Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I get so pissed off knowing that I'm not that good at math. The simple stuff is easy(obviously) but I want to know the super complicated physics formulas and whatnot. I try and try again to learn these things on my own, failing every time. I suppose it's just that I feel so damn incompetent when other people know, what I want to know.

Any other INTJs get this feeling? Anyone know a good way for me to study this stuff, or should I just got to school for it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sometimes I get so pissed off knowing that I'm not that good at math. The simple stuff is easy(obviously) but I want to know the super complicated physics formulas and whatnot. I try and try again to learn these things on my own, failing every time. I suppose it's just that I feel so damn incompetent when other people know, what I want to know.

Any other INTJs get this feeling? Anyone know a good way for me to study this stuff, or should I just got to school for it?

Thanks.
I understand.
Usually with math, I generally can understand the concepts and how to do it and all, but I have trouble applying myself due to lack of interest and sometimes, there are too many steps and I just automatically lose interest. I'm in Algebra 3-4 currently and have a borderline D...what mainly contributes to that type of grade is lack of studying and the test in general are immensely difficult...I'm more into Language than Mathmatics
So, when others have As and Bs, I feel incompetent

Since you're asking for advice, I have some to spare: Study, take lots of notes, ask questions and STUDY

I'm not sure exactly how to tell you to study considering everyone has their own methods, but I can suggest that you study with someone who is decent at the math you're learning so you might learn from them or you can
Just look over notes but that usually doesn't help too much.

I fail to study so I just assume studying can't hurt...it's tedious, yes, but it will help

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Realizing your intellect or abilities are limited is never fun. In a field like math it's especially lame because, unlike history for example, you cannot pile facts or information into your head to achieve better results--it comes down to problem solving.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I work in financial mathematics. I like the application of math in a "real" context, especially the bridging from the symbolic to the real world and back. On the other hand, I'm not super good at deep, symbolic math (for a PhD, that is), I need to get the concepts, not the symbols.

·
Registered
18 Posts
maths is great - sometimes when i don't understand stuff i leave it for a while and then go back to it - think about it logically and it often enough makes sense and then it stays with me...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've never had trouble with any math. I'm currently taking accelerated advanced abstract calculus (undergraduate intraductory). The class is still only mildly challenging. I intend to major in mathematics. Then again, math is one of my strong points.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I work in financial mathematics. I like the application of math in a "real" context, especially the bridging from the symbolic to the real world and back. On the other hand, I'm not super good at deep, symbolic math (for a PhD, that is), I need to get the concepts, not the symbols.
Same with me. I like all those financial management things that are related with enterpreneurship and real life but algebra drove me nuts at school. But in university I was the only one from my group who have got an A in finance. I see now the difference - I have to understand the problem which Im solving, oherwise I just cannot analyse results and it sucks.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,454 Posts

Thanks.
Funny, I found trig to be a breeze - but simple subtraction and division? Not so much. :tongue:

To give you hope, though, I've gotten better at the basics by using a phone app the last few weeks that makes me answer math problems before the alarm dismisses. I then follow up with some algebra problems in a different program, and then do some memory exercises in a third. By the time I do all that, I'm awake enough I can get out of bed instead of hitting the snooze button over and over and oversleeping. :blushed: But yeah, a little over a long period of time is effective, at least for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel the same as OP. I have a great understanding of physics and chemistry and quantum science, but actually doing the equations is too boring for my interests, so I never fully learn them enough to take them apart.

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,454 Posts
I feel the same as OP. I have a great understanding of physics and chemistry and quantum science, but actually doing the equations is too boring for my interests, so I never fully learn them enough to take them apart.
On standardized math tests, I always scored high on the conceptual section, and crap on the calculations section. In other words, I know how, I just need to set up the equations and stuff and let someone else do the simple math.

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
I was never very good at math. It didn't make sense to me until I took physics. Once I could see how everything worked in relation to real principles, I was fine.

Reactions: bionic

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love math because there's always going to be a definite answer. With language arts and social studies, the answers and possibilities are endless. :confused:
Yep, and I have to hold myself back, otherwise I could wright the whole novell :))) Lecturers dont like this, because they have to read it and it takes too much time. :) Yesterday I had inspiration so now I have to erase some text from my work :)))) but everything seems just in place.. And that is my problem..
So from that point of view it isnt good if there is too many ways on handling a problem.

·
Registered
521 Posts
@OP, I feel your pain.

:unsure:

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I like math now, but wasn't much of a fan when I was younger. I've always preferred language and biological sciences.

I work in finance too, but financial math isn't that difficult. I'm working on a big tax reporting project right now - I enjoy that type of work. I can get lost in it, and the day goes by much faster. I dislike geometry a lot for some reason. When my daughter took it last year, I was not much help.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Suggestions...

Free learning styles inventory (test, quiz or questionnaire), including graphical results has a test to figure out one's learning style that may help in figuring out what works for you. Remember not everyone learns the same and this means it can take a few different approaches before you find what works for you. I'd be tempted to say keep trying different things and see what works and what sucks in your case.

While I do have a B. Math degree, Math can be an incredibly diverse subject as one of my majors was Combinatorics & Optimization, What is C&O has more for those wanting to dig into that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts