Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I would like to start by saying that English is my 3rd language; I apologize in advance if my wording sounds weird.
Yes, (mature) ENTPs do apologize :)

So here is the situation:

I have applied for the position of Head of Marketing at an Offshore Agile software development company, located in Asia (I am based in Europe). The company is going through a restructuring phase and I was told that if I was chosen to fill the position I would have to hire for juniors/teammates according to my needs.
That would be my first job in the corporate world; I have been working as a freelance since my graduation (Dec 2014) - I mostly worked in sales before my 3-year studies in Marketing (I have a BA).
While having no doubt about my abilities to run the Marketing Department ('Cause we ENTPs are awesome. Duh),I would quickly need to find 2-3 juniors to help me out.

What you need to know:

- The company is about to celebrate its first birthday; currently in its Storming phase - See
HTML:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman%27s_stages_of_group_development#Storming
- The Marketing team used to count 5 members (Manager will leave once her replacement is found, 2 members left to pursue further studies, another one find a job elsewhere) - the entire company is about 80 people.
- I was interviewed (on Skype) by both Managing Director and Marketing Manager; Head of Marketing will be a new position created for her replacement (Adding new responsibilities)
- They gave me a week to write a report based on my personal insights on the company management and the position (SWOT, Marketing mix, Corporate culture, Business development, etc.) - Didn't sleep the night before due date... 'Cause yeah.. you know..
- The director loved my proposal and I was offered the job (Currently waiting for details on the contract from the HR Manager)

More importantly, the Managing Director is a European iT guy with more than 20 years experience in the industry. He founded the company with external partners/investors; who are not involved in the company management. The director is not a business guy though I know I already have his support regarding my future plans for the company.

Since my responsibilities would not be limited to the Marketing Department, I need people who see things the way I do or least are receptive to my ideas. I do not intend on wasting time explaining things over and over again nor do I have the desire to micromanage people (not an ENTJ. No offense).

Question(finally) - Who would you pick? And Why?

Immediate future
Marketing juniors (1-2p): INFJ (To have someone to bounce my ideas and thinks I am a genius) + INTJ (To actually make my ideas come alive and deal with admin stuff) + ENFP (Personal interpreter; would be charged of saying nice things about me)
Business development (1p): INTJ/ESTJ - This one is tricky. The person would not be under my direct supervision but we would have to work very very closely.

Near future
Sales (1-2p): I thought of training in-house consultants in sales. Yet if the company keeps growing I would need to look for salespeople.

This post is actually longer than I meant it to be... urgh

Non-ENTPs working under the management of an ENTP are more than welcomed to comment!

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
If you need high-pressure salesmen ESxP's are the way to go IMO. Dat Se.

Reactions: WillMill

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You are an ENTP, all you need are people to execute your whims.

ESTPs are bomb at getting anything immediate taken care of and fixed, they are the best disaster mitigators I've ever seen.
INTJs are uncompromising in their data, if that's what you want
ISFJs (luckily are abundant) can be incredible catch-alls for the day-to-day stuff, haven't met one yet who wasn't invested and loyal to the point of insanity, they do EVERYTHING you don't want to do.

If you NEED someone to be your spokesperson an ENFJ would fit the bill well I think, they can talk to anybody. . . I personally don't think you need anyone to say nice things about you, let your performance tell them everything they need to hear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ESTPs are bomb at getting anything immediate taken care of and fixed, they are the best disaster mitigators I've ever seen.
ISFJs (luckily are abundant) can be incredible catch-alls for the day-to-day stuff, haven't met one yet who wasn't invested and loyal to the point of insanity, they do EVERYTHING you don't want to do.

If you NEED someone to be your spokesperson an ENFJ would fit the bill well I think, they can talk to anybody. . . I personally don't think you need anyone to say nice things about you, let your performance tell them everything they need to hear.
Hahaha, love the reply - Not personally fan of ESTP; at least not for my team. I do believe they would make good salesmen
ISFJ - Sounds like the perfect junior to me!
INTJ - I would see that type in the role of business developer (Finding out growth opportunities); yet since the role will include meeting clients I would like someone comfortable in dealing with people (= Not giving them the impression he/she thinks they are stupid)
So either a really mature + extrovert INTJ or an ESTJ (Good in researches and analysis)?

Work hard smart in silence. Let success be your noise - Frank Ocean

·
Registered
689 Posts

Why should I write my own post when one of my minions already have?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hahaha, love the reply - Not personally fan of ESTP; at least not for my team. I do believe they would make good salesmen

Work hard smart in silence. Let success be your noise - Frank Ocean
The only reason I suggested an ESTP for any kind of role where things need fixed is if it's in their realm of stuff they like, not only will it get started, they'll love it, and they'll work on it until it gets done no matter the cost (to them.) We have this net engineer/storage engineer guy at work, and he's the best disaster recovery person I've ever laid eyes on. Granted he gets paid like a CEO, but still. If there's a problem, he gets it fixed. Fast. He does have the fault of procrastinating non-disaster stuff though. He hasn't submitted his invoices from 3-6 months ago yet. Pissing off the accounting group big time haha!

And the quote is perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank guys for your insights.
I got an offer... and it really sounded like a joke.
So yeah.. back to sending resumes.
ZzzZZz

Where are my minions? Sigh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts