Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an introvert, i've always been confused with my heavy alone time but my prime interest and motivation are to be with humans.
I used to say, "I like humans; but I don't like what they do."

Anyways, I recently read a book called: "Now What? The Young Person's Guide to Choosing the Perfect Career" by Nicholas Lore.

The author suggested a new personality trait that I wish to share, Maestro (25%) and Tribal (75%).
It says:
"Tribals and Maestro

As i've noted, we are all members of a species scientists call "tribal primates" because we live together in a society and interact with each other. But some of us have a personal orientation that is more tribal then others. This distinction says a lot about how we best fit in the working world.

Tribals
The way we use the word tribal here communicates what the majority of people (about 75 percent) have in common: they are usually most successful and satisfied working with and through other people as members of an organization, group, or "tribe". They have a broad, generalist frame of reference for life, usually getting bored with work that is highly specialized and too narrow in scope. They are usually at their best contributing to the goals of an organization. They are on the same wavelength as the group. Like a member of a flock of birds or a herd of gazelles, they move with the flow of the group. Because they are so attuned to the tribe, they derive many of their values, goals, and points of view from their tribe. Most of the "in crowd" in high school are outgoing Tribals. They like to be in the part of the beehive where the other bees are buzzing and dancing. For more introverted Tribals, this orientation may not be quite as obvious; they are happiest in a quieter corner of the human beehive, but still working with and through others. Tribals generally understand human nature without specialized training more easily than most Maestros. For example, exceptional managers and salespeople are usually Tribals who have an inborn understanding of human psychology, demonstrated by their ability to motivate people. Their success often depends on their interpersonal abilities or their gift for fitting easily into the culture of an organization. They like the shared risks and rewards of being a part of a group. Tribals often choose careers in general business, management, personnel, high school teaching, supervision, sales, advertising, administration, banking, or human resources.

Maestro
Maestros are in the minority in our society. Maestros usually fit best where they can do a whole and complete job in a particular area, usually an area where they've developed in-depth knowledge or mastery. They're usually paid for their knowledge or special talent in that particular area, such as a doctor, lawyer, scientist, actor, artist, or CPA. That specialization is the heart and soul of what they do.
Maestro comprise about 25 percent of the total population. You could say that they are on their own wavelength. They are individual workers, preferring to be most valued and paid for their mastery of a particular discipline. Their success usually depends directly on special training or a talent for a chosen field. At work, they like having people seek them out for their mastery, expertise, or knowledge. They most enjoy being appreciated and valued for the unique contribution they make. Maestros usually gravitate to careers that put them on a raised platform of expertise, such as a college professor. They tend to understand the world through a unique, personal, and subjective way of thinking."

(The author had a rate yourself, but i'm not adding that and it is for you to buy the book. As the book's intention is to discover your working environment and mine is to educate.)

While I haven't seen any parralels to how this may affect functions directly, I have perceived how it may effect or require discernment toward traits, definitions, and health.

All traits seem to have to effect by Maestro and Tribal:
For traits, I compared the two to Introversion and Extroversion to see that it makes their lines a little more vague. You know how introversion has typically been confused with shyness and sensitivity? Well, while at a first glance it may appear that an introvert is a maestro and extrovert is a tribal, I think this may have been why the statistics of E and I have been up to lots of change. As in, is the 25% applied to introverts or is it to maestro? (added: the author tried showing that there are introvert and extroverts of both types)
In comparison with Sensate and Intuitive, I was brought to question the point of vague/specialized. If an N is more abstract and a S is more specific; then how does that compare to a maestro preferring specialized and a tribal preferring general? Again, the statistics are playing with as Intuitives (25% to 33%), Maestros (25%), Sensates (66% to 75%), and Tribals (75%)
My quandary with Tribal and Maestro toward Thinking and Feeling was in the tribal's acting better with human nature ("inborn understanding of human psychology"). I thought about it and maybe a Maestro understands human nature, but doesn't act naturally with it? (Perhaps this is my own misunderstanding.) And again with the statistics. If the majority of females are F (75%) and the majority of males are T(75%); then compared with the American stereotypes, a male would be preferred Maestro (25%) while a female preferred Tribal (75%).
Not sure if I saw any connection between Judging and Perceiving (getting tired). I could see it in correlation though as certain types are more prone go with the flow and others are more individualist. Like INFP for going with the flow, and maybe INTJ for individual. But that makes everything more vague, for like an INFP, Enneagram 4 (Individualist) and some INTJs ability to socialize (as my girlfriend calls it, 'chameleon'). (on second thought, maybe one side isn't the true self?)

As for the definitions, I already mostly explained in that it makes the lines of what the definition really means, more vague. I think specifically in Introversion, Sensitivity, Shy, then Maestro/Tribal.

And in levels of health, sort of like how an Introvert would be considered a problem by some ('The Introvert Cure', Society, Stereotypes), I can see the issue both ways for Tribal and Maestro.
Someone that has a problem studying, said she could only do it in the library with other people around. (again with the confusion, is that extroversion or tribal?). And I think the Maestro would be seen as the loner figure perhaps?

However, in looking back, the authors intent was relating this specifically to a working environment, while I apply it to everything else. So, I could be at a misunderstanding.

In further theory, I think this system relates to the instinctual variants of the Enneagram, maybe even better then Introversion and Extroversion do.
Those instinctual variants: Sexual, Social, Self-Preservation. I can see the Social preferring Tribal, while more of a mix between Sexual/Self-Preservation between Tribal/Maestro. As a self-preservation may find safety in a group or alone, and a sexual may just have their motivation be for intimacy.

Maybe Tribal/Maestro is already integrated with the MBTI, or perhaps it requires the need to be discerned? As in discernment would produce a more pure understanding of one's functions?
As for myself, I think I can predict the reason I don't attend MBTI gatherings in my city as they are more tribal oriented when I prefer it learned in this environment of my own.

Finally, to be a doink! I will add my two visions of a Maestro and a Tribal as the difference between two video game series in the stealth genre: Thief and Assassins's Creed. And I may be entirely wrong on this, but I see the former, Thief, as a Maestro. In this game, you are obviously a thief, utilizing the dark and absence of sound toward your advantage, as in using the environment that is mostly nonchanging, you, the thief have complete control. In regards to people, you avoid them. In this game, you work for yourself and your own goals (even though he somehow saves the world =p). Whereas in Assassin's creed, the people are what are to your advantage, utilizing social stealth. Your environment is constantly changing, so you go with the flow to it, until ready to strike. In this game, you are an assassin. While you play most the game alone, you are considered part of an order and for the good of the crusades or the good of Italy (I based this more on the professions requirements as opposed to the characters. If it was based on personalities, then more aimed toward the AC 2 character or AC Brotherhood)
I can imagine the tribal word applies better with a leader/follower model, while the maestro is an individualist.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
You're linking the Maestro and Tribal traits to the functions of MBTI based on statistics that may be wrong. I really don't believe that intuitives or introverts are that rare. I've read better explanations that point to the number of extroverts and introverts being equal if not a bit more on the introvert side. And I'm not sure about the N/S either...
But your way of linking them was flawed is all I'm saying...And your connection between genders and maestro or tribal doesn't really make much sense either.

None of the traits of either can really be linked up to I/E, N/S, F/T, or J/P clearly or in the ways you may think. I don't see how introversion, sensing, intuiting, and extroversion can really be correlated. Some of the traits of each could point to certain cognitive functions, but even then it doesn't mean that someone with that function as their dominant will be part of that group...maestro or tribal. And I'm not sure how being an intuitive and an introvert would make you less in tune with people. That doesn't make sense to me.

In further theory, I think this system relates to the instinctual variants of the Enneagram, maybe even better then Introversion and Extroversion do.
Those instinctual variants: Sexual, Social, Self-Preservation. I can see the Social preferring Tribal, while more of a mix between Sexual/Self-Preservation between Tribal/Maestro. As a self-preservation may find safety in a group or alone, and a sexual may just have their motivation be for intimacy.
It would depend more on the actual enneagram type. But I don't think enneagram and these tribal/maestro orientation thingies can really be connected either.

That's just with my understanding. Also, there was a maestro/tribal test on this site some time back, most people got maestro, not tribal.

Reactions: Ekeh Mayu

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're linking the Maestro and Tribal traits to the functions of MBTI based on statistics that may be wrong. I really don't believe that intuitives or introverts are that rare. I've read better explanations that point to the number of extroverts and introverts being equal if not a bit more on the introvert side. And I'm not sure about the N/S either...
But your way of linking them was flawed is all I'm saying...And your connection between genders and maestro or tribal doesn't really make much sense either.

None of the traits of either can really be linked up to I/E, N/S, F/T, or J/P clearly or in the ways you may think. I don't see how introversion, sensing, intuiting, and extroversion can really be correlated. Some of the traits of each could point to certain cognitive functions, but even then it doesn't mean that someone with that function as their dominant will be part of that group...maestro or tribal. And I'm not sure how being an intuitive and an introvert would make you less in tune with people. That doesn't make sense to me.

It would depend more on the actual enneagram type. But I don't think enneagram and these tribal/maestro orientation thingies can really be connected either.

That's just with my understanding. Also, there was a maestro/tribal test on this site some time back, most people got maestro, not tribal.
I believe most of the statistics on MBTI and the book are under motivation to assist people in careers; therefore the evaluations are taken at colleges, workplaces, etc... and typically not over the internet.
As has been theorized in some of these forums, the internet (or forums) contain a higher percentage of introverts and intuitives. (unless those are ideals or misdescribed, which is quite possible with personality tests!)
Furthermore, about the statistics on introversion/extroversion and maestro/tribal, I put them under questions because they have never been set in stone. At first it was believed introversion was a minority, while in the past few years it has been said both introversion and extroversion are more balanced. (Hence why maybe the original 25% was mistaken as what is the 25% for tribals.)

On Maestro and Tribal, I believe there has to be more Tribals or else the test/description is flawed. The author stated that we are tribal primates. I think in the total population that the terms, maestro and tribal, would contradict, and the scales basis would have to be based on maestro primates (but here is my undeveloped Ti added with poor Ne trying to explain this).

I don't feel like i'm making any answers or statements. You're probably write that all of it is illogical and only speculation.
I only suggest that the comparison may weave way for better understanding of a person's type. Like how introversion is confused with shy and sensitive. I think it is also can be confused with maestro or tribal.
Through comparison again, I brought the type conflicts so that maybe there needs to be a better description or portrayal of types and traits.

Unfortunately I would rather have seen a comparison of whether it does effect cognitive functions of the MBTI; however I have not yet had any revealed to me.
Although I did believe it may hint at where ones functions thrive.

Was hoping people may take their own individual interest an add speculation as i'm certainly not claiming ownership of any credible understanding.
And hoping that by adding it in a descriptive format would provide individual learning as opposed to taking those silly tests. (I'm pretty convinced the tests present a false understanding of the MBTI. But their intent isn't to teach the MBTI. So why people prefer the tests is my own dispute.)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I believe most of the statistics on MBTI and the book are under motivation to assist people in careers; therefore the evaluations are taken at colleges, workplaces, etc... and typically not over the internet.
Most of the statistics I've read anywhere vary way too much for me to really pay much attention to them lol

Oh, if I wasn't on point or if I didn't read your OP thoroughly, my apologies.

introverts and intuitives. (unless those are ideals or misdescribed, which is quite possible with personality tests!)
Yeah...the MBTI test definitions are not correct...
Those introversion traits often apply to extroverts as the thinking traits may apply to feelers and vice versa and so on.

maybe there needs to be a better description or portrayal of types and traits.
There does. I prefer looking at cognitive functions rather than the MBTI functions, though. There are a lot of ideas that are widespread that are also pretty flawed, in my opinion. Also, some of the various ideas contradict each other.
Unfortunately I would rather have seen a comparison of whether it does effect cognitive functions of the MBTI; however I have not yet had any revealed to me.
Although I did believe it may hint at where ones functions thrive.
Can you elaborate on that? I'm kinda interested in this thread, even if my original post was off and I didn't quite read through your original post thoroughly lol...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts