Personality Cafe banner

What do you think of MBTI+9?

• It's interesting, I like it

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It's okay, I want more evidence

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • It smells fishy, and I avoid anything that leaves a bad taste

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Where did you get the information for MBTI+9?

Votes: 1 8.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MBTI+9 refers to expanding the current MBTI system to also include the three somatotypes, with the three representational systems (sight, hearing, tasting+touching+smelling).

This gives nine sub-types in personality (3x3), which ties with the nine Enneagram types, so there might be a certain connection.

Somatotypes:
Somatotype and constitutional psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Representational systems:
Representational systems (NLP) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Page 15, First Earth Battalion Manual (PDF)

Three somatotypes include (information partly taken from Wikipedia):

1. Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; usually referred to as slim. Ectomorphs are not predisposed to store fat nor build muscle.

Ectomorphs tend to keep to oneself or family, quiet and shy.​

1. Mesomorphic: characterized by medium bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist; usually referred to as muscular. Mesomorphs are predisposed to build muscle but not store fat.

Mesomorphs tend to be adventurous and energetic.​

1. Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure, usually referred to as fat, or chunky. Endomorphs are predisposed to storing fat.

Endomorphs tend to appear jovial, who enjoy others' company.

Representational systems include:

1. Sight: Talks high and fast, breaths high, higher body RPM; tends to look up, or up-and-right when talking
  2. Auditory, reading, and words: breaths at a mid-body level, talks level and even, average body RPM; tends to look side-to-side, or down-and-left when having a conversation
  3. Smell, taste, touch: breaths at a lower-body level, talks low and slow, lower body RPM; tends to look down-and-right when talking
With this information, we derive nine other sub-types in personality:

1. Ectomorphic, sight
  2. Ectomorphic, auditory
  3. Ectomorphic, smell-taste-touch
  4. Mesomorphic, sight
  5. Mesomorphic, auditory
  6. Mesomorphic, smell-taste-touch
  7. Endomorphic, sight
  8. Endomorphic, auditory
  9. Endomorphic, smell-taste-touch
So, for example, we might have somone who is ENTP-mesomorphic-sight ("ENTPm-s"). Or, INTJ, ectomorphic, smell-taste-touch ("INTJec-t"). A third example is ISTP, endomorphic, auditory ("ISTPen-a").

What do you guys think? Thank you.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would anybody like to respond? If not, I might request this be moved to MBTI sub-forum to get more exposure.

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
It isn't the same as the enneagram, but those are things that do effect behaviour. They are simply separate things that add to how unique we all are...you could add to that height for example, as someone who is very tall would more likely behave differently to someone who is very small. I would also recommend looking into the different learning styles.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What benefit does combining the systems have over approaching them separately?
The benefit is similar to grouping extroversion and introversion, with intuition and sensing, or thinking and feeling.

It isn't the same as the enneagram, but those are things that do effect behaviour. They are simply separate things that add to how unique we all are...you could add to that height for example, as someone who is very tall would more likely behave differently to someone who is very small. I would also recommend looking into the different learning styles.
I have heard that taller people are in general, more intelligent than shorter people. As for learning styles, the MBTI with the representational system offer clear models of what motivate people, or how people can better succeed by knowing and using their strengths.

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
I have heard that taller people are in general, more intelligent than shorter people.
No. Your body type does not have an impact on your intelligence. It may effect areas of behaviour, and how we view ourselves and others, but we can choose to overcome that.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Your body type does not have an impact on your intelligence. It may effect areas of behaviour, and how we view ourselves and others, but we can choose to overcome that.
If the cause of a shorter height is genetic, and not nutrition, then there is likely to be no detriment to that person's intelligence. Lack of nutrition does decrease intelligence, and contributes to a shorter height.

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
If the cause of a shorter height is genetic, and not nutrition, then there is likely to be no detriment to that person's intelligence. Lack of nutrition does decrease intelligence, and contributes to a shorter height.
That makes a lot more sense. Yes, lacking nutrition over a long period of time while growing up can effect both height and intelligence of a person...thus this cannot be assigned as a generalization for any personality type.

Reactions: Bluity

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
@Sparky

Ectomorphic, auditory 6 ft tall athletic - ENFP (most likely) however I'm a social introvert, cautious and think before I act. Cognitively I seem to be Ne dom, Fi aux.

I used to be able to eat all I wanted ^^; couldn't get fat. Its still slower then for other people but happens, nowadays I do strength training thou.

Idk if this will be important, but I'm type 6 middle of the thinking triad and have immense levels of mind related energy to use up in thinking. My mind is usually very active and its difficult for me to shut down mentally without experiencing discomfort / boredom.

What benefit does combining the systems have over approaching them separately?
MBTI for example is just one pixel in the 1080p complete image of who you are and what makes you you, if you add more and more pixels the image becomes clearer. Big5 is another one, enneagram another and so on. You get the full image only if you manage to combine all the pixels :p.

What makes one ENFP be completely different from another for example? That is the whole idea, people are extremely complex, looking at it through the lense of just one system is very limited.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
@Sparky

Ectomorphic, auditory 6 ft tall athletic - ENFP (most likely) however I'm a social introvert, cautious and think before I act. Cognitively I seem to be Ne dom, Fi aux.

I used to be able to eat all I wanted ^^; couldn't get fat. Its still slower then for other people but happens, nowadays I do strength training thou.

Idk if this will be important, but I'm type 6 middle of the thinking triad and have immense levels of mind related energy to use up in thinking. My mind is usually very active and its difficult for me to shut down mentally without experiencing discomfort / boredom.

MBTI for example is just one pixel in the 1080p complete image of who you are and what makes you you, if you add more and more pixels the image becomes clearer. Big5 is another one, enneagram another and so on. You get the full image only if you manage to combine all the pixels :p.

What makes one ENFP be completely different from another for example? That is the whole idea, people are extremely complex, looking at it through the lense of just one system is very limited.
Sorry, I should have said combining *these* systems.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would anybody else like to comment?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't think they go well together. It just makes it more complicated for someone just getting into MBTI, plus I don't really see the point. I don't even like the body type thing on it's own, unless I'm mistaken and there is more than 3 types.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I'd be a mesomorphic auditory INFP then. I think if you combined this with the learning styles it might be cool enough to add. It's just MBTI/enneagram/Big5 all add much more depth than this. This is interesting stuff and should be learned I think but it's just not as important as more critical personality assessments.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd be a mesomorphic auditory INFP then. I think if you combined this with the learning styles it might be cool enough to add. It's just MBTI/enneagram/Big5 all add much more depth than this. This is interesting stuff and should be learned I think but it's just not as important as more critical personality assessments.
Learning someone is mesomorphic-auditory tells more about that person, than giving him a number, as in Enneagram, or labeling him as neurotic, as in Big 5. I can at least get a sense of how the person behaves in real life, and with the MBTI, it becomes even more useful.

I am unsure what you mean by learning styles, because MBTI and representational systems are tools to help people learn.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Learning someone is mesomorphic-auditory tells more about that person, than giving him a number, as in Enneagram, or labeling him as neurotic, as in Big 5. I can at least get a sense of how the person behaves in real life, and with the MBTI, it becomes even more useful.

I am unsure what you mean by learning styles, because MBTI and representational systems are tools to help people learn.
Some people learn best through action. Some people learn best through visual stimulation. Some people learn best through auditory stimulation. Some people can get a lot of information out of a book but others can't because they don't learn that way.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I see no evidence to support somatotype. The very page you cite states that "Modern scientists, however, generally (with occasional exceptions) dismiss his claims as outdated, if not outright quackery."

I also don't see the point in representational systems. MBTI describes a person's way of thinking. The representational styles describe...the way a person talks and breaths? I don't see the relevance.

Also, I see no reason that the 3x3 has anything to do with the Enneagram other than having a Nine in it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see no evidence to support somatotype. The very page you cite states that "Modern scientists, however, generally (with occasional exceptions) dismiss his claims as outdated, if not outright quackery."

I also don't see the point in representational systems. MBTI describes a person's way of thinking. The representational styles describe...the way a person talks and breaths? I don't see the relevance.

Also, I see no reason that the 3x3 has anything to do with the Enneagram other than having a Nine in it.
Stelliferous gave an excellent explanation of the relevance of representational systems:

Some people learn best through action. Some people learn best through visual stimulation. Some people learn best through auditory stimulation. Some people can get a lot of information out of a book but others can't because they don't learn that way.
Somatotypes theory is not entirely dismissed, even though it is not scientifically pursued. You will just have to take from personal experience in observing people, in order to form your own conclusions about body types, and their relationships to a person's demeanor.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts

I think it comes down to trying to paint a picture of somebody and how they act in your head. 3x3 explains how people act as does MBTI/enneagram. I have noticed that different body types do behave differently because a large part of life is using your body. I would say somebody's body fat level would be a critical piece of somebody's personality too because fatter people tend to stay away from physical things for the most part. But that is a touchy subject because of insecurities. Generally it is seen as lower body fat is positive and more is negative. But that is just a social thing.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any more responses?

In terms of showing affection, do people who prefer seeing or imagery, like to snuggle? I get the impression that people who prefer smelling or tasting like kissing and touching with hands, while those who prefer auditory like to bump heads and get vocal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts