Personality Cafe banner

What do you think of MBTI+9?

• It's interesting, I like it

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It's okay, I want more evidence

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • It smells fishy, and I avoid anything that leaves a bad taste

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Where did you get the information for MBTI+9?

Votes: 1 8.3%
8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Sparky 
#1 ·
MBTI+9 refers to expanding the current MBTI system to also include the three somatotypes, with the three representational systems (sight, hearing, tasting+touching+smelling).

This gives nine sub-types in personality (3x3), which ties with the nine Enneagram types, so there might be a certain connection.

Somatotypes:
Somatotype and constitutional psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Representational systems:
Representational systems (NLP) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Page 15, First Earth Battalion Manual (PDF)

Three somatotypes include (information partly taken from Wikipedia):

1. Ectomorphic: characterized by long and thin muscles/limbs and low fat storage; usually referred to as slim. Ectomorphs are not predisposed to store fat nor build muscle.

Ectomorphs tend to keep to oneself or family, quiet and shy.​

1. Mesomorphic: characterized by medium bones, solid torso, low fat levels, wide shoulders with a narrow waist; usually referred to as muscular. Mesomorphs are predisposed to build muscle but not store fat.

Mesomorphs tend to be adventurous and energetic.​

1. Endomorphic: characterized by increased fat storage, a wide waist and a large bone structure, usually referred to as fat, or chunky. Endomorphs are predisposed to storing fat.

Endomorphs tend to appear jovial, who enjoy others' company.

Representational systems include:

1. Sight: Talks high and fast, breaths high, higher body RPM; tends to look up, or up-and-right when talking
  2. Auditory, reading, and words: breaths at a mid-body level, talks level and even, average body RPM; tends to look side-to-side, or down-and-left when having a conversation
  3. Smell, taste, touch: breaths at a lower-body level, talks low and slow, lower body RPM; tends to look down-and-right when talking

With this information, we derive nine other sub-types in personality:

1. Ectomorphic, sight
  2. Ectomorphic, auditory
  3. Ectomorphic, smell-taste-touch
  4. Mesomorphic, sight
  5. Mesomorphic, auditory
  6. Mesomorphic, smell-taste-touch
  7. Endomorphic, sight
  8. Endomorphic, auditory
  9. Endomorphic, smell-taste-touch

So, for example, we might have somone who is ENTP-mesomorphic-sight ("ENTPm-s"). Or, INTJ, ectomorphic, smell-taste-touch ("INTJec-t"). A third example is ISTP, endomorphic, auditory ("ISTPen-a").

What do you guys think? Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Would anybody like to respond? If not, I might request this be moved to MBTI sub-forum to get more exposure.

#5 ·
The benefit is similar to grouping extroversion and introversion, with intuition and sensing, or thinking and feeling.

It isn't the same as the enneagram, but those are things that do effect behaviour. They are simply separate things that add to how unique we all are...you could add to that height for example, as someone who is very tall would more likely behave differently to someone who is very small. I would also recommend looking into the different learning styles.
I have heard that taller people are in general, more intelligent than shorter people. As for learning styles, the MBTI with the representational system offer clear models of what motivate people, or how people can better succeed by knowing and using their strengths.

#4 ·
It isn't the same as the enneagram, but those are things that do effect behaviour. They are simply separate things that add to how unique we all are...you could add to that height for example, as someone who is very tall would more likely behave differently to someone who is very small. I would also recommend looking into the different learning styles.

#12 ·
#14 ·
I'd be a mesomorphic auditory INFP then. I think if you combined this with the learning styles it might be cool enough to add. It's just MBTI/enneagram/Big5 all add much more depth than this. This is interesting stuff and should be learned I think but it's just not as important as more critical personality assessments.

#15 ·
Learning someone is mesomorphic-auditory tells more about that person, than giving him a number, as in Enneagram, or labeling him as neurotic, as in Big 5. I can at least get a sense of how the person behaves in real life, and with the MBTI, it becomes even more useful.

I am unsure what you mean by learning styles, because MBTI and representational systems are tools to help people learn.

#17 ·
I see no evidence to support somatotype. The very page you cite states that "Modern scientists, however, generally (with occasional exceptions) dismiss his claims as outdated, if not outright quackery."

I also don't see the point in representational systems. MBTI describes a person's way of thinking. The representational styles describe...the way a person talks and breaths? I don't see the relevance.

Also, I see no reason that the 3x3 has anything to do with the Enneagram other than having a Nine in it.

#18 ·
Stelliferous gave an excellent explanation of the relevance of representational systems:

Some people learn best through action. Some people learn best through visual stimulation. Some people learn best through auditory stimulation. Some people can get a lot of information out of a book but others can't because they don't learn that way.
Somatotypes theory is not entirely dismissed, even though it is not scientifically pursued. You will just have to take from personal experience in observing people, in order to form your own conclusions about body types, and their relationships to a person's demeanor.

#20 ·
Any more responses?

In terms of showing affection, do people who prefer seeing or imagery, like to snuggle? I get the impression that people who prefer smelling or tasting like kissing and touching with hands, while those who prefer auditory like to bump heads and get vocal.

#21 ·
Mesomorphic auditory, ISFJ - body wise. Personality wise I would be the ectomorph. Auditory breathing and talking looking-wise. I have a rather low voice and tend speak so fast my articulation is shit. I like tasting things and touching things. But my favorite sense of all is seeing.

#22 ·
How intersting!!! I'm glad u shared this info! :) I never heard of this MBTI+9 till now :D But i knew for a longer time about body types and their relation to one's personality. I find that accurate & meaningful info, which help me get to know more about myself.

Sure, i think this MBTI+9 is more for those who have advanced knowledge in common MBTI & Enneagram. But i do like this new info - so, cosidering this, i am an "INFJec-a".

#23 ·
Hi Lorena, you are very welcome, and I am glad you find this information helpful.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.