Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yeah, like, martial arts, right?

I practice my own style, heavily influenced by Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, a.k.a. The Way of the Intercepting Fist, or Jun Fan Gung Fu (which was itself heavily influenced by wing chun, not to mention fencing, jiu-jitsu, and savate.) Which is all to say I don't have a style, I just try to incorporate whatever is useful, from any style.

Training includes body awareness exercises, balance control, breath control, varied cardio (especially running up/down stairs,) full range-of-movement dumbbell exercises, punching bag, footwork drills, parkour rolls, climbing, shadow boxing, etc etc.

I'm a big fan of Bruce Lee's movies, as well as anything to do with Jackie Chan. The martial arts scenes in Cowboy Bebop have always inspired me, and everything about the Avatar series (Last Airbender and Legend of Korra both.) Also Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2.

I also have my own philosophy of fighting, or like my own tao, I guess. Rule 1 is Don't Fight. If a situation can be talked down, or if running is an option, always take those ways first. Violence is a last resort, and only used to prevent further violence. It's a means of peace in that it's aim is to bring about as little strife and as much harmony as possible. The other rules are mostly derivative from Rule 1.

I like martial arts because it gives me a sense of control over myself, and as I have anxiety and self-confidence issues, this has been an essential tool for me.

Anyway, hoping there are some other martial artists or martial-arts-enthusiasts willing to share their experiences.

[ P.S. My handle is Bad Dog because that's sort of the name/joke I have for my way of fighting. I figure you want to be like a bad dog in a fight, not doing what the adversary wants you to do, frustrating him, that sort of thing. And I play-fight with my dog a lot.

"...total comprehension of all of the skills of the martial arts is very difficult to achieve. To understand, you must study all of natural movement in all living things." - Bruce Lee ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts