Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
INFP
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rewatched the first season of Making a Murderer and was struck by something: Dean Strang, one of Avery's two defense lawyers, is a truly quintessential INFP. I realise that it's been a few years now since the first season was released, so I'm not sure how many people reading this will have watched it recently enough to remember him, but I think he might be the most holistically captured INFP I've ever seen on screen.

Like lots of people, I first watched Making a Murderer shortly after it was released and found myself crushing on Strang, only to discover online that I wasn't alone. I don't think I was consciously thinking about his personality type at that point, though; maybe because I've been having lots of discussions about MBTI lately with a friend who's recently discovered it, I was more attuned to it this time. What people have primarily seemed to love about him is his empathy, kindness and dedication to justice - justice in the sense of what genuinely feels right rather than what society has deemed to be right (with which he's frequently at odds). When the show was first released he was seen as a bit of an 'unlikely' hero, described in various places as rather nerdy and timid, but although he's soft-spoken it's clear that he's anything but feeble; in court he's passionate, even feisty when cross-examining witnesses who appear to be lying or involved in corruption. In this interview with him, he claims that when he first chose to study law, he didn't think he'd ever set foot in a courtroom because he doesn't like conflict or being the centre of attention, and found it difficult to be a prosecution lawyer, but found his niche as a criminal defense lawyer because he likes to stand up for the 'underdog' and doesn't like 'bullies'. In other words, he needed to feel as if his job aligned with his principles and had deep human importance; when standing up for what he believed in, he was able to set aside the fear of conflict and shyness he felt. What could be more INFP than that?

I also think that his particular brand of empathy demonstrates the difference between INFP and INFJ empathy: that the INFJ feels a rawer, more immediate empathy, absorbing others' emotions, while an INFP empathises on a loftier, more abstract level, imaginatively constructing a person's perspective. Strang doesn't appear to struggle with that sort of INFJ absorption, as he can be quite tenacious and intense in a way that INFJs' extraverted feeling would generally shy away from. However, he's constantly inhabiting others' perspectives (it's obviously what enables him to empathise with and want to defend criminals). He even empathises with the officers he accuses of corruption; when he's first introduced in the third episode of the series, he points out in an interview that he can understand the 'human emotions' that would compel someone to plant evidence. This empathy, coupled with the fact that he's clearly deeply troubled by injustice, gives him that sort of gently sad demeanour that often characterises INFPs.

I also like how the documentary exploits what INFPs are so adept at: seeing the broader significance and philosophcal implications of human phenomena. Unlike the other defense lawyer he works with on the case, Jerry Buting (who is also very awesome but definitely not an INFP haha - maybe INTJ?), Strang can't just constrain himself in interviews to discussing the specifics of this case; he's consistently remarking on its wider implications and on abstract ideas around liberty, the pursuit of truth, etc. He's obviously an extremely intelligent INFP, and his comments act as a sort of commentary on the events depicted, encouraging viewers to think beyond this particular case. In interviews after the show was released, he said he hoped it would open a dialogue about broader problems in the American and other nations' justice systems. He probably wouldn't like that instead, I'm opening a dialogue on why he's an INFP, but, well, here we are ;). I quite like this element of the show because I think INFPs are so often associated with their Fi, and less attention is paid to their Ne, which is really quite central to what they offer to the world; they tend to be very abstract, academic thinkers, but are often made out to be less so than their INTP counterparts.

Anyway, in typical INFP fashion I've dissected this far too deeply, but I was really was quite moved to find a kindred INFP spirit on my second viewing of this show. For anyone who’s unsure of how this type differs from other similar types, I think they’d be hard-pressed to find a better example of it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts