Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is and INTP who will laugh at something for 10 minutes straight and be totally incapacitated for that time. this happens very frequently and often at inappropriate (dead silence) times or when something is just vaguely funny. Is he just weird or is this a fairly common occurrence in the INTP experience. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!1

I am not sure. Perhaps he is secretly plotting a diabolical plan to overthrow the current government and enslave the world, all while pretending to be an INTP, but really being an INTJ.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I have a friend who is and INTP who will laugh at something for 10 minutes straight and be totally incapacitated for that time. this happens very frequently and often at inappropriate (dead silence) times or when something is just vaguely funny. Is he just weird or is this a fairly common occurrence in the INTP experience. :laughing:
I think it's pretty common. When I was younger, I would often do it for about 20 minutes before I went to sleep. I don't know why it happens exactly it just does. :confused:

·
Registered
161 Posts
That happens to me a lot. When I think something is funny, I can't stop laughing for minutes on end. Red-faced, can't-breathe, hurting-abs laughing. Most of the time it's not something that's really THAT humorous. But once I get going...

I laugh at my own jokes all the time too.

Edit: I also laugh quietly at my own thoughts. The other day I was thinking how "weapons of mass destruction" is somewhat of a paradox. According to the law of conservation of mass, mass cannot be destroyed. So I was sitting on the couch, thinking about this, chuckling, and my mom (I'm guessing is an ENFJ) asks me what is so funny. I explain it to her and she gives me a blank stare. Hmph. I thought it was funny.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't have that diabolic laughter...

But I will never forget my best friend from primary school (also INTP). He would start laughing in the most unexpected moments. Priceless...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This all sounds highly plausible. Even the taking over the would bit, he'll pace while sort of frowning/ making a concentrating face then start laughing- its rather unnerving :mellow:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'll most certainly laugh when inappropriate... I used to laugh at funerals; to drunk friends; to a friend that got fouled in football and is screaming in pain; to a police officer trying to ID me, to teachers when they maniacally yell, et caetera...
PROTIP: I've read that somewhere and is most definitely true: If you see a person snickering for no obvious reason, /s/he is most likely an INTP.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't laugh too often but every once in a while I will find something just so funny I can't control it. Usually it is just something small I notice and I try to keep it under wraps but I'll probably think about it all day and chuckle
to myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is he just weird or is this a fairly common occurrence in the INTP experience. :laughing:
No offense, but that's just a stupid question. Of course he's weird. Most of us are. I don't do the manical laughter but I do chuckle to myself. A lot. People find it rather disconcerting.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sometimes something will come into my head and I'll start trying not to laugh, but it never works... I can't imagine how I look walking down the street with my face all twisted up like that.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I often can't stop laughing when something is just so absurd or funny that I can't even logically make sense of it anymore. Actually this happened just yesterday when we first met our new human geography teacher and she assigned us the most incoherent, random and overall irrelevant assignment I have ever been assigned by any teacher. We had to pretend to be Mexicans who wanted to illegally cross the border with the USA, and we had to choose our workingplace once we got there and think of possible scenarios that could unfold etc. But the assignments just was so irrelevant to the subject of the class and the 'parameters' of the assignment were so undefined that we just thought of the craziest scenarios. I ended up as a sombrero-wearing prison bitch in a state penitentiary because I had smuggled drugs in order to use a drugstunnel which ran under the border.

In other words: we were just mocking the new teacher by exposing the absurd nature of her asignment. This made the social athmosphere of the classroom incredibly hostile and once the teacher had picked up on this she said something like: "Well, how do you like this kind of assignment? Don't you all think it's fun to do something other than theorizing all the time?" *awkward silence* "I think most of you do have an opinion on this but just don't want to talk about it with me, am I right?" And at that moment I just couldn't help but laughing maniacally for a minute or so, this lesson had become so absurd that it just made me want to get a shotgun and blast my brains out... The ignorant idealism of this teacher totally made me remember how absurd the educational system can get. I came to the conclusion that these kind of assignments were the absolute proof that the educational system is trying to dull the students brains and make them follow any order you could possibly think of (no matter how absurd it seems); I totally thought I saw through the educational system at that moment and it took me some time to regain my seriousness again (although it helped that the entire class was looking at me laughing so hysterically since this made me feel ashamed).

This maniacal laughing is just a way to deal with the irrationality and absurdity of life, it's me remembering that life's bullshit and seeing how it's all probably just a big joke on me. Now, this may sound strange or insane, but it's actually making my life a lot of fun at times. I don't know why other INTPs laugh maniacally, but this is my reason for doing it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I think it's pretty common. When I was younger, I would often do it for about 20 minutes before I went to sleep. I don't know why it happens exactly it just does. :confused:
Whoa, 20 minutes every night?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Ugh... yeah. It's not as fun as it sounds. Eventually your head is splitting apart, you can barely breathe, your face is all sore...
But the way it works is that I would start laughing a lot, it would kind of die down, but the desire for the euphoria that maniacal laughter causes fuels the chuckles until they rebound into maniacal laughter. It's a kind of addiction. Especially if there are other people around. :mellow: I think that makes it even worse. :bored: Here's an example:

MUAHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAA!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHHHAH! AHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAH! AHAHHAAHA!! AHAHAHAAAahahahah...! ahahahah... ahhahah. ahaa.... giggles...chuckles...hehehehehh... ehehehehehh!....AhAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHHAH!!! MUAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Here's a better example, the guy on the left. So prolonged.....

^^^^ Yeah, other people makes it way worse. If there are other people I laugh even more, and if they are laughing too, it will just go on indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Once I was getting laser eye surgery. So anyhow, I was in the chair and getting the gas and the doctor came in. He was a very short and almost equally round fellow with glasses on his head. His nurse came in, and she was tall and blond with big breasts that were hanging out of her little nurse outfit. The stereotype coming true of some rich, mad scientist type doc with a hot nurse he was cheat with came into my mind, and I could not stop laughing at them.

He told the nurse, 'We are giving him too much gas,' and I went threw most of the operation with very little pain relief. That eventually got me to stop laughing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts