Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are characteristics that make a person mature?
Psychologically, what's the difference between a boy and a man? A girl and a woman?

Are there objective indicators of psychological maturity/immaturity?

Try to explain this to me like I'm 3 please.

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
From my understanding, psychological maturity is about the ability to take on responsibility and taking actions towards this responsibility successfully.
So, in this sense you could be a man mentally inside a boy's body, or the vice versa.
There is no objective indicators, nor should they.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You are an adult as soon as you take into account that bad breath can torture even dogs, and accept that you are just an ordinary terrestrial mammal in the Milky Way galaxy, that you (0) did not exist before your parental (A) production, that you will (B) be dead and continue your existence until you will (0) cease to exist due to the completion of your decomposition; then you will no longer ‘be dead’, and there will be no ‘you’ that can complain about soccer mom web design or non-existence.

Fortunately, I don't have to answer the more demanding questions about production, death and decay of websites.

But I have a question about your signature window, am I right in assuming that colours (#6e00ff in your case) are no longer accepted in it?

Code:
<div class="bbWrapper"><span style="color: #6e00ff"><b><span style="font-family: 'Courier New'"> The true value of personality typing lies not in the framework or the answers it gives, but in the <i>questions</i> it raises and the exploration they prompt. </span></b></span></div>

“A year before her own death in 1982, Anna Freud attempted to explain her father’s late-in-life devotion to dogs. She believed that it was a reflection of his disappointment in people and the “unrelenting brutality and blind lust for destruction” of war. “In these circumstances,” she wrote, “it became easier to look away from one’s fellowmen and turn to animals.”

By his 83rd birthday Freud had steeped himself in the emotional suffering of countless patients, lived through two World Wars, witnessed the persecution of the Jews, and narrowly avoided being sent to a concentration camp with his family. He was also ill with jaw cancer, a painful and advanced case that was, by 1939, inoperable. His jaw was necrotic and Lün began to avoid him. Freud was convinced that the dog was put off by the scent of infection coming from his face. He didn’t blame her. He loved her and took comfort in watching her until he died later that year.

Perhaps it was because his relationship with dogs resisted language, and therefore psychoanalysis, but in his most difficult years Freud found refuge in a species that did not commit atrocities, whose sexual urges, passions, and affections he refused to see as anything but obvious, straightforward, and honest. His decades attempting to untangle people had made him, finally and overwhelmingly, into a dog person.”

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
To be mature is to not always act like a responsable adult but be it when the situation calls for it.

Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maturity for me would be the ability to start something and end it properly, emotionally-wise. No loose ends or room for 100 interpretations or blaming others for your issues, because if you are that type of partner then you just don't have a clue what to do with your life and are projecting your problems.

Of course, you can have failed plans in life, and crisis and stress happens, and that is not abnormal. At least with the person who is closest to you and loves you (your partner) however, try to show some respect by never allowing them to doubt your intentions towards them when it comes to important plans together or affection, because if you do, you have a problem, you lack a foundation.

4 you said? If you have a toy and you want to give it to your partner, then don't do so secretly expecting to receive it back in terms only known by you. Know what gestures mean to both of you and how they are translatable, make sure you're speaking the same language or have the intention to, at least, and are moving towards it.

Furthermore, maturity is understanding the notions of time and space. When do they help you or your significant other, how do you both use them, for what purpose? Hey, it's fine to lose it and to want to relax too! No wrong answer here.

Maturity for me is... wanting to know more about life, and believing in/standing for good values, because I see messing around as petty, but I also understand that to some it's necessary for personal growth, sometimes I also feel like messing with people and getting satisfaction out of it... pretending you're innocent but clearly knowing where to push their buttons, and doing it because you secretly think they're outrageous, and you want the person to express themselves to see what shape they manifest in self-defense ^^.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,896 Posts
What are characteristics that make a person mature?
Psychologically, what's the difference between a boy and a man? A girl and a woman?

Are there objective indicators of psychological maturity/immaturity?

Try to explain this to me like I'm 3 please.
I don't think I could explain it to a 3 year old.

As far as I know, maturity is the ability to learn and grow and treat others as you would have them treat you. Someone who knows they will make mistakes, admit to them, and attempts to make things right. Someone who treats other with dignity, keeps their word, and does not seek to blame others for their shortcomings. Someone who stands by others when they need it and shows sympathy, empathy, and compassion, wherever and whenever possible. Mature people seek balance in all things.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Maturity and immaturity is both an illusion and a social construct simply built around projections of society's expectations and individual desires on someone else. Antonyms are intrinsically linked to each other and cannot be defined without the backdrop of one of them being defined first (but then which one? and how can it be freed from perceptual bias in the first place?).

Honestly, I've seen a lot of people make conceptual mistakes by over-looking their own definitions of maturity, and then applying that to immaturity as a matter of convenience or a shift in perspective based on experience rather than ideological consistency.

I've rarely seen definitions consistently applied and the words are more often than not tossed out as adjectives for likeability or dislikeability built upon ones own biases rather than objectively defined traits

Ever wonder why one person would consider someone immature and another person won't? Ever seen a full on consensus on what immaturity and maturity are? Not me. Ding ding ding. It's because it doesn't objectively exist.

Everyone trying to define either is just projecting their reality, including myself (and yes, I admit that what I've described above is a problem with subjective language as a whole because hardly anything can actually be objectively defined in the first place)

·
King of Seduction
7,164 Posts
If you were 3 I wouldn't explain shit to you unless you were one of those weird Einstein babies or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts