Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(cue Tool music)

What do you guys think about pot? My friend asked me to blaze with her tomorrow and I don't really know how to respond... if anything, I'm curious. I've seen some awesome art created by my friends when they were high. Not that that justifies usage, but I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think pot is safer and a lot more fun than drinking. I vote you should try it once(or maybe twice or three times so that you actually get high) in a safe place with your friends or someone you trust and see if you like it. BUT only if you want to. its your choice. and if you dont, well, then, dont. :) no big deal either way.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I honestly don't like the idea of using pot just to get high. If there's a good reason (medical, spiritual, etc), then sure. Otherwise, no.

Still, to each their own. It's your choice; no one can tell you to do it or not do it. I suppose if you're curious, it's better than getting drunk like youll.never.know said. Just make sure you won't do something to harm anyone, like driving.

477 Posts
I honestly don't like the idea of using pot just to get high. If there's a good reason (medical, spiritual, etc), then sure. Otherwise, no.

Still, to each their own. It's your choice; no one can tell you to do it or not do it. I suppose if you're curious, it's better than getting drunk like youll.never.know said. Just make sure you won't do something to harm anyone, like driving.
Driving under the influence of marijuana is actually more safe than normal driving in many cases. Unlike alcohol, which makes you aggressive, you get highly cautious and drive slowly while smoking weed.

And I think that drugs have done some good things for us in the past. *cues Third Eye*

·
Registered
112 Posts
a little piece of general wisdom about "plant teachers" that i once heard is: "if you have any doubts, then wait"

i think you should give it a shot though. :happy: (with people you trust, in a place you like etc.etc. as was said)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Marijuana is different from person to person. Some people can't handle it that well. Some of my friends have trouble not smoking all the time, and their life is pretty much stuck in a rut.

Other people can handle it better. I smoke everyday, but not until after I get off work. I'll smoke a joint or two during the evening to stress off. To be honest, I think I would be stressed out like hell and depressed if I didn't do it. But it doesn't affect my responsibility in a negative way. In fact, I think it strengthens it because I want to prove to myself that I can smoke and be responsible at the same time.

My advice to a newbie: try it, but take it slow. As an unexperienced smoker it's possible to smoke too much and have a bad time. But also don't believe the rumors that it can kill you and stuff. And it's not like you'll get blown away in some sort of trip and start hallucinating.

·
Registered
375 Posts
(cue Tool music)

What do you guys think about pot? My friend asked me to blaze with her tomorrow and I don't really know how to respond... if anything, I'm curious. I've seen some awesome art created by my friends when they were high. Not that that justifies usage, but I'm just sayin'
Bottes,

I am willing to be among the minority on this issue, seeing as how there are many marijuana sympathizers. This writing will probably not be short, but I think you deserve a thorough, broad-perspective look with such an important, life-altering question. Please bear with me! :)

I used marijuana for 4 years. I liked what it did with my mind, and the way it made me feel. It wasn't long before I was psychologically addicted to it. I had several other friends who used it, and we often used it together. The more I used it, the more often I wanted and felt like I needed it. Life and the passing hours without it became more difficult and hard to manage, so I increased my use. I was using it recreationally, but also because when I was on it, I felt like my anxieties were better. But when I was off of it then the anxiety would rebound and I would say to myself, "Well, time for more weed, then!" My mental state became increasingly fragile, and I experienced more panic attacks than usual, and my OCD flared up, but I told myself that it was just a problem with me, and that the marijuana would still help me. It really began to mess up my mind, and in the altered state I had many terrible fears penetrate through my consciousness...now these are vivid, haunting memories. It induced a type of paranoid thinking in me that has changed the way I think until this day, and I am now trying to heal myself from it. Marijuana also made my brain go into overdrive and see hidden meanings in everything, which stimulated me, but it turned into delusion.

Looking back, now that I have for the first time since experimenting with substances, my first year clean without it or anything else (would be 2 years now if I hadn't temporarily relapsed last year), I wish so badly that I had never tried it, but my mind is beginning to strengthen, and the longer I go without it, the more self-esteem I have, knowing that I am not using a substance to alter my mind or give me an illusion of peace, and the sharper my perceptions and thinking are. Still, marijuana nearly ruined my short-term memory.

In case you think that perhaps this is just Matchbook and his drug dependency, and that it's an isolated case, I can tell you that I have become acquainted or close friends with MANY marijuana users, and here are a couple snippets from them.

My ex-girlfriend: An INFJ, she used marijuana for several years to relax and escape her negative emotions. When I met her 2 years ago, she was inspired by me to quit, and she did for a short time, but she didn't know how to deal with life without it, so she picked it back up. Several months later she told me that she thought she was hearing a voice saying her name from time to time when there wasn't one. She kept using marijuana anyway, and very recently (well after our break-up) she told me she was afraid because she is starting to see, feel, and hear things that are not there. Her strange mental phenomena got better when she was off of it, but when she got back on it, she used it heavily, and her mind has suffered.

Previous smoking friend: One of the guys I smoked with (either ISTP or ESTP) a couple of years ago was very confident and laid back, and he laughed at me and played tricks on me because of my fears I had. He seemed like the kind of guy that would never have negative reactions with weed. But lo and behold, 2 years ago he suddenly had a reaction while smoking on the way to an airport where he became manic and hallucinated, and he was arrested because he stripped off his clothes in the airport and was screaming. The marijuana use had unsurfaced severe bipolar disorder that he has until this day. He's a completely different person now...shy, paranoid. Finally he has given marijuana up apparently, and he is doing noticeably better!

INFP friend: I have an INFP friend who I used to smoke with. I first had been smoking with his brother, and he was against it...but eventually he wore down and wanted to try it. When he did he thought it was the greatest thing in the world and he wanted to do it all of the time. He also said it made his social shyness better. I told him he shouldn't try it (because of what I knew about his mind), but he did. After a few months he was very dependent on it, and when he didn't have it, he couldn't function well at all. I quit marijuana at that point and encouraged him to as well, because I saw it was spinning him into oblivion. He did quit soon after, and now he deeply regrets trying it, because his mind has not been the same ever since. His social shyness actually became worse, and he's trying to recover from other negative mental symptoms. I feel bad for the influence I had that caused him to smoke.

INTJ friend: The brother of the INFP, an INTJ himself. He smoked for several years, and let's just say he slid into some serious paranoia. He stopped smoking, and since then he has changed SO much in his ability to communicate and empathize with others. But he still struggles with his paranoia. He regrets ever smoking weed.

ENFP friend: This friend of mine has charisma growing out his ears. He smoked since he was 10, and became absolutely dependent on it. When I got to know him 3 years ago, we smoked together, and he encouraged me to (people who smoke regularly are notorious for converting non-smokers, it's a fact, and they are good at it). His smoking really scattered his life and his mind big time, and his ideas became straight-up delusional. He tried giving it up several times, and kept coming back to it. At this point, I think he's been clean for several months, but it tempts him often. The longer he goes without it, the more sane he becomes. It's obvious when he relapses. He will lie to people to make time for smoking weed.

Another ENFP friend: I never smoked with him, but he shared about his experience. He became delusional from smoking pot. He thought he saw supernatural signs and meanings everywhere he looked, and he became intensely paranoid. He says that he still gets strong paranoia when he thinks too intensely about certain things.

Another ENFP friend: We smoked for a couple of years together, and liked messing with me, playing tricks on me. His life became completely absorbed by marijuana, and eventually he tried patterning everything about himself after Bob Marley, seriously. He has given it up now, and he has become a COMPLETELY different person, in a good way. He tells me that he had been making weed his god, basically worshipping it without realizing it. Unfortunately his mind was affected a lot by marijuana, and he struggles with depression and with a horrible HORRIBLE...let me emphasize...OBLITERATED short-term memory caused by the marijuana.

I could give more examples, but I think you'll see the main points in these.

If you don't use marijuana, you have absolutely nothing to lose. If you do use it, you could end up psychologically addicted, paranoid, depressed, bad short-term memory, or worse. There are many, many accounts of people who have tried it only once and they had a terrible panic attack that changed their thinking permanently. Those who do use it or have used it and liked it can be very compelling about how safe it is and that it should be legalized, and how it's all about moderation and respect for the plant, but you can regard all of those things and still have problems. Even some of these people will tell you these things, overlooking the fact that they have had terrible experiences with weed in the past. I mean...that's what I did. Weed was doing great harm to me, but I loved it, and so I went around justifying it and telling others about its many perceived virtues.

The previous friends I mentioned, I am still friends with many of them, and several of them as well as myself credit God for helping pull us out of the terrible marijuana spiral.

Later on in life you will not regret having never used marijuana. As far as I know, no one looks back on life and says, "Dang it, I should have smoked weed." But there are thousands upon thousands of people who look back and say, "If I hadn't smoked weed, I would have saved myself a lot of problems." Just think about it from that standpoint, and don't let the fanciful descriptions of weed's effects that your friends or others tell you sink a hook in you. I've written what I have because I do care about you, and I think it's awesome that you have not tried weed, and still have the opportunity to go through life without it, and I just don't want to see what happened to me or to any of the myriads of people I've known happen to you because of a detour with marijuana.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i use to blaze on the daily basis which i do not recommend because it just makes u a lazy bum and it actually lessens the high when you smoke up that often. Blazing once in a while is something i will recommend. It opens up your mind in ways you cant do when youre not high, and life seems to take on this cartoony feel to it that makes it that much more enjoyable.
This is my experience with it and it is different with everyone; i've also had "bad trips" which makes me paranoid of everything, but dont let that scare you from trying it. It really is harmless.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i use to blaze on the daily basis which i do not recommend because it just makes u a lazy bum and it actually lessens the high when you smoke up that often. Blazing once in a while is something i will recommend. It opens up your mind in ways you cant do when youre not high, and life seems to take on this cartoony feel to it that makes it that much more enjoyable.
This is my experience with it and it is different with everyone; i've also had "bad trips" which makes me paranoid of everything, but dont let that scare you from trying it. It really is harmless.
Acey, I thought I should point out a rather important contradiction. You said it is your experience, and that it's different for everyone, but then immediately after that you said that you've had bad trips, but not to worry about it, because they are harmless...if it's different for everyone, then how can you say all bad trips are harmless? I have a friend who smoked for a couple years with no problems, then one night (with non-laced weed) he smoked and he had a severe panic attack. He hallucinated terrible visions of chaos and death and he was petrified for an hour, shaking. He was scarred by that, terribly. Please be careful in what you call harmless. Just because you were able to shake off those bad trips doesn't mean everyone will. I think such occurences are a very good reason for not trying it. It's important to keep in mind that for some people their sanity is at stake, even if doesn't appear the case for one's self.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I used to smoke several times before, back in my high school days. It was fun, I acted pretty coo coo when I blazed with people and people loved it and enjoyed my "performances". :crazy:

But, I'm not serious about it anymore. I don't care when it's the next time I'll light up... I probably won't for a long time.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just because you were able to shake off those bad trips doesn't mean everyone will. I think such occurences are a very good reason for not trying it. It's important to keep in mind that for some people their sanity is at stake, even if doesn't appear the case for one's self.
Some people get psychotic from drinking alcohol. Many people become violent from drinking. And many become addicted to alcohol. Are those good reasons for not trying alcohol? With alcohol, peoples' lives are at stake. And you have to be predisposed to mental illnesses to be in risk from smoking - mental illnesses don't come out of thin air, not even with marijuana..

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Acey, I thought I should point out a rather important contradiction. You said it is your experience, and that it's different for everyone, but then immediately after that you said that you've had bad trips, but not to worry about it, because they are harmless...if it's different for everyone, then how can you say all bad trips are harmless? I have a friend who smoked for a couple years with no problems, then one night (with non-laced weed) he smoked and he had a severe panic attack. He hallucinated terrible visions of chaos and death and he was petrified for an hour, shaking. He was scarred by that, terribly. Please be careful in what you call harmless. Just because you were able to shake off those bad trips doesn't mean everyone will. I think such occurences are a very good reason for not trying it. It's important to keep in mind that for some people their sanity is at stake, even if doesn't appear the case for one's self.
The bad trips are harmless from my own experience and my friends around me. Infact, i think it to be quite instrumental in personal growth. A bad trip is usually because of an insecurity or fear that you have within yourself; i have some insecurities so paranoia sometimes creeps up during my sessions, but i've been able to face them down and not let it consume me, and in this way i think MJ is a nice tool to make you stronger.

It has been proven time and time again that marijuana is harmless and has no long-term affects. Sure you can argue that it can mentally scar you for life (which has never been proven or documented), but a lot of that has to do with your own mind, not the drug. I believe it allows you to experience yourself, and if you have a lot of demons, it can be like opening a can of worms, but isn't that what personal growth is all about?

i do stress though, do it in moderation, and do it when appropriate. Don't do it during a class break, before work, when you have to drive later, etc.

be responsible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Weeds awesome. It's way better for you than alcohol and a much healthier feeling high in my opinion. Not all drugs are bad. Of course there are going to be those people who had some kind of traumatic experience with it. But honestly isn't the case with ANYTHING new. I say go for it if you're curious about it. There's nothing to worry about as long as you're in a good environment inside and out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Matchbook:
Thank you so much for the thorough response. I really wasn't expecting anything like that... whoa. Thanks.

I'm so sorry about your bad memories, but maybe in the long run it'll turn you into a stronger person. I'm guessing you feel weaker now than you did pre-pot, but I think you'll heal strongly... just seems like it.

About your INFJ ex and the other people with delusions... I had no idea pot could induce that. I've heard of acid triggering schizophrenia in people who have predisposition to it (I'm genetically predisposed and don't want to do acid for that reason). I've read on a few random corners of the internet marijuana doesn't trigger psychosis (is psychosis the right word? I am but a young padawan), but after reading that from you, I'm strongly reconsidering... I'll have to do more research, but it unsurfacing mental illness is very relevant to me. Seeing "hidden messages" is very appealing to me... but I would only ever want to be in that place when I'm high. I don't want it to pervade my everyday life. Does it do that often?

I don't consider myself to have an addictive personality. It seems like doing it a few times a year is harmless (but that must be what everyone says until they get hooked)... if I do end up trying it, I'm going to promise myself to use it very sparingly.

You've gotten me to see the other side of it, which I really do appreciate, since a good chunk of the people around me are "pass around the jointttttt, we're all oneeee, mannn.......".

and thanks to everyone else who responded as well, I still need to do more research... Acey, I like what you said about opening a can of worms. You guys both seem really knowledgeable about this.

My main fear in trying any drug is unleashing schizophrenia and I really don't want to become another "crazy relative" and add to the legacy of the other crazies in my family.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Being High

Oh My God!

You've 'NEVER' been stoned before!.... Waaw..... you gotta get high...at 'least' once in your life!

Honestly! getting stoned on cannabis (marijuana) will be one of the most 'AMAZING' experiences of your life!

How can I describe it....??? ...it's really quite hard to describe unless you've felt what its like to be high.... I mean 'how would you describe what an orgasm feels like to someone who's never had one?

I'll try my best to describe what it's like being high:

It's like suddenly you become tuned into a whole different 'frequency' where you see everything from a whole new perspective.... your senses become heightened so everything you see, hear, touch, taste and smell become 100 times sharper and in tune...

e.g. you'll maybe go to the fridge and get a fudge yogurt and 'honestly' it will be the best f**king fudge yogurt you have 'EVER' tasted in your entire life!

you'll listen to really beautiful piece of music..... and you will hear 'everything'... every instrument that plays every note!

You will look at things in a new light...and things that would usually go unnoticed will be absolutely side splittingly hilarious!

your attention will be caught by the sheer 'beauty' of the horizon... and you will find yourself just kind of sitting there gazing into the 'Wonderous Splendour' that created 'all this'

Sex when you are high is just 'Astounding!' you feel absolutely 'everything' and become so in-tune with your partner... an orgasm will just 'blow you away'....

Your mind will go into a kind of mind maze where the answers to everything will open up and unfold in your mind's eye.... the best way to describe it would be 'unique flashes of insight' where the answers to everything are right there in your minds eye...but then just as quickly you loose concentration and forget this moment of 'genius'

My advice: 'Write it down'.... whatever it is that comes into your head at the time... reading it over again when the 'stone' has worn off will astound you!

All in all I would say cannabis is a 'magical' plant... a wonderful tool that grows in this world for a purpose and a reason.... to expand our consciousness and open our senses and our minds up to the absolute wonder that is inherent in everything surrounding us...

Try it!

take it easy if its your first time... maybe just sit in a nice quiet relaxing place alone... somewhere you feel safe and secure... preferably outdoors... somewhere with nice scenery and surroundings...

and just smoke.... :happy:

best to smoke bud only... forget that carcinogenic tobacco to go with it... maybe use a bong... and take as many breaths as you can handle... then sit back and enjoy the show :laughing:

p.s

afterwords you will also get the 'best' sleep of your life... guaranteed!

·
Registered
161 Posts
So much fun. The first time I had a really bad trip and I was half crying, but all of the other times have been great.

It really...dumbs you down. Like, it's like those moments where you find stupid things funny, but all the time?

And depending on how high you are or what kind of pot it is (I think, i'm not an expert), music feels pretty different, and at a certain point different things will trip you out.

Like, I was on this stoner blog, where they post all sorts of strange shit to look at whilst high, and it was very strange. In a good way, though.

I'd say do it if you're sure you're with people you like. Just make yourself comfortable and don't abuse it.

Edit^ yeah, you will get the sleep you've ever had :DD

All this talk about weed makes me want to go get high <_<'

WAIT! Negative things worth mentioning that may or may not be the result of getting high:

My friend describes being depressed when she's alone and gets off a high. Like...when you're high, everything is more rich and vibrant, and when you come down from it the world is a little less colorful.

That, and it affects your memory slightly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts