Personality Cafe banner

13021 - 13040 of 13044 Posts

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
How about this for an idea for a Mafia game: There are 3 rooms in a row, room A, B, and C. At the start of the game, each player chooses which room they will start in, and during the day each player must choose to move to another room, but can only move into a room that is adjacent to their room (if they are in room A, they can only move to room B. If they are in room B, they can move to either room A or room C). During the night phase, players with a night time power (NK, investigate, role block, etc.) may only target players that are within the same room that they are also in.

How does that sound?

·
Mafia God
170 Posts
How about this for an idea for a Mafia game: There are 3 rooms in a row, room A, B, and C. At the start of the game, each player chooses which room they will start in, and during the day each player must choose to move to another room, but can only move into a room that is adjacent to their room (if they are in room A, they can only move to room B. If they are in room B, they can move to either room A or room C). During the night phase, players with a night time power (NK, investigate, role block, etc.) may only target players that are within the same room that they are also in.

How does that sound?
You didn't explain how lynching works, but assuming it's an otherwise standard game from what you described here, I've played/ran a few games similar. Owner had a couple of games called 7 Minutes In Heaven in which players were randomly assigned to a room with one other person. @BFG and I (mostly her) ran a game on DM years ago where there were two places that players could go during night phase, and they got to choose during the day which area they wanted. Then I ran a Game of Thrones game where there were three night chats, each with a third of the game going to it... I don't think the selections factored into night abilities, but the other ones went fairly okay.

The big thing I recommend is making sure that people who can otherwise communicate can still communicate/strategize. But as long as that's happening, it should be okay?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
You didn't explain how lynching works, but assuming it's an otherwise standard game from what you described here, I've played/ran a few games similar. Owner had a couple of games called 7 Minutes In Heaven in which players were randomly assigned to a room with one other person. @BFG and I (mostly her) ran a game on DM years ago where there were two places that players could go during night phase, and they got to choose during the day which area they wanted. Then I ran a Game of Thrones game where there were three night chats, each with a third of the game going to it... I don't think the selections factored into night abilities, but the other ones went fairly okay.

The big thing I recommend is making sure that people who can otherwise communicate can still communicate/strategize. But as long as that's happening, it should be okay?
Cool, then it should work. Lynching would be as normal, and wouldn't matter where the players are located, and communication would also be the same. I think this would be interesting to see it play out!
So this is basically the same concept as the 7 Minutes in Heaven game? How did that play out?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Owner ran a bases game a few years ago too...i forget what it was called, and the bases were arranged in a circle but players didn't know the order (i think there were 6 total?). each base acted as a power role controlled by the people at that base. once you started at a base, the players could send one player to an adjacent base or opt to stay at the base they were at. i think the biggest issue with that one is mafia all started at the same base and it happened to be the investigative base. no one knew what base did what and i don't think we got to pick our starting locations (or if we did, we were limited to pick between two "home" bases) so depending on how you managed the PRs, you might need to keep that in mind. the bases were night actions only, too. so you could only communicate with the person sharing your base during the night phase in your assigned QT. i think each base started with 2-3 people. you might want more than 3 rooms to start?

·
Registered
ISFP | 1w9 6w7 4w3 sp/sx (phobic 6)
4,245 Posts
Owner ran a bases game a few years ago too...i forget what it was called, and the bases were arranged in a circle but players didn't know the order (i think there were 6 total?). each base acted as a power role controlled by the people at that base. once you started at a base, the players could send one player to an adjacent base or opt to stay at the base they were at. i think the biggest issue with that one is mafia all started at the same base and it happened to be the investigative base. no one knew what base did what and i don't think we got to pick our starting locations (or if we did, we were limited to pick between two "home" bases) so depending on how you managed the PRs, you might need to keep that in mind. the bases were night actions only, too. so you could only communicate with the person sharing your base during the night phase in your assigned QT. i think each base started with 2-3 people. you might want more than 3 rooms to start?

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
401 Posts
Cue and I ran a game called the Tower years and years ago (2015??) that had two different elevators that the players had to split themselves into overnight, each with their own chat. I think Alles also ran something based around pirates with two boats at one point around the same time, maybe a bit later, but I was not involved so I have such a hazy memory of it lol.

13021 - 13040 of 13044 Posts