Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest thing that has caused me to question whether or not I'm an ENTP is my love of planning things. I like making schedules, I'm very punctual, and I can get annoyed when other people don't stick to my plan.

... But ultimately a lot of times I don't follow through on my plans. I enjoy change and improvising. And, honestly, I have no desire to follow other people's plans. Either I make the plan or there is no plan. :)

What's everyone's thoughts on making plans and following through on them? Do you struggle with it? Do you not like plans at all? Any other ENTPs who like to plan out there or am I the only one? :proud:

Reactions: feigned angst

·
Registered
424 Posts
You're not alone. I do plan for everyday purposes. It all started with me writing exactly what I need to do everyday. Unfortunately, I grew out of the habit once I trained my brain to jot it down instead. The only reason why I kept doing it because I knew it would help me catch on with my life (and it did). No matter how many times, some activities such as "filling out forms" became postponed for a month, I still forced myself to make plans to bluntly "smack myself on the face" till the task became so annoying I completed it.

A conclusion I can come up with is that, I do make plans but I carry them out very flexibly unless the task's priority increases tenfold.

I think its a sign of maturing for ENTPs because you're trying to project yourself in a direction instead of doing what you want at that moment, in that time.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
Yes, I plan too. Most of the time I don't go through with big plans, but small plans are pretty good. I really hate it also when someone else has agreed with me to do a particular thing and then it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i really hate it also when someone else has agreed with me to do a particular thing and then it doesn't happen.
MEEEE TOOOO

Eta: So bogus that the board doesn't allow capslock. (laughs)

·
Banned
998 Posts
I plan when there are too many things to remember. I also schedule myself on my blackberry. Every single deadline, meeting or class that I have is on my blackberry calendar. Keep in mind that planning doesn't mean routine. I hate routine. I have to plan, because I don't follow routine, and I'd forget otherwise.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I could never get by without a little bit of planning! I don't have the memory or the focus to be productive & keep up with things spontaneously. But I prefer situations where planning isn't required. There's also a form of "planning" I do that seems more like Ti categorizing and organizing of thoughts - like if I need to get some things done this weekend, and there are also things I want to do for pleasure, and it's going to be difficult to pull it all off; then I might make myself like a schedule, but it's way more for the sake of calming the inner chaos than to actually follow the schedule. Which I never end up doing anyway.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm huge on making plans. I need a vision, something I need to accomplish, and I implement and execute a strategy to get there. I can do the improvise thing, but I find it more efficient if I lay out what needs to be done beforehand so I can harness my resources effectively. Timing matters.

How do people get anything done otherwise?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
How charming! ENTP's who haven't given up on planning yet!

:wink:

Actually, I used to plan quite effectively. I think the shit around my second divorce threw me into not being able to see more than two hours in front of me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The biggest thing that has caused me to question whether or not I'm an ENTP is my love of planning things. I like making schedules, I'm very punctual, and I can get annoyed when other people don't stick to my plan.

... But ultimately a lot of times I don't follow through on my plans. I enjoy change and improvising. And, honestly, I have no desire to follow other people's plans. Either I make the plan or there is no plan. :)

What's everyone's thoughts on making plans and following through on them? Do you struggle with it? Do you not like plans at all? Any other ENTPs who like to plan out there or am I the only one?
I am the same. I hate not being in control, so I plan things very loosely.
I plan ahead of time, but not detailed. Just the gist. I tend not to have a very strict plan,
because when it changes I can adapt and not feel let down or pissed off about it.

**even if they only notify me a 5 mins beforehand, it is better than none, because it means that you had given me the time and little effort to inform me to expect you to be late...( just a courtesy thing)...

Plus I could go and do things etc. I hate wasted time and waiting without (in my mind) real purpose.

**this is because of my dad. I don't want to be anything like him when it comes to time management.
He is just very unreliable.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I plan all the time, but then don't always follow my plans, sometimes forget them altogether....when I get down to only being able to see what I have in front of me to do today, then I am very very stressed.

If I didn't plan to do stuff, then there is a danger I wouldn't ever do anything.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I plan. Sometimes.

And like you, I rarely follow through with them.

Yeahhh, you're still ENTP. :wink: My ENTJ friend follows through with her plans EVERY TIME and keeps a planner to make sure she doesn't miss anything. It's veeeeery different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts