Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of ways had people in real life manipulated you that you have hated?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A recruiter friend trying to 'help me help myself by helping him' by participating in what IS a pyramid scheme. He picked on the fact that I have stability and what high school friends know as 'deep thoughts' to determine that I'm someone who is responsible, and can help him. He wanted me on his side, and things eventually crumbled between us because he wanted me to join him so badly that he told me a day to meet with him to discuss things in person, and never gave me a time. The miscommunication gives him a false truth and an alibi to give his superiors in the pyramid scheme to dismiss me as useless to them. So I dropped communication, since he tried to manipulate me and my capabilities for my strengths. :dry: First friend I've ever known who is not worth the time. At least not in his current mindset. I'm rambling, sorry.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Usually, they want me to be a player in their fantasy version of the world, and they get very upset when I refuse to comply and insist on reality. :crazy: Funny, the INFP being the one jolting everyone out of their imaginary worlds. I just don't tolerate this kind of imagination which is harmful to others/self.

Reactions: white-knuckle

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Usually, they want me to be a player in their fantasy version of the world, and they get very upset when I refuse to comply and insist on reality. :crazy: Funny, the INFP being the one jolting everyone out of their imaginary worlds. I just don't tolerate this kind of imagination which is harmful to others/self.
Like..the fairy tale castle mentioned in Paramore's song 'Brick by Boring Brick', right Eden?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Like..the fairy tale castle mentioned in Paramore's song 'Brick by Boring Brick', right Eden?
I had to look it up, I don't know many Paramore songs, but yeah, something like that.

Reactions: Azure Bass

·
Registered
733 Posts
My massage therapist tried to make me go to a meeting where she was selling magnet crap, also a pyramid scheme. It wasn't that she was trying to sell stuff, it's that she pressured me into going and used my kindness to 'oblige' me to be there. Guess what? That was my last massage (-:

One of my boundaries that are never to be crossed is manipulating people. Especially when someone is so crude, so shameless, and so devious, as to use other's feelings of responsibilities towards those who are suffering to get something out of them. A friend of mine who had lost herself to meth ended up asking me for too many small favors; a buck here, a place to stay there. The last straw was when she tried to borrow my truck. It would have been okay if I knew she wasn't using me, if she wasn't all drugged out, and if she asked me nicely. But the mere fact that she assumed I would and got offended when I didn't, meant that she had crossed my line and had ceased to be my friend.

I despise people who play on other's insecurities, fear of confrontation, fear of doing someone wrong, fear of losing a friend, to use them for their own selfish means. Those who have no problems with making you very uncomfortable and then implying that you're responsible for the conflict, really get on my nerve.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a friend who knows that I won't leave her out in the cold, so to speak, and I think she uses it to her advantage. She knows I'll give her a ride, buy her a meal, hang out whenever she really needs me. She puts herself in some bad situations too.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
i've been manipulated a lot in my life. people who i thought were genuinely interested in me, turned out only interested in what i could do for them. fml.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The whole 'trust' thing. I was fooled into believing that he could have cared for me as a friend... Guess not.
Yeah that happens a lot. If you have a lot of guy friends chances are 80% would want to sleep with you or fantasized about it before and then just accept its not gonna happen. The prettier you are the higher the probability. Unless they are gay. That is what happens in all relationships that happen. The strange thing is women don't see this. Men's intentions are about sex a lot more than women think, they can't help it. Where as women need emotional connection. The more they know you the stronger it is too. Of course the times this changes is when the guy is fixated on his relationship. He thinks about his girlfriend that way exclusively the more introverted they are. And then that is a reason why attached men are seen more attractive by women. He's taken and unlikely to do manipulation to you to try to get to a stage where he could be in a relationship. Of course this is untrue, because whether extroverts or introverts, when there are some needs that remain unfulfilled they are going to explore those urges if they are confident, if they are not, not so much. Well that is what I think about it anyway. And that is why some men attract women to they just talk about their needs for sex openly and women respect that more than if men are dishonest with themselves and evasive. Strangely women think it takes guts to show such vulnerability to sex and then their attitude is changes accordingly. When the reality is probably that they have learned its what works to get what they want more often and do it. That's my thoughts though after writing that its biased and am doubting what I said.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i've been manipulated a lot in my life. people who i thought were genuinely interested in me, turned out only interested in what i could do for them. fml.
I've gotten this a lot, but they didn't even realize that was their reason for loving me.

For my part, last year when swine flu was all the rage, my mom was trying really hard to get me to get vaccinated (my parents both got vaccinated, of course, because they're excessively paranoid and lack foresight, and look what happened: nothing, just like I said) and at one point during the winter I called her because I had stomach pains and such and was pretty scared (it turned out to be food poisoning from the cafeteria food at my old high school). She suggested at one point it might be swine flu, total serious, even though it was pretty obvious it wasn't that. I doubted her, and even recognized how she was trying to manipulate me so blatantly through my haze of anxiety and panic. The next day I called her out on it and called her manipulative, and she just laughed and said I was too smart for her. Needless to say, ever since then I've been weary of her and what she says about important decisions. That's a pretty mild example, though.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The business world is very manipulative of you!:crazy:

I usually get manipulated in the work force. I seem to always get in a situation where Im milked to do more than humanly possible with nothing to show for it. :dry:

As a caregiver you can get in sticky situations where the person who is dependent on you is also your boss. Which is so unhealthy! Sometimes thier "needs" can get quite unhealthy and ridiculous. I cared for someone who said I was actually "his hands" because he had none. Seems innocent and all but try having someone dictate and micro manage every move you make for 8 plus hours (the plus is all the overtime I didnt get compensated for) and tell me how exhausted you are afterwards. I wasnt trusted making top ramen on my own! Top ramen! lol :confused:

Ive also had jobs manipulate me into promotions that werent really promotions because there was no raise and nothing to benefit me but there was more responsibility. When I was 19 I was making a little above minimum wage and I was in charge of the money for three businesses, I was the night manager, I was in charge of tills, locking up the place, the safe ect. and I just had a lot of responsibility which wasnt reflected in how I was treated or compensated.

Therefore the business world I am not so fond of. So, to avoid it Im getting into small business and being in charge of myself. Which is difficult but at least what I put into it for the most part Ill get out of it. Ive also had enough jobs and seen alot of small business owners and I know Im intelligent enough to do so. Its quite an investment of time and money but that is the path Im on currently. :tongue:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Manipulators would probably have a better chance of getting me to do what they want simply by asking me directly but instead they spend unnecessary time going in circles. When I know where they are heading, I like to be purposefully difficult. I act like I'm ignorant and watch as they get caught in their own trap.

Examples:
Eating dinner at my aunt's house, my uncle started talking about finding a ride for one of my cousins after school. He and my aunt started arguing about it, and it became obvious that I was expected to volunteer, but I let the conversation go on a little longer than necessary. Why didn't he just ask?

I generally know the desired answer for leading questions, but I won't say it if it conflicts with my opinion. During sprints at basketball practice, my coach asked me if I liked running, so I said yes, wondering why he asked me that question when he knew that I also ran track. Luckily other people knew this, and my answer turned into a joke.

At recruitment, one of my sisters asked if the ribbons on my skirt should be tied. I told her I didn't think so because it came that way. She left and was talking to one of our alumnae. Later, the alumna came to talk to me and told me to tie the ribbons on my skirt. WTF. Why go to all that trouble when my sister could have just told me she thought the ribbons would look better tied?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts