Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Haha, no. Not to say my dad isn't a good guy, but his personality is not something I'd be attracted to. If anything I tend to choose guys who are the opposite. :proud:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ah, the Freudian complexes that still hold superstitious roots in our society..........

And for this chica, no......just no.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Oh gosh. My husband and my dad couldn't be further apart in most senses. The similarities they do have are practical stuff like being good at building things; personalty-wise though, there's not much in common between the two of them -- thank freaking goodness. (My husband is an ENFJ, my dad an ISTJ.) My dad and I have a pretty rough relationship and although I know that he's generally a good person, we're both rather emotionally-unhealthy and just don't understand each other a lot of the time -- and that's made for a lot of problems in our relationship. (Rather disturbingly, when I'm at my worst, I see a lot of my dad's traits in myself...)

·
Registered
414 Posts
is it true women marry men like their father? how do i stop this, cuz my father is quite phycotic!!
Ha ha!!! I think this is actually a bit true :-( My dad, is a bit of a geek/nerd, he is funny but no one gets his cornball humour, and he peacocks constantly and will never stop. So I think basically, we are all doomed. Full circle. :laughing:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha, no. Not to say my dad isn't a good guy, but his personality is not something I'd be attracted to. If anything I tend to choose guys who are the opposite. :proud:
Ha the INFJ crush, is not like my father in most ways, but just a few of the more superficial ways, which are still funny. My father is way more extreme, way way more with habits. He is not grounded whatsoever. He has never really been, poor guy he had a really rough childhood, so that is a big part of it. He has reasons, but still, excuses can still be excuses.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh gosh. My husband and my dad couldn't be further apart in most senses. The similarities they do have are practical stuff like being good at building things; personalty-wise though, there's not much in common between the two of them -- thank freaking goodness. (My husband is an ENFJ, my dad an ISTJ.) My dad and I have a pretty rough relationship and although I know that he's generally a good person, we're both rather emotionally-unhealthy and just don't understand each other a lot of the time -- and that's made for a lot of problems in our relationship. (Rather disturbingly, when I'm at my worst, I see a lot of my dad's traits in myself...)
My dad is an ISTJ too which is probably I'm like you and would want to avoid that kind of clash. xD

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd find it rather hard to find a father like me. Does this mean I'm doomed to never have a girlfriend? O_0

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Wow, this got me thinking. I am A LOT like my father in law was. He passed away years ago but I think he was an INFP. I knew him personally maybe 6 years. It always baffled me why my wife was interested in me from the beginning, maybe this is why. Never occurred to me before. And her 6 sisters treat me way better than most women I've known. I was nothing at all like my first father in law. Never got much respect from that wife or her sister. This might all be random chance but I think there may be something to this, at least in some marriages, possibly mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd love to find a man like my dad....he was an INFP/INFJ :) I instead seem to draw my mother to me (she shows up to me in either gender). SIGH....mom was/still is a nut job. I turned out like my father, instead of my mother, and now am making the same mistakes he did in regards to romantic partnerships.

Reactions: Ayia

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Gotta admit, if I was around in 1968 when my dad graduated high school, I probably would have went for a guy like him. Most of the guys I dated have a lot in common with my dad. He was in a band in the late 60s, he's a musician, he is intelligent, he's an introvert, he's a sweetheart, he is both logical and silly, great sense of humor... yeah, my dad is cool.

When my husband and I were trying to type my dad, husband said he was probably the same type as him. I agreed. But then it turned out they were one letter different. Husband - INTP. Dad - ISTP. Dad is a little more assertive and ambitious than husband, but both are stellar guys.

so yeah. The theory rings true with me. It's weird to admit that, but yes....

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Let me just say I wish I could be more like my father-in-law. Such a fine gentleman with a great sense of humor and so very patient and kind. Emotionally he's very much together. If I were to type him I would guess ENFP. He is my role model.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah, i seem to be looking for a chick just like my mom, as flippantly annoyiing and weird as that is
Don't worry, I seem to be doing the same thing. I tend to like girls who are a bit timid and docile, polite and caring, and who give a damn about their physical and mental health.

On the other hand, my extremely non-confrontational mother has led me to have no patience for girls who refuse to argue. Outside of relationships, I hate arguing, but I grew up with tension that bubbled and boiled but never got to see the light of day, and now when I have a problem with a girlfriend I want to talk about it honestly. If we argue and it gets a bit nasty, at least I know what I am doing wrong and I can let her know where I stand. I can't handle bottling things up the way they did.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Just to preface this post, I'm 30 now, so I qualify as an old man by our hyper-youth oriented culture. So, as a soon to be dinosaur, I found this song to be quite hilarious :laughing: and vexing :confused:

I wonder if there's an old woman version, since there are more cougars nowadays.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I think it's more accurate to say that we are likely to marry a man who reminds us of an influential male figure with whom we bonded growing up or whose approval we sought. For some women, that IS their dad. For other women, it's someone else. I have a great relationship with my dad, but the guys I've dated, and even my husband, have more characteristics in common with my brother who is 10 years older than I am. I really looked up to him as a child.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts