Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve read several times that INTPs make good mathematicians, but I find myself being terrible at it.
Maybe because I find it boring.

What about you guys?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hate mathematics, absolutely cannot stand the process. That said, I became a technical draftsmen without formal education and I was successful with it till 2008 when the economy tanked out hard. I had 6 years in the industry.

I can apply mathematics for practical purposes, but that requires an interesting application. Math classes are just... I simply don't have the patience to go through the motions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate mathematics, absolutely cannot stand the process. That said, I became a technical draftsmen without formal education and I was successful with it till 2008 when the economy tanked out hard. I had 6 years in the industry.

I can apply mathematics for practical purposes, but that requires an interesting application. Math classes are just... I simply don't have the patience to go through the motions.
I agree with you.
Math classes tend to focus on unimportant things that we cannot apply to our daily lives. I find it useless and therefore uninteresting.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I like math and I love mastering it, but I hate practicing like I'm supposed to. Used to ace it in middle school when it was enough to be quick at learning and applying basic logic, but after that - when you had to practice hours at home with whatever - was when I started getting worse at it.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I loved mathematics, I got the highest grades in it in high school. It's been quite a while since I used most of it, but I still find it interesting.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Love it but I never understood what equals meant.
Actually same goes for other operators :D

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
I´ve read several times that INTPs make good mathematicians, but I find myself being terrible at it.
Maybe because I find it boring.

What about you guys?
Being INTP doesn't mean you would be good at (or like mathematics) but ...

What level of mathematics have you had so far? I always did well in mathematics in high school but it wasn't the most mentally stimulating until I took higher levels of mathematics in college. Calculus was very interesting to me, but I had to struggle do well on tests (therefore to get good grades) but grades are separate from having interests in a subject.

There are other areas of mathematics that one can find very interesting:

https://www.ted.com/talks/ron_eglash_on_african_fractals?language=en

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,475 Posts
I will learn maths. Until I can understand this:

I am a complete failure as a human until I achieve this goal. This single equation generates and controls the entire universe. Nothing else could matter more than understanding it. To quote Plato, geometry will draw the soul towards truth; geometry existed before creation. Well it's calculus and not geometry but let's give him a pass for getting that technicality wrong since it took near 2000 years after his death to the discovery of calculus.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Math is much more of an INTJ thing.

I enjoy some of the math, but then there are these boring ass formulas and equations that are always written. I hate written math.
And math was (along with french) where I had the worst grades.

Reactions: Aridela

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Math is much more of an INTJ thing.

I enjoy some of the math, but then there are these boring ass formulas and equations that are always written. I hate written math.
And math was (along with french) where I had the worst grades.
I think there is some truth to this. Te is more effective with mathematics. I think INTPs interests, being Ti and Ne would tend to gravitate towards Physics than mathematics. But it is a rather minor relevance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Being INTP doesn't mean you would be good at (or like mathematics) but ...

What level of mathematics have you had so far? I always did well in mathematics in high school but it wasn't the most mentally stimulating until I took higher levels of mathematics in college. Calculus was very interesting to me, but I had to struggle do well on tests (therefore to get good grades) but grades are separate from having interests in a subject.

There are other areas of mathematics that one can find very interesting:

https://www.ted.com/talks/ron_eglash_on_african_fractals?language=en
So far i´ve had something called P1 math, next year i´ll have P2. (I don´t know if it´s called P1/P2 other places than Scandinavia)
I like decoding things and such, but that is not taught in school, which is a great shame.

Yeah, I hope to find an area of mathematics that I truly find interesting.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
So far i´ve had something called P1 math, next year i´ll have P2. (I don´t know if it´s called P1/P2 other places than Scandinavia)
I like decoding things and such, but that is not taught in school, which is a great shame.

Yeah, I hope to find an area of mathematics that I truly find interesting.
Find your passion(s) and pursuit it (them). But as with mathematics, there may be some boring aspects that are necessary to learn along the way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Find your passion(s) and pursuit it (them). But as with mathematics, there may be some boring aspects that are necessary to learn along the way.
Mhm, and I think that that learning these necessarities is what put me off.
I will though, from now be on the lookout for interesting mathematic areas.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Mhm, and I think that that learning these necessarities is what put me off.
I will though, from now be on the lookout for interesting mathematic areas.
I hated Physics with a passion when I was in high school. I had a terrible teacher and the simple stuff taught in high school bored me. And the goal in high school was about taking and passing tests, not really learning what is going on. But I drifted (quite by accident) into becoming a Physics major in college and once I was there (in the Physics department) it kept my interest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hated Physics with a passion when I was in high school. I had a terrible teacher and the simple stuff taught in high school bored me. And the goal in high school was about taking and passing tests, not really learning what is going on. But I drifted (quite by accident) into becoming a Physics major in college and once I was there (in the Physics department) it kept my interest.
Interesting, maybe something like that will happen for me too.
I hope so really. I may still be too young (?)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts