Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sucked at it, both at the same time... I'm actually a serious kind person craving for knowledge, not any kind of jest... That's why my friends loves to make jokes about me and it was kind of annoying... But sometimes I get what they mean and later laughed off about it... Do you also felt/do the same thing?

Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
"Jokes" as in a deliberate orchestrated attempt to make others laugh, are not my thing.

I like to drop funny observations when they come to me. That's what makes me laugh, and the way I enjoy making others laugh.

Dry, ironic, witty, sarcastic, sardonic humor is what I like.

It's kind of humorous (to me) all in itself when people try to make folks like me laugh (rather than just allowing it to flow). It's not something you can force, unless one is of the baser comedy persuasion (sorry, feel guilty now).

·
Registered
930 Posts
Your mom is funny.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Hm...not sure if I relate. I was a class-clown all throughout school until getting to university where my peers bored me so much that this part of myself just died.

I found in most areas of my life, in giving advice, making jokes, general conversations etc. I started overthinking my actions and word choices x10 more when I learned about the MBTI than before I knew anything about it or my type. And I've sadly never been able to shake it since.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
If it wasn't for me, my work place would probably take themselves too seriously.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 Scorpio
2,223 Posts
Jokes, as in formal jokes ("A nun and a rabbi walked into a bar..."), or humorous offhand asides and such? I'm not a big fan of formal jokes, as they're usually pretty tired; and, as far as delivering them myself, I'm too busy thinking about all the joke's ramifications as I tell the joke to get the rhythm right. Offhand witticisms, outgoing or incoming, are my cup of tea.

That said, here's one of the only two formal jokes I've ever made in my life. You've got to picture the classic stand-up comedian situation, say at a Las Vegas show: "Ladies and gentlemen, last Sunday my wife was complaining to me that we didn't have enough harmony in our marriage. [Sighs.] Next night I came home and found her in bed with a barbershop quartet."

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't have this problem. I can tell all sorts of jokes, but they're usually based on the situation around me or something I've read. I'm pretty shit at coming up with formal jokes like what @odinthor said.

I actually HATE dry humor. This is probably an Fe thing, but if someone looks serious--which deadpan often looks to me--I take them seriously because I feel a compulsive need to uphold the harmony of everything all the time. @[email protected] So if someone says a joke to me while they're deadpan, it usually takes me 30 seconds staring at them for me to understand that they were saying a joke. And then I feel completely stupid.

And I don't think I'm dumb. I think it's because I base so much of my interactions with other people on their body language that it overrides everything else, including common sense. I also know for a fact that I can understand their humor, but it's just the deadpan expression that screws with me.

For example, I have an INTP friend who's great at dry humor. And I would always get his jokes, until we started video calling each other and his deadpan disarms me completely.

INTP: *says a joke through text
Me: *I get the joke

INTP: *says a joke through a microphone only
Me: *I get the joke

INTP: *says a joke in a video call with a deadpan expression
Me: *world shatters, I fall to the ground seizing and die shortly after

So yeah I don't like dry humor. I'm absolutely horrible at it, lol.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,466 Posts
I love a good sense of humor and I like being able to share my sense of humor with others which can come in different forms, depending on the mood. Sometimes I take myself or life in general too seriously so humor is therapeutic for me. It's a way of reminding myself to lighten up. It's refreshing, can be a way to bond with others and I believe it's good for the soul. But yeah, it depends on the mood. I don't like jokes at others' expense. That's just passive aggressive or cruelty masked as a joke. Not that I've never been guilty of that. I also don't like it when someone can seemingly never be serious. No one is that one dimensional so it makes me feel like they use humor as a way to avoid intimacy or as a way to avoid confronting something.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like to joke around when I'm comfortable with the people around. And I enjoy dark humor and sarcastic digs at eachother. So really it's not proper anyway for me to mess with people who don't know me very well. If I take a shot at someone it's in jest, but I've encountered people who don't appreciate that sort of humor. lol

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I don't find joking the least bit funny. That is why I made this profile name. I wanted to seem into having fun and joking around. All the while, that was exactly what I never intended to be about.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I honestly couldn't imagine being a happy, or happy enough, person if I didn't have a good sense of humor, or if I didn't surround myself with others who could share in and likewise appreciate that. I guess if I wasn't saying this about myself, I'd be a different sort of person anyhow and perhaps this wouldn't apply. I'm not the most optimistic person. I've spent so many hours, since I was really young too, worrying about all sorts of big, unanswerable things (like mortality, our existence, for an obvious one), and I sure worry a lot about the current state of things for the planet, humanity, US and other politics, etc.. If I couldn't laugh about those things too, if I couldn't look at the sad but clear humor in any of this--well, humor is something that keeps me going, for sure.

In general, I'm not always the best at making jokes with others besides family or closer friends because I calculate my actions much more. And also, jokes are only good and only happen for me if they just flow naturally. I'm always ok with, and enjoy, being kindly teased or joked with, and would expect to be able to do the same. I love being made to laugh, laughing at myself, making others laugh.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't make too many good jokes in a succession, I suck at it; albeit, lately I've been on a good streak with my jokes..
As for responding, sometimes...

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
It depends, I agree with other users that I can't make classic jokes.

It also depends where I am, if I'm in a comfortable environment or around people I'm comfortable with, all I do is joke around, from one idea to the next. Usually just observations or ridiculous scenarios.

It's also harder to use humor deliberately, it's something that just sort of has to happen.

It's pretty much my primary way of thinking and viewing the world, humor is also really the only way I can cope with any sort of tragedy or loss.

It's taken me a long time to learn what's appropriate. When I was younger I would just randomly joke about everything, no matter where I was. "What if I did this? :laughing:" or "What if this actually happened, and then we'd have to do that! :shocked:"

but then I quit doing that more as I get older, but now I still haven't figured out what to say / talk about instead. :bored:

Also I've found that through writing. I'll start writing something with the intention of putting some feels in it, but really can't and end up just writing humor.

·
Registered
753 Posts
"A life without your match is no life at'all!"

- Sockrates
- Nice ;)

I'm not able to make a quick and funny remark. Often when my colleagues jokes around I start thinking about something that I could say, and when I finally find something funny to say about the subject, the conversation has moved on long ago..

If i'm in a group of friends I trsut I can be funny... in my own way..

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
No, I've always been the kind of person to joke around a lot and try to make people laugh. In the words of Michael Scott "I love inside jokes". But unlike Michael Scott I'm good at making them/ being a part of them. I also just love humor/comedy in general.

But one problem I have is that if I don't find something funny, I have a really hard time doing the fake laughter thing... especially if I also don't like the person so much. Sometimes I feel like such an asshole not laughing while everyone else is laughing but I just can't make myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts