Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first test (humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp) that I took said that I was ENTJ. Then my boyfriend suggested me to take another test (mypersonality.info/), and it said I was INTP. Lastly, I took the test this forum links to, and I also suggested that I was ENTJ.

I couldn't really get any of them to match perfectly, and especially the who "leader" thing as an ENTJ could not be more off from what I am.
I tried to pick a middle thing, namely ENTP (I know I'm not an INTJ), read about it, and didn't feel that it was any more right or off than the others.
At a point, I reached to some kind of conclusion, that I once was an INTP when I was younger, but now was a ENTP.

I slept on it, and tried again. This time, being frustrated not knowing witch one I was, I decided to count every time I strongly agreed or disagreed with the descriptions of 3 sites. This way I found out that I mostly agreed with INTP, and very strongly disagreed with ENTJ - the type that two quizzes gave me as a result.
So this way I could get it out of my way, and make a decision. Although its not bulletproof in anyway at all, since some of the text was shorter on one of the types than the others, and therefor couldn't really get as many potential points than the others.
INTP won with 49 "strongly agreements" and 3 "strongly disagreements", ENTP got 41 agrees, 3 disagrees, and ENTJ only got 30 agrees and 12 disagrees.

I could just settle with INTP, that would obviously be the easiest way.
It all this really just made me think, now that I can relate a bit from more than just one type over another, how can you truly determine what you are?
And it also made me realize, that maybe there are some things that I am naturally, but there are also things that I subconsciously isn't is for real, but I just wish I was.
I also believe that its not impossible to change behavior and personality type, if you really set your mind to it. And then how can you be sure about your personality type, that if you're not obviously trying to change yourself, maybe you are subconsciously..?
(I'm sorry if you don't really follow me here, I'm tired and should really get off to bed instead of sitting here ;) )

Im not really sure what to ask... Yeah, maybe how I can completely certain of what type I am in some way (I don't know what you guys want to know about me to have a guess, but if you ask what you think is relevant questions for this matter, I wouldn't mind to answer :) ), why are the quizzes more wrong than they are right, but also something to debate/think about, when it comes to this kind of labeling thing...

It feels a bit like personality split when you realize that you fit two or more personalities at the same time, and at the same time doesn't feel usefull or very specific at all to know your type, if its actually possible to change it if you really want to.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Personality theory is more about how your brain works but a lot of the quizzes or stereotypical descriptions look at your behaviour or how you see yourself so they can get things wrong.

Have you looked at function theory?

There is other info about the functions under the orange and red letters on these pages:
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
16 Personality Types MBTI Characteristics

Or this is a good page: http://www.personalitycafe.com/myer...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

I tend to think you can mostly change your behaviour but not your personality type. I guess what functions do you think you use the most? If I were to guess you sound like a Ti user, so I'd think you were more TP than TJ.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personality theory is more about how your brain works but a lot of the quizzes or stereotypical descriptions look at your behaviour or how you see yourself so they can get things wrong.

Have you looked at function theory?

There is other info about the functions under the orange and red letters on these pages:
Thx... Although you didn't really need to spell it out like that... Under the orange/red letter? Yeah, text... I know how it works, and how to read an article ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lol. Sorry. I guess when I first went to that second page I just saw boring text and cartoon characters that I didn't scroll down that page. I guess I didn't have any Ne to use:p

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There's also some other things to keep in mind. A big problem for me, was accidentally typing modes; effectively typing separate pieces of myself. With INTP, ENTJ is actually the shadow mode or vice versa. Unfortunately, little has been disclosed in what drives the engagement of the shadow mode. Then you would have the grip mode, brought on by great personal stress and revolving around your inferior function, which would be ESFJ for the INTP. There's a book called Was That Really Me?, that discusses it in depth. Then there's the secondary temperament child revolving around your tertiary and inferior functions, which would be SJ for the INTP.

Here's a link to some stuff about shadow mode.

Here's a list of negative ESFJ traits, that an INTP should relate to, when they've been severely stressed.

* May be unable to correctly judge what really is for the best
* May become spiteful and extremely intractable in the face of clear logical reasoning.
* May be unable to shrug off feelings that others are not “good people”.
* May be unable to acknowledge anything that goes against their certainty about the “correct” or “right” way to do things
* May attribute their own problems to arbitrary and unprovable notions about the way people “ought” to behave.
* May be at a loss when confronted with situations that require basic technical expertise or clear thinking.
* May be oblivious to all but their own viewpoint, valuing their own certainties to the exclusion of others.
* May be unable to understand verbal logic, and quickly cut off other’s explanations
* May be falsely certain of the true needs and feelings of others.
* May be extremely vulnerable to superstitions, religious cults and media manipulation.
* May react too quickly and too emotionally in a situation better dealt with in a more pragmatic fashion.

And, finally, some personal methods I've found somewhat useful for separating Te and Ti.

*Ti users often argue/debate for clarity in their Ti judgments. They want the absolute depth of truth. At times, they can sound like they're trying to convince themselves, as much as the other party, because, in a way, they are.
*Te users argue/debate to show you where you're wrong, no other two ways about it. It's the other parties burden to disprove that, and, generally speaking, good luck doing so.
*I've observed it's not uncommon for Te users to clash with Fe users, and noticeably so. Theoretically, Ti users should have the same issue with Fi users. It revolves around one exerting the energies of the opposing inferior.
*If you feel the need to debate things to semantics, are excessively pedantic, and have a tendency to point out where someone meant y, but said x, you're probably a Ti user.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts