roger: ESTJ
Duck: ESTJ
Peggy: INFJ
Pete: ENTP
Ken: ENFx (I lean toward ENFP)
Sal: ENFJ
Harry: INFx
Paul: ENFP
Joan: ESTJ
Midge: ENFP
Rachel: INTJ

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don: Lol, no. IxTP, leaning ISTP, zero chance he is an F, certainly nothing to do with a "shadow." He doesn't act like an E or a J at any time really, let alone F. He's very spontaneous, rule-averse, private, analytical, emotionally distant/cynical ("I invented love to sell nylons"), and reserved. Strong silent type. Hates parties, REALLY hates commitment.
Betty: ISxJ, leaning ISFJ, absolutely no way is she an N or a P (also empathy doesn't really have anything to do with type, contrary to popular belief, as Ts can be empathetic... Crazy I know!)
Roger: Obvious ESTP is obvious (Though if he's not ENTP is the only other option, which would be sweet cause I love his character.)
Duck: Don't remember his character enough to say, other than he was a DICK. Is that a type? (Is DUCK a type either? That might be even more appropriate.)
Peggy: Yep, INFJ, bingo
Pete: Yeah, ENTP, which I have mixed feelings about as an ENTP myself...
Ken: Eh, I dunno, maybe ENFP, or maybe INFP, or ISFP, or something else entirely
Sal: Don't remember enough either, but ENFJ seems close from what I remember
Harry: Creep, I dunno, probably INTJ
Paul: Was that the Hare Krishna guy? I dunno, maybe ENFP.
Joan: Huh? No, definitely ENFJ. That you typed her the same thing you also thought Roger was really puzzles me.
Midge and Rachel: Don't remember either of them enough to say

How could you leave out Bert (INTP) and Lane (Probably ISTJ)? Or Megan (ENFP)? They certainly are more significant characters than some of the ones you listed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I said I'd only been so far in the show -- I couldn't have typed characters I hadn't see yet (or couldn't do well, like Bert).

I still stand by Dick being an ISFP. Look at the flashbacks. Look at how he is around people like Anna. Or when he first met Roger. Or anything from when he was a kid. Hell, his Fi sometimes accidentally slips out.

Dick Whitman is an ISFP -- Don Draper, his persona he's molded, is an ENTx.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don: ISTP - I agree with everything ENTPness said. His soft side comes from his inferior Fe. Much of his character arc is an attempt to reconcile his messed up women issues with his inferior function's desire for connecton.

Betty: ISFP - Her angst about being a housewife stems from her frustrated Se. Hence why she blooms when she takes up horse riding and on their holiday to Rome. She struggles to express her inner troubles because her extroverted judging functon, Te, is at the bottom of her functional stack. She is an aesthete to the point where she was literally a model. Lots of Mad Men fans accuse her variously of being selfish, immature and bratty which is how Fi-doms can sometimes be perceived by Fe users who don't make the effort to understand them.

Roger: ESFP - His hedonism, impulsiveness and lightning wit read Se-dom, and he has that certain sad-sack strain of Fi that SFPs have when they put on puppy dog eyes and lean on others to pump up their mood, regardless of how appropriate it is. This is especially prominent in his interactions with Joan.

Peggy: INFJ - Its hard to type INFJs because you don't meet many in life, but no other type seems to fit Peggy quite as snug as INFJ. She refuses to let traditionalism obscure her vision or her life (Ni). She can be impulsive (Se), especially in her relationships with men. She is indeed very caring, but in the all-encompassing manner of Fe that lets her care for pathetic alcoholics like Freddy and Duck, and messed up misanthropes like Pete and Don.

Pete: I'm genuinely not sure. No functions stand out. His character is defined by his insecurity and his attempts to countenance it by being a macho 'master of the universe' type. All types and can be insecure, and the latter could be motivated by Se, or by Si assimilation of the Se values of his father and Don. I'd lean ESFP or ENTJ.

Joan: ESTJ - Every office has a Te-Dom that makes the place tick and for Sterling Cooper it is Joan. She organises everything. Guardians assimilate their surroundings and no character on the show embodies her surroundings like Joan. She is everything a woman was supposed to be in the early 60s. This is why she is a secretary, why she views sex appeal as the key to her career, why she marries a complete douche just because of his outer respectability...because her Si tells her this is normal, this is the done thing, this is what she should be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Never mind. I'm in season six now -- whatever made me think Don (as Dick) could've been an ISFP is pretty much gone. I mean, holy shit. I still feel bad for him, but he's borderline evil at this point. I stopped rooting for Don from the last line of season five. I feel more sympathy for Betty (who I hated from seasons 1-4) than Don. Shit, I like Pete more (to be fair I've always kind of liked Pete. Never understood the widespread hatred for him - he's miles better than Don in terms of sheer humanity).

So, my update thus far:

Don: IxTP (his false persona oozes ENTP though)
Megan: ENFx
Betty: ISTJ
Sally: INFP
Roger: ESTP
Ted: ENTJ
Ken: ENFJ
Harry: ENTJ
Joan: ESTJ (No way she's an ENFJ)
Bert: ISFJ (I'm not sure -- he doesn't strike me as a T though)
Ginsberg: INTP
Rizzo: ESxP (He's gotten way more likeable from when he was introduced)
Lane was an INTJ.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Never mind. I'm in season six now -- whatever made me think Don (as Dick) could've been an ISFP is pretty much gone. I mean, holy shit. I still feel bad for him, but he's borderline evil at this point. I stopped rooting for Don from the last line of season five. I feel more sympathy for Betty (who I hated from seasons 1-4) than Don. Shit, I like Pete more (to be fair I've always kind of liked Pete. Never understood the widespread hatred for him - he's miles better than Don in terms of sheer humanity).

So, my update thus far:

Lane was an INTJ.
I have only seen up to season 6 so please don't tell me anything about season 7.

Megan strikes me as an ENFP; she seems very in the moment and emoitionally impulsive though I originally thought she was ENFJ due to thinking she had Fe but she strikes me more as Fi.

Sally comes off as ISFP to me; I've never noticed any N in her, no strange thoughts or metaphors though I might be biased because I don't like her.

Harry has always struck me as INTP. He had an underused Fe in my opinion, an absurd sense of humour and strikes me as a T.

And there are even more typing here. Mad Men

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have only seen up to season 6 so please don't tell me anything about season 7.

Megan strikes me as an ENFP; she seems very in the moment and emoitionally impulsive though I originally thought she was ENFJ due to thinking she had Fe but she strikes me more as Fi.

Sally comes off as ISFP to me; I've never noticed any N in her, no strange thoughts or metaphors though I might be biased because I don't like her.

Harry has always struck me as INTP. He had an underused Fe in my opinion, an absurd sense of humour and strikes me as a T.

And there are even more typing here. Mad Men
I'll have to chime in with an opinion or two in a few weeks.

Up until the finale (I ditched cable long, long ago), I hadn't seen the show and assumed it was a series about government agents.

Now that I've got a general idea about the show (and completely interested in the historically-accurate / journey-through-a-period-in-time aspect of it), I've ordered the show DVDs, up through Season 7 (Part I).
When they arrive next week, I'll start immersing myself in them, and get 7 (Part II) later this summer.

These shows are right up my alley.
If I wasn't working my present job, I'd be one of those annoying assistants on the movie lot hired to make sure a '77 Cordoba or a Jimmy Carter bumper sticker doesn't end up in a film taking place in 1973. :laughing:

Few decades are as profoundly full of change as the journey from 1960 to 1970, and I'm curious to see how they all did with it (then I'll delve into their personality types).

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Dick Whitman is an ISFP -- Don Draper, his persona he's molded, is an ENTx.
Where do you get the idea that he's molded a persona from? Besides, Don is an obvious INTJ. I think the actor (Jon Hamm) is an ISTP though, which might confuse things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was a while ago when I thought that -- when I got through season 6 I reversed my opinion. I've gotta disagree on INTJ though. INTP makes more sense because he's incredibly reckless and implusive.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
That was a while ago when I thought that -- when I got through season 6 I reversed my opinion. I've gotta disagree on INTJ though. INTP makes more sense because he's incredibly reckless and implusive.
Bolded is a strong Se characteristic.

INTJ is correct. Don's marital problems, his coldness, his desire to make big bucks, his easily taking control of a room and barking out orders -- Te. Weak Fi. The reckless, impulsive, hedonistic behavior is inferior Se.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don: Lol, no. IxTP, leaning ISTP, zero chance he is an F, certainly nothing to do with a "shadow." He doesn't act like an E or a J at any time really, let alone F. He's very spontaneous, rule-averse, private, analytical, emotionally distant/cynical ("I invented love to sell nylons"), and reserved. Strong silent type. Hates parties, REALLY hates commitment.
Betty: ISxJ, leaning ISFJ, absolutely no way is she an N or a P (also empathy doesn't really have anything to do with type, contrary to popular belief, as Ts can be empathetic... Crazy I know!)
Roger: Obvious ESTP is obvious (Though if he's not ENTP is the only other option, which would be sweet cause I love his character.)
Duck: Don't remember his character enough to say, other than he was a DICK. Is that a type? (Is DUCK a type either? That might be even more appropriate.)
Peggy: Yep, INFJ, bingo
Pete: Yeah, ENTP, which I have mixed feelings about as an ENTP myself...
Ken: Eh, I dunno, maybe ENFP, or maybe INFP, or ISFP, or something else entirely
Sal: Don't remember enough either, but ENFJ seems close from what I remember
Harry: Creep, I dunno, probably INTJ
Paul: Was that the Hare Krishna guy? I dunno, maybe ENFP.
Joan: Huh? No, definitely ENFJ. That you typed her the same thing you also thought Roger was really puzzles me.
Midge and Rachel: Don't remember either of them enough to say

How could you leave out Bert (INTP) and Lane (Probably ISTJ)? Or Megan (ENFP)? They certainly are more significant characters than some of the ones you listed.
No, Pete is not an ENTP: he cares too much about people pleasing, schmoozing, and is too much of a pretty boy to be ENTP

·
Registered
2 Posts

So, my update thus far:

Lane was an INTJ.
nonono he would be ESTP, ENFP, anything before ENTP but he's too desperate, approval-seeking, and smarmy to be an ENTP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts