Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
In this thread we can all discuss anything related to Mafia that does not belong in any other thread, be it strategies, trends or preferences for the game.

And of course, I won't mind the occasional spam as long as the thread is not completely derailed. xD

Chat away!

Useful links

Newbie Guide - MafiaWiki

Roles - MafiaWiki

Commonly Used Abbreviations - MafiaWiki

A General Guide to Mafia

Guide to Mafia for New Players and Q&A

A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia - MafiaWiki

Section Rules

1) Have fun. Always.

2) Only two games will be run at the same time in the order specified in the Game Moderator Queue.

3) Signups for a new mafia game will start after the previous game is over. The signups for a subsequent, concurrent game can only begin after the previous game's slots are filled.

4) Do not bring outside influences into the game - this includes threats, bribes, wagers, promises, alliances, etc. Using knowledge from previous games is perfectly acceptable, but try not to carry grudges from one game to another.

5) If you cannot trust the mod, do not sign up for their game.

6) Do not talk outside the game thread about an ongoing game except where allowed to do so by your role. Likewise, do not use bbcode or hidden text to hide secret messages - this equates to discussion outside the thread.

7) Do not edit your posts (applies to only a few, i.e. mafia forum moderators, but still =P).

8) Do not quote communications with the moderator (in particular, your role PM). Paraphrasing is usually ok.

9) Do not talk after you are dead or replaced. Some moderators do allow contentless "Bah!" or "Gah!" posts, but you should never reveal information once you are dead.

10) Play to win the game. When you sign up for a game, you agree to play to the wincon of the role you are assigned.

11) PerC Forum rules apply. You should not make any post, or start any thread, with the intention of abusing, ridiculing, insulting, offending, or upsetting any other user on this site. Within a game, criticism of another player's play is acceptable - making it personal is not, and may result in action by a moderator. Outside a game, determination of the intention of the poster will be made by a moderator.

12) Mafia forum mods call the shots and are fallible. If you disagree with a decision, please PM the moderator in charge. If you disagree with a game mod's decisions, PM them. If needed, you can PM a mafia forum moderator as well for their opinion on the dispute. Just remember: keep such things to PMs, not public posts.

13) If you believe that someone has broken these rules in your game, please PM a mafia moderator. If someone has violated PerC rules, report the post.

14) Game moderators have the option to restrict players from playing their games if that player violates forum rules.

15) Quick Topic game chats are most often made public when a mafia game ends. When you sign up for a game, you implicitly agree to release the information in your game chat. Please be aware that they will not remain private and post accordingly.

·
Ace of Spades
10w11 sp/so
3,098 Posts

·
MOTM November 2013
2,702 Posts

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
In this thread we can all discuss anything related to Mafia that does not belong in any other thread, be it strategies, trends or preferences for the game.

And of course, I won't mind the occasional spam as long as the thread is not completely derailed. xD

Chat away!
An archive of all the QTs would be nice, if people just wanted to look at how different teams cooperated.

But that's probably a bit much so.

*sits tight*

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An archive of all the QTs would be nice, if people just wanted to look at how different teams cooperated.

But that's probably a bit much so.

*sits tight*
It's not too hard actually. Going through all previous games, QT was first used in Mafia XIV. Here's one from that game.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Valid point. :)

I have so many random ideas for this forum. I don't know where to start. Or if I should for that matter. xD
I believe you should. =) I welcome any ideas to make this section better.

On another note, @Vergil's Space Station Fever QT links to the Titanomachy QT. o_O This has abuse potential and I'm glad I found it, I wouldn't want people finding my Pick your Power shared QT while the game is on from my 2of4 game!

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
I believe you should. =) I welcome any ideas to make this section better.

On another note, @Vergil's Space Station Fever QT links to the Titanomachy QT. o_O This has abuse potential and I'm glad I found it, I wouldn't want people finding my Pick your Power shared QT while the game is on from my 2of4 game!
Maybe she recycled the QTs? lol. :)
If you make new ones, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe she recycled the QTs? lol. :)
If you make new ones, it shouldn't be a problem.
Nope, I just experimented with it. Removing the old shared QTs and replacing them with completely new ones does not change the url of your shared topics.

The only way to circumvent this is to post each QT link separately without enabling the "shared" option anymore.

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
Nope, I just experimented with it. Removing the old shared QTs and replacing them with completely new ones does not change the url of your shared topics.

The only way to circumvent this is to post each QT link separately without enabling the "shared" option anymore.
Ah I see. It's more convenient to link them separately anyway. :D

What say you about multiple games at once and things like that? :)

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah I see. It's more convenient to link them separately anyway. :D

What say you about multiple games at once and things like that? :)
I totally encourage that and the only thing troubling me a bit is how to organize the mod signup order. Do we run Titanomachy and Hamlet at the same time for example? Or do we make another list of mods who want to run small games and run the first one at the same time as Titanomachy?

It would be neat that once we get more urls/resources, we could compile them into a big post and LVT could edit them into a section of his OP :D
I can definitely do that. A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia - MafiaWiki comes to mind. xD

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
I totally encourage that and the only thing troubling me a bit is how to organize the mod signup order. Do we run Titanomachy and Hamlet at the same time for example? Or do we make another list of mods who want to run small games and run the first one at the same time as Titanomachy?
I was thinking that we could run smaller games on the sides of those already listed in the mod sign up thread. Also I think depending on the size of each of the mod sign up games, some of them could even be run side by side. We could have criteria for that lol, and smaller games might give newcomers the basics of mafia if the mods don't get to creative with their setups.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking that we could run smaller games on the sides of those already listed in the mod sign up thread. Also I think depending on the size of each of the mod sign up games, some of them could even be run side by side. We could have criteria for that lol, and smaller games might give newcomers the basics of mafia if the mods don't get to creative with their setups.
Agreed. We'd also need to know the size of all planned games as well as when the mod can or can't run it.

But I figure that we'll have to wait for the poll to end first, as I imagine that certain people will stop playing depending on the decision.

·
Banned
733 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
What do you guys usually do on the first day with only knowing minimal things (if you are town sided)?
Do you random lynch - don't care if we lynch an important role?
Abstain - want more information?
Go with your gut feeling and lynch someone you think is the most scummiest?
Go with the majority of the group - scared that the town might peg you as a mafia

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you guys usually do on the first day with only knowing minimal things (if you are town sided)?
Trying to get as much information as possible, if no one else seems to be causing reactions I may even make myself look scummy to get them. Anything that gets a discussion going helps.

As a general rule of thumb, yes for the first day. I'll of course vote for whoever I believe is more likely to be scum than the rest.

As Town, I'll always press for more information. As scum, I'll try to get only specific pieces of information out there that can misguide Town without being too obvious. =P

I'd only do that on the first day if there's minimal discussion. With discussion, I don't rely on a gut feeling alone, but it certainly helps if that agrees with the reads I'm getting.

Go with the majority of the group - scared that the town might peg you as a mafia
Hah, no. xD Not really.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Personally I pester people and hope they will trip up.

·
Banned
733 Posts
I post a lot. And then I disappear and lurk for a while and come out with ideas. =P Not exactly a great way to let people know I'm town, I know, haha.

I don't do 'random' things.

You get information by action.

Essentially, if it comes down to it.

Mixture of this and the above. If I can see their point, I will do it, otherwise, I will not.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.