Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself to be pretty materialistic. I think this has to do with the fact that possessions are my friends because I find it hard to make real friends. My sensing probably enforces it more because it just feels more empty not having anything at all. I don't think this is the case for all ISTJ's, but it seems to be that way for me.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
depends on what you mean by materialistic. i have thousands of dollars worth of books and stuff in mind but all of which has a practical application. im not spending money on the new splinter cell game beceause i know how long the novelty of that will last. buying things just to have them is materialistic, buying things beceause you could find practical use for them is not.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm very materialistic as well, but like Apollo said it may be somewhat of a product of the American culture and it's high value placed on possessions. We're a very materialistic nation. With that being said, I could easily go blow tons and tons of money on things I've had in my head for a long time that I want. I'm currently going through college working towards a degree that will hopefully bring me a decent income. Making 100,000/year is the goal, more would be nice.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I don't necessarily consider myself materialistic, but I take very good care of my possessions because I am frugal and I want them to last me as long as they can. I like things to be in perfect condition and function. I am hesitant to let others borrow my things because I don't want them to break something or ruin something.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I don't necessarily consider myself materialistic, but I take very good care of my possessions because I am frugal and I want them to last me as long as they can. I like things to be in perfect condition and function. I am hesitant to let others borrow my things because I don't want them to break something or ruin something.
I take very good care of my possessions as well.

Ex: I HATE it when people want to lean on my car or be rough with it like it's some piece of junk or something. I've had people comment that I need to chill when I start freaking out when they do stuff I don't approve to my car (sitting some heavy object on my trunk, feet on the seats, climbing from the front to backseat, leaning on my car, pushing on the squishy roof part). That stuff drives me nuts.:angry:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I am one of those few girls who don't hold any fascination towards jewellery and such items. For me, they are trinkets that give you more trouble than not. Can't wear expensive ones everyday as yoou would appear too show off, can't walk with them everywhere in case they get stolen, can only use it once a while. Whats the point? No use except once or twice a year and yet so expensive. Think of how much good you could do if you actually donated that amount to some orphanage.

On the other hand, if a thing has its uses: then I am a sucker for it. Buying clothes, etc. is one of it. I mean, you use them everyday at least. So, I am rather materialistic for a certain things. Stationary items hold my fantasy like no other- The one with most usage, cheapest and more longer lasting things. Sometimes, I just want to buy things for the sake of collecting them. I am still working on trying to not do this, though:blushed:.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't see myself as materialistic in the sense that I measure my worth by what I have materially.

However, I do like nice things, and I will always buy the best I can afford. I won't buy (for example) a cheaper dining room table to save money if I really like the more expensive one. I also won't favour the more expensive table just because it IS more expensive. It's about what I like. I also don't like to buy on credit. I loathe debt.

So no, I don't consider myself materialistic. I just like nice things... :happy:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depends, I can be very frugal or I can buy stuff just to buy stuff, but the stuff has to have a purpose. I don't go out and buy something just to say I have it.

Yes, Americans are collectors of possessions.The more we have the better we feel. Some say it is " status". Is it "status" or just living above your means? I use to have to have the latest and greatest of everything...ie big ticket items, but over time, I've learned that the best things I have are my family, the friends I have and the time I am able to have with them and my health. :happy:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually don't go to the point where I go beyond my means, but I do have a lot of stuff. Maybe it's a part of why I lean towards a P. I try to be patient and find the best deal on something. For me, it's old video games, music, movies, etc.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I can relate to all of these posts; some more strongly than others.

I do think that it is in the ISTJ nature to enjoy possessions, to dislike borrowing and lending possessions, and to try to take very good care of possessions. However, I also believe that nurture plays a big role in our feelings toward possessions.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I'm very interested in these responses! I have a ISTJ/ISTP father and this is fascinating to me.

Going definition-wise, a "materialistic" person is someone who loves material -- loves the earth, loves everything material, and is horrified at its destruction. Hence, "materialist" -- love of material. And it is a very fascinating subject to discuss/think about! But due to this definition, I am always somewhat perplexed when I hear America described as materialist!

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Materialistic means being overly preoccupied with the getting or gaining of material goods, and implies a lack of depth in introspection and in personal relationships.

The implications do not really fit ISTJs as a group, but the appreciation of material goods does seem to apply to ISTJs as a trait.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I like having stuff. But don't get that confused with wanting to have the latest and greatest stuff. ( I will use my old, outdated, partially-functional phone until it finally keels over and dies!) I'm more of a Function over Fashion type of girl. I like having useful and good quality items and like to take care of said items, because I hate having to go out and by new stuff!

The only Item is always want more of, however, is Models. I cant get enough of my model airplanes!! :blushed:

OWL

·
Registered
106 Posts
I, like niss, can find something to agree with all of the posts.

I do tons of research when planning a new purchase. I do like to have a certain level of comfort and have one indulgence with my bicycles (yes, that's meant to be plural:laughing:).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've always been a big saver of money, never cared much for things. I like new things though. Things I save up for that have a purpose I get really excited about. For instance the camera i'm saving up for now, it's going to cost me about $600-800 but I am very much looking forward to it. Everything in my room was bought used. At one point in my life I had 15k in the bank, never working for a higher wage than $12/hr, so I guess everyone is a bit diff.

Also; I have a tendency to save up money for a rainy day, if I lost my job, could I support myself till I found a new one? If my car broke down, could I fix it? If I got hurt, could I pay my hospital bill, etc. So even If I was materialistic, I'm far too logical to blow it on things I don't really need.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm neither materialistic or anti, but I do value what things I have. I try to buy higher quality when I want something, only so it will last a long time. I try to repair or salvage stuff that's worn out or broken, but there's only so much to be done with certain items. I value comfort more than possessions, in that I'm more comfortable with money in the bank.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I can relate to all of these posts; some more strongly than others.

I do think that it is in the ISTJ nature to enjoy possessions, to dislike borrowing and lending possessions, and to try to take very good care of possessions. However, I also believe that nurture plays a big role in our feelings toward possessions.
^ This. While I agree with everyone else in that it depends on what I feel is important, the things that are important to me I take care of, because I don't know if/when I am going to be able to replace them.

I don't like lending things out because they either walk, or because when they are returned, they haven't been cared for properly. It's like some people just don't care. It's very frustrating.

Having said that, I will refrain from spending money on certain things that most people find important (for instance, I don't need an iPhone or a Droid ... my generic QWERTY phone does the job just the same. I don't need a big-screen TV ... heck, I don't even have cable or satellite. If it's not on broadcast television, I guess I'm not watching it).

However, I will (and have) spend ridiculous amounts of money on good-fitting undergarments. Better to spend $50 on a bra that will last five years than to spend $10 on one that will fall apart in six months. Another thing I tend to spend money on is things related to body art; I just dropped $120 + tip this past Saturday on two tattoos that mean a lot to me (one of them was paw prints of the cat I recently had to have put to sleep).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do tons of research when planning a new purchase. I do like to have a certain level of comfort and have one indulgence with my bicycles (yes, that's meant to be plural:laughing:).
Sounds like me. I currently have TONS of data about a new possible bike(no motor) that I have been researching since summer. Will probably cost ~$15000. That is not a typo.

BTW. why that nick? That looks like Swedish.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts