Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I started looking into MBTI a few months ago and its helped me understand myself a good bit more. I'd normally dismiss personality types and over hyped, but it actually makes a lot of sense.

I've taken a few tests and have tested as an INFP. I'm an 18 year old guy, which is apparently a weird mix with INFP. Most descriptions fit me quite strongly and I'm maybe 80% sure that I probably am an INFP.

I was googling around a while back and found that almost universally, people assume male INFPs are low in testosterone. This obviously isn't my case at all and I'm wondering if anyone could provide insight on that. For example, I'm not scrawny (though I have been before) and have an average bit of muscle, I have to shave often, I have acne on my back, and I hit puberty at age 10. At the same time, I have pretty much no strong alpha-male tendencies and relate well with my female friends, particularly the ones who are INFP themselves.

Any ideas about this? Is it really quite rare? Maybe it's more likely that I made some mistakes or had a bias in the tests?

Thanks,
Teran

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Testosterone is as normal as every male, but I never let it cloud my judgment. Stereotypical alpha-male types do turn me off a lot.

I am sensitive, but I can easily be tough too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Eh? I wouldn't say males INFPs with lower or higher testosterone levels are much different. When I actually have the drive to work out my muscle tone is quite developed and I started puberty at age 12. Though I prefer the leaner type and not bulky because I want to utilize it for fast movements, but I'm a sensitive as any INFP male out there.

I doubt that INFP has anything to do with these levels, but a combination of how we grew up and how our body deleloped in the womb. Being a very stong physically but sensitive emotionally INFP is a good thing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'd say mine is probably about average or just above average. But I recently took this personality test and it said I was more feminine than masculine. So X-D

It can't effect me much.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Like others noted above I don't think there is any connection with Testosterone and personality type, and I've never heard it mentioned before. An extremely small sample size but I'm 6'2" , 205 lbs of mostly muscle and almost never work out, my best friend also an infp is the same.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Also a 6ft 2" guy here. Started puberty at EIGHT (well, I started getting pubic hair :p I wish I was joking but I started really early!) and I'm also athletically built and bulk out very quickly when I work out. I'm also a great deal stronger than other males I know that are similar to my own build.

I'd say it's complete bollocks that INFP males have less testosterone than others :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think that who ever came up with the notion of low testosterone in INFP males is being as silly and prejudicial as someone who says someone who says one race is better than the next. It sounds like they are inferring a chemical disability. I agree, untrue. Hope you guys don’t mind my presence here, If so terribly sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the verdict is pretty clear on this in that case. Thanks!

I think I was mostly made curious by this thread: ht(deleteme)tp://personalitycafe.com/intj-forum-scientists/25124-intj-female-infp-male-mistery-solved-testosterone.html (I can't link to it properly because I'm supposed to have made 10 posts before doing so :-/)

"We all know that INFP males have a low level of testosterone"...

@Elizabeth: Of course we (or at least I, I imagine we) don't mind you posting here. This is more of a statistical question I guess, and either way there's no reason to mind :).

Thanks again everyone,
Teran

·
Registered
291 Posts
I must break the mold too, then. I've been lifting steady for 4 years now and haven't had a problem putting on muscle. I dieted down to 145 from wrestling, and I've since bulked up to 210lbs. Putting muscle and strength isn't hard for me at all when I have time to consistently get to the gym.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm who wrote that thread and I don't see to have a low level of testosterone in a man as a flaw, but as a virtue. ( I do have enough testosterone, I don't want more...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@lali: I was only asking if testosterone really played a difference in personalities. It seems that the general consensus here is no, however. If it does affect personalities strongly, I probably wouldn't want more of it myself. Though I'm sure someone else might prefer it.

In my mind, having normal testosterone levels is a virtue, beyond that is "technically" a flaw, as personality seems to be pretty independent of it. The body runs best on ideal levels of hormones, which is why I'd say normal levels are ideal over anything else, at least in most ways.

--Teran

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would say I have normal testosterone levels. I don't even come off very touchy-feely to most people until they get to know me really well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Physically I'm masculine. Not heavy on muscles though; my muscles seem average. And I probably could have more masculine traits, physically. But I look more male than female, even with long hair.

Mentally I'm affraid I'm a bit of a woman, though. I'm very heterosexual, but my emotional depth and empathy is more like a female's. I'm no alpha male and I'm not likely to eyeball "hot" women; I'm usually eyeballing women I feel attracted to in other ways than just physically. Or just people I find interesting in a non romantic/non sexual way.

My idea of an attractive woman has little to do with looks. I'm attracted to good looks, but usually I find that good looks has more to do with the person's mentality than the person's physical features; like their soul emmits a light on their face and that light can make them look more or less attractive, depending on the light, the soul emmits. I can't explain it better than that. But it seems quite feminine to me to do that..

·
Registered
13 Posts
oh! I love that:

My idea of an attractive woman has little to do with looks. I'm attracted to good looks, but usually I find that good looks has more to do with the person's mentality than the person's physical features; like their soul emmits a light on their face and that light can make them look more or less attractive, depending on the light, the soul emmits. I can't explain it better than that. But it seems quite feminine to me to do that..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've no idea what my testosterone levels are. I hit puberty around 13, my voice broke gradually, body hair came in gradually too. I'm 31 now and I guess I still don't have as much body hair as I was led to believe was regular for men. I grow a lot of stubble but it's not dense enough to form a real beard, as such. My natural build is very slim and I'm something of a hard-gainer but not overly so. I worked out a lot in my 20s and put on a fair bit of muscle tone.

The areas where I feel I have a lot of testosterone are my competitive nature and my temper. Both of these are 'complimented' (if complimented is the right word) by my INFP nature. My INFP self-critiquing perfectionist tendencies feed my competitiveness. Though success and ambition are not majorly important to me I get really, really competitive around certain friends. I hate feeling weak or stupid and get really fire up and hyper-competitive. My sensitivity and emotionality feed my temper too. INFPs are often portrayed as quiet soppy cry-babies. I do have very emo introverted "cry-in-the-dark" tendencies but my passion and hyper-emotionality are not limited to that. I get really angry when I feel hurt and go into full on rages sometimes. I put a lot of it down to how sensitive I am. But sensitivity can be violent and aggressive as well as empathic and compassionate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My guess is that my testosterone level is a bit deficient. My diet is partially to blame. I take in too much sugar and eat too many refined breads, which has made me chubby, and more body fat = more oestrogen. Not only that but I sleep too much. We're talking 11 hours easy, if my body gets the chance. I'm 21 and pretty much done growing so I don't attribute my excessive sleep to puberty.

I experienced "high testosterone" once in my life. About a month and a half after I started a weightlifting class freshman year of college, my energy levels went through the roof; I felt mentally clear, more intelligent, and only needed 5 hours of sleep at a time. So I know what bountiful testosterone is like and I'd love to experience it again.

This is not a conversation about puberty, but I feel like it might be interesting if I discuss that. I was a late bloomer, which made me quite worried at the time. I remember watching a TV show in 8th grade that discussed the "intersex" condition, and fearing that I was secretly intersex and that I'd develop breasts. (In hindsight I was being neurotic and highly dramatic about it, lol.) It wasn't so much the idea of being a woman that scared me as the fact that becoming intersex would be stressful and complicated. When I started high school, there were only two other boys in my grade whose voice hadn't dropped. Practically the day I turned 15 my voice started to drop and the other changes occurred.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My guess is that my testosterone level is a bit deficient. My diet is partially to blame. I take in too much sugar and eat too many refined breads, which has made me chubby, and more body fat = more oestrogen. Not only that but I sleep too much. We're talking 11 hours easy, if my body gets the chance. I'm 21 and pretty much done growing so I don't attribute my excessive sleep to puberty.

I experienced "high testosterone" once in my life. About a month and a half after I started a weightlifting class freshman year of college, my energy levels went through the roof; I felt mentally clear, more intelligent, and only needed 5 hours of sleep at a time. So I know what bountiful testosterone is like and I'd love to experience it again.

This is not a conversation about puberty, but I feel like it might be interesting if I discuss that. I was a late bloomer, which made me quite worried at the time. I remember watching a TV show in 8th grade that discussed the "intersex" condition, and fearing that I was secretly intersex and that I'd develop breasts. (In hindsight I was being neurotic and highly dramatic about it, lol.) It wasn't so much the idea of being a woman that scared me as the fact that becoming intersex would be stressful and complicated. When I started high school, there were only two other boys in my grade whose voice hadn't dropped. Practically the day I turned 15 my voice started to drop and the other changes occurred.
YOur point about excercise deserves its own thread imo.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Hey,

I started looking into MBTI a few months ago and its helped me understand myself a good bit more. I'd normally dismiss personality types and over hyped, but it actually makes a lot of sense.

I've taken a few tests and have tested as an INFP. I'm an 18 year old guy, which is apparently a weird mix with INFP. Most descriptions fit me quite strongly and I'm maybe 80% sure that I probably am an INFP.

I was googling around a while back and found that almost universally, people assume male INFPs are low in testosterone. This obviously isn't my case at all and I'm wondering if anyone could provide insight on that. For example, I'm not scrawny (though I have been before) and have an average bit of muscle, I have to shave often, I have acne on my back, and I hit puberty at age 10. At the same time, I have pretty much no strong alpha-male tendencies and relate well with my female friends, particularly the ones who are INFP themselves.

Any ideas about this? Is it really quite rare? Maybe it's more likely that I made some mistakes or had a bias in the tests?

Thanks,
Teran
That's funny. I think anyone who believes that male INFPs have below average testosterone probably has below average intelligence. So don't listen to them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts