Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive found that my personality changes according to those who i hang around. all of these personalities are still mine theyre just different sides of me. for example around a very positive friend im more smiley, around a more intense friend im very deep and philisophical.. so is that rly bad? cuz all these people are left confused cuase when they see me with others i act one way and aroudn another i act a different way. am i supposed to combine all thesse personalities into one?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I don't think ANYONE has one consistent, uniform side to themselves. A simple example can be how you act different with your parents, than with your friends - everyone does that. What's important though, is that you don't change your beliefs/opinions/values and characteristics that constitute your core. I can only guess how confused someone would be if their friend was particularly mocking/disdainful around some friends, and extremely kind around other friends. You have to be consistent in most things, but it's only natural that there would be slight alterations in your behavior depending on who you're with. Some people bring out sides of you that others do not, but fundamentally, you should still be the same person.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Those are called personas. We all have different behavioral models/"faces" for different social interactions. As kaleidoscope said, people behave differently around different people. Personality, on the other hand, is fairly consistent, but affects the way we present ourselves to other people, thus our personas.
Personality is who you are at your core, personas vary and may change over time, and may not always represent who you really are.

·
Registered
324 Posts
as patn said what you are describing is a change in persona not personality. so even though you may act differently towards different people. internally you are still the same person.

Everybody has those different sides to them and as long as those sides are actually congruent with who you are that's ok. That is to say as long as you aren't faking being nice with one group or faking another emotion with another and what you're doing actually corresponds with how you feel then it is ok.

My understanding also is that NF's particularly INFP's can sort of "mimic" people they are around in way of speak patterns and attitude. I have found myself doing this in the past where I suddenly am acting out of character and realize it's because I have started to copy someone I am with. Again either way my Values, Beliefs, and ideals are the same I am just not acting how I "normally" do.

anyway, just be you and don't over analyse too many of your actions. Be comfortable with who you are in the current moment.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What @dancininrain is describing is not only natural, but completely necessary in the life of ANY sane individual.

There isn't a person on the planet who acts the same in the following situations:
Job interview, with family, with SO.

So yeah, don't worry about it. Everyone does this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts