Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please bare with me here.

I've been doing a lot of research into cognitive functions lately, at least in regards to my own. My three strongest, definitely dominating functions are Ni, Ti, and Fe. When I first tested INFJ, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me at first. However at the same time it did. What I mean is, I don't really recognize myself as Feeler. I've an extremely rational individual, however, I am very passionate, soft-hearted and I have a strong disdain for conflict. With that being said.. for the longest time, I figured I was an INTJ. However, when I ventured deeper into the cognitive functions.. my extroverted thinking isn't as nearly as developed as my Ni, Fe, Ti. My extroverted intuition is developed a bit.. however when it comes to my Fi, it goes virtually unused, and my sensing functions are a joke to say the least. Stereotypes suggest that males are supposed to be the rational/non-feeling individuals. Right? But then I came across this, "Extroverted Feeling is conceptual and analytic. It encourages us to make rational choices, to measure our options for relationship against an external standard of behaviors. What distinguishes this function from Extroverted Thinking is the fact that relatedness involves human beings, not impersonal abstractions." Is this what distinguishes us from T types? Because I feel like a T type, however I understand that I am definitely not. Is networking or basing decisions based on ramifications from important relationships a rare trait?

I apologize this isn't organized well, I'm just trying to understand all this better.

·
Registered
946 Posts
A number of us INFJ's have the same problem. I struggled for a time with figuring it out, as I've tested both INTP and INTJ. Some people who have known me term me "cerebral" or a "deep thinker". Yes, I use thinking a lot - but I have come to find it truly is only in the service of feeling. I have also developed some strong Te and Fi functions over the years, leading me to believe at one point I was an INTJ. But something didn't sit quite right while perusing their forums.

Take a look at this for some more insight into the various ways INFJ can manifest:

Many Faces of INFJ

I personally found that I identify with a lot of that, and with a lot of the people on these forums. Perhaps you will find the same?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hi all, please bare with me here.

I've been doing a lot of research into cognitive functions lately, at least in regards to my own. My three strongest, definitely dominating functions are Ni, Ti, and Fe. When I first tested INFJ, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me at first. However at the same time it did. What I mean is, I don't really recognize myself as Feeler. I've an extremely rational individual, however, I am very passionate, soft-hearted and I have a strong disdain for conflict. With that being said.. for the longest time, I figured I was an INTJ. However, when I ventured deeper into the cognitive functions.. my extroverted thinking isn't as nearly as developed as my Ni, Fe, Ti. My extroverted intuition is developed a bit.. however when it comes to my Fi, it goes virtually unused, and my sensing functions are a joke to say the least. Stereotypes suggest that males are supposed to be the rational/non-feeling individuals. Right? But then I came across this, "Extroverted Feeling is conceptual and analytic. It encourages us to make rational choices, to measure our options for relationship against an external standard of behaviors. What distinguishes this function from Extroverted Thinking is the fact that relatedness involves human beings, not impersonal abstractions." Is this what distinguishes us from T types? Because I feel like a T type, however I understand that I am definitely not. Is networking or basing decisions based on ramifications from important relationships a rare trait?

I apologize this isn't organized well, I'm just trying to understand all this better.
Sometimes the functions aren't organized perfectly (Your order isn't the same as the generic INFJ order), but the similarity is strong enough to be typed.

You just strike me as being one of those super-rational INFJs.

My Fi is scored on par with my Fe, but I'm still an INFJ, because my other functions match up. (Ti, Ni, and Se). So you... like me... can be like special little snowflakes :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yeah, I know what you are saying. I feel like a T sometimes and I know I come off like a T sometimes too. For years I suppressed my feelings and emotions only for them to come boiling over a year or two ago. Now I am confident in the fact that I am just a very logical and rationale person. A friend of mind described me as a thinker of feelings which I feel applies to a lot of INFJs across the genders. When our Ni and Fe communicate we are very much so being a thinker of feelings. My cognitive functions are all messed up and crazy, out of the ordinary for INFJs too so don't worry mine are Si>Fi>Ni>Fe then the rest of them are up there but those four are the highest. I've come to the conclusion that when dealing with people ration and logic with a touch of F can work wonders.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A number of us INFJ's have the same problem. I struggled for a time with figuring it out, as I've tested both INTP and INTJ. Some people who have known me term me "cerebral" or a "deep thinker". Yes, I use thinking a lot - but I have come to find it truly is only in the service of feeling. I have also developed some strong Te and Fi functions over the years, leading me to believe at one point I was an INTJ. But something didn't sit quite right while perusing their forums.

Take a look at this for some more insight into the various ways INFJ can manifest:

Many Faces of INFJ

I personally found that I identify with a lot of that, and with a lot of the people on these forums. Perhaps you will find the same?
I definitely relate to the academic. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know what you are saying. I feel like a T sometimes and I know I come off like a T sometimes too. For years I suppressed my feelings and emotions only for them to come boiling over a year or two ago. Now I am confident in the fact that I am just a very logical and rationale person. A friend of mind described me as a thinker of feelings which I feel applies to a lot of INFJs across the genders. When our Ni and Fe communicate we are very much so being a thinker of feelings. My cognitive functions are all messed up and crazy, out of the ordinary for INFJs too so don't worry mine are Si>Fi>Ni>Fe then the rest of them are up there but those four are the highest. I've come to the conclusion that when dealing with people ration and logic with a touch of F can work wonders.
My functions are Ni>Ti>Fe>Ne>Fi>Te>Se>Si

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You wouldn't be the first INFJ who runs on Ni-Ti. In my case Ti became more developed than Fe simply because I had an idea to defend. When people (especially on certain internet forums where no sense of tact is necessary, just hard logic) start attacking your argument and trying to find holes in your reasoning, Fe just doesn't cut it anymore. I see INFJs on forums trying to deflect a rational argument with Fe all the time though. It goes something like this: "So you just come waltz in here and spout that kind of bullshit? Come on, learn some manners. I'm not even going to consider replying to your argument. This discussion is over. Finished."

That's just one thing that could cause Ti to become more developed, but I imagine having a drive to truly and completely understand something could force an INFJ to develop it as well. Or just a million other reasons, like being too introverted to even be around people so you can actually use Fe. Basically you need Ti if you ever want to have any sort of discussion or have a job that requires understanding complexities/systems in things rather than in people. So no, you're not alone in this. An INTJ could probably get away without developing Fi and still perform decently, but I don't think the same applies for our Ti.

P.S. Our signatures and color preferences seem oddly similar. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I used to think I was an INTJ as I usually test as one in 90% of the tests. However, as you stated, looking at the different functions and how they work independently helps. I definitely do not use Te, thus INFJ it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts