Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ISFJ personality type fits me to a T, and I at times feel like I'm not very stereotypically masculine. Sensitivity and submission are much more prevalent than hardened-ness and leadership.

I know it's not a bad thing, but darn it, sometimes I want to be that ultra-masculine guy that I grew up expecting to be. Do any men here feel like you're not very 'masculine'? Do you ever wish you were? Do any women feel like you fit the homemaker stereotype too well? Do you need to reconcile that, or do you just embrace it?

I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to stereotypes, I'm just fishing for input :)

I love you all! <3

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,830 Posts
No I don't feel like I'm submissive at all. I just don't mind doing things for other people or I place so much importance on their wellbeing and happiness I'm willing to do it. I'm sensitive and I like leading. I use my sensitivity to lead with compassion and by example. I also pick my battles and only fight on important things. I am also the one that tends to keep people in line and call them out.

Basically everything I do is under my own free will and I'm always in control of my actions. Even when I gave in I do it willingly. (Either you convinced me or its so insignificant) . I see my self as a reasonable , kind person who has other ppls best interest at heart.

Apparently you need to develop Fe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm a man and I let people know I am!
We are ISFJ's, we are guardians, protectors, nurturers! WE ARE KNIGHTS! PALADINS!
We are the ultimate sign of masculinity!

In all honesty, though, I have accepted my own femininity up to the point that I'm quoting Betty White;
“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”

Although, I am by no means submissive and I can get 'ENTJ-like' dominant when I need to be, me and my fiancee already established that out of the two of us I would probably be the best fit for a stay at home parent.

Anyone saying that ISFJ men are feminine have obviously never been wrecked by an ISFJ dad protecting his child. :p

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The ISFJ personality type fits me to a T, and I at times feel like I'm not very stereotypically masculine. Sensitivity and submission are much more prevalent than hardened-ness and leadership.

I know it's not a bad thing, but darn it, sometimes I want to be that ultra-masculine guy that I grew up expecting to be. Do any men here feel like you're not very 'masculine'? Do you ever wish you were? Do any women feel like you fit the homemaker stereotype too well? Do you need to reconcile that, or do you just embrace it?

I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to stereotypes, I'm just fishing for input :)

I love you all! <3
Masculinity and femininity are just imaginary constructs.

Why should the junk between your legs determine what kind of behaviours you partake in?

Haters gotta hate.

If anything, as an INFJ I find life more honourable lived as a sensitive, caring guy.

Do you really want to be a gun-touting rambo who disrespects women? :p

Stay strong my IxFJ brothers :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I very much doubt anyone around you thinks you lack masculinity. I often mistype SFJs as STPs and STJs because of these are the most stereotypically masculine types, but SFJs tend be every bit as masculine. Guardians tend to blend in with their surroundings and as such male ISFJs tend to take a classically masculine role of breadwinner and family patriarch. Their empathy does not compromise this, it enhances it. It makes them more rounded men who become great husbands and parents.

·
Registered
998 Posts
There has been a couple of threads on here about ISFJ faux pax: http://personalitycafe.com/isfj-forum-nurturers/156736-isfj-faux-pax.html

I am a homemaker, but I am because it is the most practical choice for my family since my husband travels. Do I wish to work? Sure I do. At the same time, I'm able to volunteer in my community and do things I would not normally have the time to do. Am I a submissive wife? BAHAHAHAHAHA oh dear, no ... not at all. I am the captain of this ship, my ISTJ husband would agree.

As for how you feel about yourself, don't be so hard on yourself. All you can be is the best version of yourself. If that means you are more sensitive than others, then so be it. Truth be told, you aren't more sensitive than others, you just might display it more readily than others. Just remember most people have their true self, and they have the self they want others to see. You just need to learn more to mold to situations around you and that comes with experience. At the end of the day, if you find you are "faking it" all the time ... you will be miserable. Embrace yourself. :)

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I don't know if any of you watches the current season of Doctor Who, but there's this character of Danny Pink, Clara's boyfriend and an ISFJ. What was he before he became a teacher? A freaking soldier, which is like the menliest thing ever. He's not feminine at all and quite masculine- protective, defener, dutiful. He just happens to care- not unmesculine, just Fe :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if any of you watches the current season of Doctor Who, but there's this character of Danny Pink, Clara's boyfriend and an ISFJ. What was he before he became a teacher? A freaking soldier, which is like the menliest thing ever. He's not feminine at all and quite masculine- protective, defener, dutiful. He just happens to care- not unmesculine, just Fe :D
He's an ISTJ in the books but I thought Sean Bean's portayal of Ned Stark in Game of Thrones was ISFJ.

Bruce Willis and 50 Cent are ISFJs according to Celebritytypes.com.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My boyfriend is ISFJ and he is very masculine.

Masculinity is about self-confidence and assertiveness . An ISFJ , just like any other type ,is fully capable of being masculine, you just need to work on yourself .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts