Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
So, I've come across this one area of mathematics which I'm having difficulty understanding. For some reason, I have difficulty wrapping my head around anything beyond the basics of permutations. I was wondering if anyone here was good with this sort of thing and could help me.

Thanks.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Gossip Goat

I've looked at some, yes. What I mainly find I'm struggling with is word problems where certain conditions are placed upon the permutations. I need more practice with those, but I've not really found anything that helps.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Ohh, I like these. Did you have a specific part you find confusing? I think, in general, if someone asks something simple like how many ways you can arrange n items, then you think, n slots, then how many choices do you have for things to put in the first slot? That would be n, since you have n things, then in the next slot, how many choices? You used one already, so n - 1, which you'd multiply, so then you have n*(n-1)*(n-2)...*1 which is n!

But yeah, if you had something specific, I'd be happy to try to help.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh, I like these. Did you have a specific part you find confusing? I think, in general, if someone asks something simple like how many ways you can arrange n items, then you think, n slots, then how many choices do you have for things to put in the first slot? That would be n, since you have n things, then in the next slot, how many choices? You used one already, so n - 1, which you'd multiply, so then you have n*(n-1)*(n-2)...*1 which is n!

But yeah, if you had something specific, I'd be happy to try to help.
Thank you. I'll send you a private message shortly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.