Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the rest of you go through school with the impression that you were so much more mature than most of the rest of your peers?

I remember even as a child, being generally much more comfortable in the presence of adults than with other children my own age.

I know several of you have mentioned feeling generally "out of place" among your peers. Do you think it mostly has to do with maturity of functions?

I am still exploring this, but I was interested in learning about the experiences of other INFJs.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
In many cases, I was more mature than my own father. But yes, this also gained me in high social ranking with the school's faculty

Hehe, I used to make them dance like puppets, and they didn't even know ~<3

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not only did I often feel older than my peers, but the adults around me often commented that I behaved as though I was much older. I, too, was more comfortable with adults than people my age, especially in elementary and middle school. Things got better in high school, but they seemed to get worse in college, especially during the first two years. I still occasionally feel more comfortable with my profs. than my classmates. At times I get frustrated with the stupid things people around me do and their inability to use any foresight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh yes, I can relate to this; I even looked older than my age. I remember being 13 and being asked by a complete stranger if I was a junior in highschool. Anyway, it was hard for me to get along with others in highschool, yet I was completely fine relating to the teachers.

A good majority of the time if anyone were to comment on me it would of been and still is my maturity...I got it a lot anyway. However, when I was growing up I had to be mature in order to handle the problems my family was going through, and I believe that had more to do with it.

Reactions: vocalist

·
Registered
473 Posts
This has always been a recurring theme in my life. I've heard other INFJ's say they felt that we are born old and grow young. I can definitely see that happening in my case. I'm not growing young in the sense of becoming less mature, but in the sense of being able to see the lighter side of things, to allow myself to simply have fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This has always been a recurring theme in my life. I've heard other INFJ's say they felt that we are born old and grow young. I can definitely see that happening in my case. I'm not growing young in the sense of becoming less mature, but in the sense of being able to see the lighter side of things, to allow myself to simply have fun.
I can definitely relate to this :happy:

I agree, ever since I was young I always felt that I could relate more to adults than children. I felt truly.. different from many of them. But now that I'm technically an adult, and about to start college, I feel the desire to connect more with my peers, that is, "growing young".

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I only started feeling more mature when I entered college, compared to not just people my age but even the teachers and the oldest students. They always showed signs of lack of self-control, not thinking before acting, feeling entitled to having what they wanted from others, etc. It got so awful to the point where I questioned my safety.
Aside from school, I feel like the mature one in my family and often run after my parents. But my siblings in comparison are too much to handle and I tend to just avoid them.

When I was in middle and high school, I just felt people often cared about silly things.. their reputation, what they think they should be doing, etc. rather than enjoying their lives. They made trouble out of garbage and they hurt people in the process. They were the cause of their own self-esteem issues. I also found them to be 'dreamless'... They didn't have to have ambition or career goals, it was more that they cared or were passionate about nothing and just living their life as a role. And because of this, I couldn't really connect with anyone... It was like there was nothing to connect to, inside each person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mm.. I'm 18, and it can be annoying how most of my friends think 'fun' is getting drunk just for the sake of being drunk.. I do enjoy mucking around with them, but when things go too far, I really feel the difference between us. I actually think little kids have a better idea of fun then people my age a lot of the time.. At least they DO something when they want to have fun, instead of just losing all control and sense of self.

·
Registered
440 Posts
in certain areas i am definately infantile.. maybe because i don't accept certain conventionalities that are mindlessly forced onto people so it is more about not caring
but when it comes to approaching professional subjects or the actualy content or pursuit of something
i think the outlook.. emotions.. approaches i am after are definately mature and serious and focused..

·
Banned
167 Posts
Yes at a young age school was a hard place for me. I could not relate to anybody and nobody could relate to me. Because of this I resigned much of my social potential and began to foster my eccentricity. Outside of school, I had great conversations with adults. I remember that most of my cousins would huddle up and talk about their interests and I would sit by the adults, constantly giving my 2 cents. I count myself lucky that I was such a misfit in my age group. None of that when you are older you will understand. I want to understand now!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have been told that I am and yes I do get along with certain adults more than teens. At my last family reunion, while my cousins were playing poker and drinking games, I was talking to my uncle about Buddhism, science and philosophy 0.o The only guys who had a romantic interest in me were also a fair bit older. Before I started receiving these comments I thought it was normal for young people to think a lot about the things I did, but it makes sense from observing why I never knew what to say to them that we are on completely different wavelengths. I thought it was an S/N difference at first but perhaps ENs have a younger energy bc of their social adaptability and upbeat energy. Also INFPs in comparison can exude a childlike charm and wonder with their Ne.

I know there's also an immature side to me though, in my silly moods and regarding lack of emotional detachment and resilience. Some have commented on how I seem more childish than my age when I'm in a cranky mood :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've always felt older than what I am. Even today I feel about 10 years older. In college I had an awful time relating to kids my age. We had nothing in common. I would have rather hung out with the professors if I could have.

Reactions: vocalist

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm not growing young in the sense of becoming less mature, but in the sense of being able to see the lighter side of things, to allow myself to simply have fun.
This is very true for me, too.

A couple of people have mentioned looking much younger than they are (I think there was even a thread about that at one point). Although I have always been credited as behaving as though I'm older, people have always said I look very young. Even now I look about ten years younger than I am. People say I'll appreciate this when I'm 50, but right now it's bothersome to be carded every time I want to buy WhiteOut or a Sharpie. :dry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts