Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an INTP as you have noted, but in the past i was one.
one of the things that always made me suspect if i was really an INTP was all that thing that we INTPs are very logical and good with maths and science.
God, I didn't pass high school maths.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Logic is not exclusive to INTP. Neither is maths and science. I was average at both.

Problem solving is more my forte than logic, actually, although the two go hand in hand. But I like to design the logic behind the process of a problem that needs to be solved. If that makes sense.:laughing:

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I am pretty good at non-visual math (in other words, no geometry or story problems) but I only occasionally enjoy it.
As far as science goes, my interest is almost exclusively in physics and neuroscience. Subjects like geology, biology, astronomy, and so forth can bore me to death.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Although I appreciate the beauty of math, I was never motivated enough to learn enough to fully appreciate it. Kind of like chess can be beautiful, but unless you get to the level of grandmaster you aren't really appreciate all of it's beauty. Thus I quit learning math, and got a C in 6th grade, then D's and F's after that (in math).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I hate math, school, and most everything about high school. Sitting at a stupid little desk with every person spawned at roughly the same time is an awful experience. I believe that high school is little beyond day care for teen agers. It is provided by the government to allow parents to work during the day and pay taxes. I did not like hearing my teacher drone on about algebra and it was one of my least favorite subjects.

I feel that if you understand or memorize the equations you are basically doing nothing but memorization combined with a slightly varying repeating action over and over. The people that were happy about their A+ or 99% in algebra I always looked at as dumb when I was in school.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hate math, school, and most everything about high school. Sitting at a stupid little desk with every person spawned at roughly the same time is an awful experience. I believe that high school is little beyond day care for teen agers. It is provided by the government to allow parents to work during the day and pay taxes. I did not like hearing my teacher drone on about algebra and it was one of my least favorite subjects.

I felt that if you understand or memorize the equations you are basically doing nothing but memorization combined with a slightly varying repeating action over and over. The people that were happy about their A+ or 99% in algebra I always looked at as dumb when I was in school.
Amen amen.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I like math concepts, and I like seeing people work equations, and I like thinking and talking about it, but I can't do it. I mean I can, as long as it's a logical step-by-step process. (Love algebra and calculus, HATE geometry - except triangles. I like triangles.) I only enjoy it sometimes, though. Math makes my brain hurt.

Similarly with science, I like the concepts and I like talking about it, but I usually can't go too deep within any subject because of the fact that I dislike the math. I love physics and chemistry, but the math kills me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was the opposite way algebra was the most torturous while geometry, trigonometry, and probability and states were..."bearable."

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Loved biology and rather good at it especially human biology, would have loved chemistry, if I were any good at it :sad: I wanted so bad to do the experiments, just not the rest. Would have loved astronomy but they didn't have it at my school, loved abnormal psych. Physics seems boring as hell, just math in science form or the other way around, I'm not sure and I don't care :tongue:. I was good at algebra while geometry bored the pants off me, fractions too, and as for trig, even the first lesson about what sin, cos and tan are went right over my head and even when I repeated the course, I still couldn't get it and probably wouldn't today. *sigh*

·
Registered
817 Posts
Logic is not exclusive to INTP. Neither is maths and science. I was average at both.

Problem solving is more my forte than logic, actually, although the two go hand in hand. But I like to design the logic behind the process of a problem that needs to be solved. If that makes sense.:laughing:
I'm like that too. I'd much rather design my own equation to solve a problem. Back when I had maths classes I would try to figure out certain equations used to solve the problems. It was rare but it felt better seeing the equation I had just devised as the exact one in the textbook, rather than just being force-fed the equation to begin with and proceeding to slug out all the answers.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It was only last year that I started to enjoy Maths. Our teacher is head of the Maths Department in our school and he's really quite fantastic. Instead of making us learn by doing pages and pages of questions (that's just the homework), he forces us to think about the Maths we're doing and work out WHY it works as it does. We have to be able to prove WHY certain rules always apply or why certain formulae work. Before we are taught a new topic in Maths, we're always given some problems from that topic to attempt to solve.

I really enjoy his teaching style. It also helps that he's hilarious.

Science, again, I only enjoy when I'm thinking about new concepts. I don't like doing hundreds of exercises to drum things into our head. If they're interesting enough, we'll remember them!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My strengths are the arts and languages. (Is this normal?)

I fucking. Hate. Math.
When in school, at least. What can I say, I'm lazy. School is work. I hate work.
But finding out stuff outside of school, that's fine. It's fun. It's not being force-fed to me, I get to a la carte.

I hate work.

Ediiiiit:
OH MAN. The 'whys'. I wish people had figured this stuff out sooner. I might have actually put effort in if I had known why I needed to learn this stuff. But, of course, the only answer to "Why do I have to learn this is?" is "Detention." as opposed to "Oh, man, oh man, you can use this to make that thing, you know, that one" "That one?!" "Yeah!" "OH MAN TEACH ME NOW".
Can you tell I forgot my own answer to this.

Reactions: Fiddler and AkiKaza

·
Registered
487 Posts
I like algebra more than just "math", and I think it's because it's more of puzzle and less like a problem. But, I suppose I am good at mth being that I'm in 8th grade and taking a 9th grade course [also in science too]. Ususally though, I like science better, though this year I'm not so sure because I think I'll end up liking algebra more than earth science, being that I like physics and chemistry the most.

Edit: I agree with people. I prefer math ouside of the classroom, so long as it's not boring [like finaces or tips] and I can learn from it. I also don't like the way I used to be taught in 7th grade [but maybe I'll like the 9th grade style more?], as I prefer to just read books and figure how to solve equations on my own as opposed to working in groups or even having other kids around really. There's too much competition in math class for me, so if I get a lower test grade or a lot of problems wrong on homewrok, I feel inadequate.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm speaking to myself, it seems...xD
Well, seems we're better than the world :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm horrible at maths. It's a shame because I can see that it's interesting, I just lack the talent to understand any of it.

I absolutely fascinated by all things scientific! I never did well in at school, which is purely a result of how incredibly poorly it's taught. My high school teachers managed to make it seem incredibly dry, boring, and not in context with anything else. What a waste.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My strengths are also arts and languages. Roliga saker, fun stuff. <3

I despise math in all its forms, and I'm terrible at it.
I don't have too difficult a time with science, but I only put real effort into sciences I'm interested in like zoology, ecology, chemistry, and genetics. Everything else is just painfully boring to me.
Like weather. Oh my God.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts