Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi, this is me again. On another rant.
Anyway, it started with this math test that I was so sure I'd ace. Long story short, I completely flunked it, and I went through the questions to see what I'd miss.

It seems that when y> 2x+15, it means that the shaded region is actually below the line, not on top. What the fuck? How does that make any sense? If Y is more than the equation, than it is only logical that the covered region is above the line, not below it.

Also, to make matters worse, it turned out that I would have gotten the last page right if it wasn't for this guy next to me telling me that I was wrong. Turned out he flunked the test too, and the last one as well. Talk about over-confident idiots. :crying:

Oh well, I'll just go re-take it. But really? Y> is less? Whoever created Math has nothing better to do than to shove dildos repeatedly up his mouth. :frustrating:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Funny, I thought Alegbra I was easy.

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fastest way to be sure is double-checking.
Pick an easy-to-use point, see in which region it falls (in this case, try with (0,0) )
It is annoying, but you won't need to do that forever!

edit: and as psychosmurf points out... you got it right the first time. You don't need to do that anymore!

·
Registered
126 Posts
What did the question ask for, specifically? Word for word if you can. :eek:

Reactions: Radiant Flux

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm awful at math. The only thing holding me back from changing my major to chemistry is the fact that I'm an absolute failure when it comes to math. I feel your pain.

Reactions: Ti Dominant

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I don't like math either. Some of us just aren't cut out for it (even if we are logical people).
It's just something you just may not really enjoy as a person. Perhaps yours strengths lie elsewhere.
But don't give up on math entirely. I really dislike math, but I think I'll try to keep up with it as my life unfolds.
I am by no means a mathematical person, haha.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
It seems that when y> 2x+15, it means that the shaded region is actually below the line, not on top. What the fuck? How does that make any sense? If Y is more than the equation, than it is only logical that the covered region is above the line, not below it.
I'm pretty damn certain you were right. Unless of course you misread the question. :mellow:

Oh, and did you make sure to indicate that the line is not itself part of the shaded region?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi, this is me again. On another rant.
Anyway, it started with this math test that I was so sure I'd ace. Long story short, I completely flunked it, and I went through the questions to see what I'd miss.

Psychosmurf said:
I'm pretty damn certain you were right. Unless of course you misread the question.

Oh, and did u make sure to indicate that the line is not itself part of the shaded region?

Psychosmurf is right. I teach high school math, and unless you're explaining it differently here than what it says on your test, you're right.

If you graph y > 2x + 15, the shading should be done above the line. And like miopensiero said, if you're ever not sure, you can always choose a point in your shaded region to plug in for x and y to see if it makes the inequality true. I've noticed that with some of my students, for really steep lines, they have trouble determining which part is shaded above and which part is shaded below.

You have to be careful about using a dotted or solid line, too...in this case it should be dotted.

·
Registered
344 Posts
was is a greater than sign or a greater than or equal to sign?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I liked math until I reached Calculus. I had to take Calc 2 as a pre-req for my CS class and flunked. Although, I never went to class either. Haha

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm always so suprised by how many INTPs are no good at math. I always just assumed it was one of our major strengths as I am really good at math and always have been. That said, I feel obligated to stipulate that I am only considered good at math when it comes to advanced math. I am ridiculously slow at basic math and I'm getting slower as I just use a calculator for all my basic math except adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying single digit figures. My real strength is how well I can perceive systems; I don't just memorize the exact operations for equations, I just have to understand how and why the equation works and I can reformulate and extrapolate it into much more advanced versions of the equation.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm always so suprised by how many INTPs are no good at math. I always just assumed it was one of our major strengths as I am really good at math and always have been. That said, I feel obligated to stipulate that I am only considered good at math when it comes to advanced math. I am ridiculously slow at basic math and I'm getting slower as I just use a calculator for all my basic math except adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying single digit figures. My real strength is how well I can perceive systems; I don't just memorize the exact operations for equations, I just have to understand how and why the equation works and I can reformulate and extrapolate it into much more advanced versions of the equation.
i agree. i have always been good at maths, but i only discovered it for real when i entered university. i think many intps think they are bad or don't like math because they have been scared away by the drudgery of basic math. math is learned, at least up to high school, as basic numbers and calculus(details). but advanced math on higher level is a different thing; it's abstract and creative, ideal for intps. it's not about who can calculate something the fastest.

·
Registered
672 Posts
it's abstract and creative, ideal for intps.
But not necessarily ideal for every INTP. Art, music and English can also be abstract and creative. I was average at maths, but rubbish at chess and the Rubix Cube. What I am good at is seeing a pathway through a problem by standing back from it and seeing the big picture.

An INTP is happiest when they don't have to deal with lots of absolutes. We not only dislike them, we sometimes can't even come to grips with them or understand the...uh..concept of them.

INTP does not necessarily mean math expert. Does not compute.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts