Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new here, ore this is my first post, have been a lurker for a while. I´m 32 years old, from sweden.
I have a question about cbt (cognitive behaviour therapy).

(realy long story,short) I have been struggeling whit social anxsiety since 6 years back (ore moore), and three years ago I moved to a new town to start fixing my problems... I was given the choise to have cbt treatment and i did that for about only 3 mounths. As usual I had to do it to the maximum. I realy wanted it to work, so I could become normal, and start to live like everyone else. It really changed me, for the better and woorse. I retreated from almost everything in my life. shut down all my online accounts, myspace, facebook and cut off all fake friends, and gave up on my extrovert-wannabee-lifestyle. My anxiety let go..

But I felt so srange... It was too fast and I didnt know what was going on. People reacted differently to me and at times I thougt I was loosing my mind. I had zero tools for life to work. So I looked up another cbt therapist, and while waiting for my sessions to start ( about 3 months) I by chance came across mbti and whao! How strange to find out that there were others like me... It realy changed alot for me. Like finding not only another peace to the puzzle, but the hole outer frame and the box whit the picture on it, almost. . I couldent have thougt in my most crazy dreeam this could exist, and the perfect timing too.
Anyway I went to the cbt therapist and he was defenetly diffrent. He told me I was depressed and that I had been put through too hard treatment by the earlier therapist. I wasnt sure what to beleeve anymoore...hoowever I decided to stick to my new cbt guy. Bit by bit he got me out of my "control freak-mode" The thing is I dident want to change to become someone else... ore something strange... but at the same time i needed to be moore open and to build some new tools and get thicker skin. Now six months later I feel alot different. Sometimes I miss the old dramatic-version of myself... but it feels like i had to give something to get somethig. I sold my soul to the cbt guy I guess.

Now to my Q: Can you change your mbti profile by cbt?
Í´m still doing cbt, but I have been holding back alot , and resisting progress, because I have a hard time leaving my ideals behind... even the ones that do me no good...
To me it seems I am still INFJ, just a bit changed inside the INFJ frame.

Hope this wasent a to long text. I am happy for any reply on this subject:happy:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think a person can change his/her basic personality however one can be in life situations which will force other types of reactions to input than the basic personality. That is my idea of this.

·
Super Moderator
12,037 Posts
What does your gut tell you?

I'm not an expert by any means, just my gut said to ask this of you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
so i think mbti is mostly our tendencies to do certain things. the majority of the time we act along our tendencies. ie, im an introvert, so the majority of the time ill choose to stay in rather than go to a party. however, sometimes ill just act against type and do whatever. this tends to happen a lot if we are stressed or under pressure - we'll just go in the opposite direction from the norm.

personal question, but are you on any meds? because i know sometimes that it can change how we act. im on a low dose of medicine for anxiety, and i know it brings me down a notch. and i need that, because otherwise im firing on all cyclinders and cant sleep.

ive never had cbt, so i dont know how it would affect our mbti type. my guess is that certainly its treating your social anxiety... so it is helpful, regardless of how it affects mbti.

also, your post raises a larger question of how mental health issues work with mbti - which im not sure *anyone* has been able to answer. like if you're bipolar, or manic depressive, do you have a myers briggs type? how is it expressed? so i dont know. i dont think i have an answer.

cbt to me has always *seemed* to be fairly safe, and certainly reversible right? so i would think your underlying myers briggs tendencies would still be there. maybe?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Welcome to PerC! Please join our Scandinavian group... :happy:

I'm no expert on cbt nor mbti, but my understanding about mbti is that you do not change your type unless you take medication sustain a head injury or in any other way chemically or physically alter your brain functions.

I can certainly understand your confusion about your true personality after what you have been through... Now I would worry about loosing yourself in the process. Rather I think this is the natural feeling when going through the process of discovering new aspects of yourself, which you are doing when letting your guard down, changing environment and going through therapy. You are the richer for it.

And for an INFJ, there's plenty do uncover in your personality, and several layers of masks to relate to.

Keep it going! Your on the right path!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

QUOTE]
My gut tells me Im on the right track, my life is starting to feel interesting again. As far as changeing mbti type by cbt, I think not possible. This is becouse the few people hwo knows "the real me" dont seem to see me as a new person now, but the ones that thought they knew me (frends to frends etc) are moore confused. It just seemed to change my "covering up" myself.

sarahWilliams: No meds. I tryed that some yars ago, for my anxiety, did not help at all. I dint want to take anything while doing cbt, to make sure any progress wasent because of the pills.

Penchant: Tanx! I acctualy was aware this first cbt guy was kindof fooling me, but I so much wanted to beeleve him to get rid of my anxiety.Now,If there is one thing I wont loose again its my alarm clock..

·
Super Moderator
12,037 Posts

QUOTE]
My gut tells me Im on the right track, my life is starting to feel interesting again. As far as changeing mbti type by cbt, I think not possible. This is becouse the few people hwo knows "the real me" dont seem to see me as a new person now, but the ones that thought they knew me (frends to frends etc) are moore confused. It just seemed to change my "covering up" myself.
The new you is a STRONGER YOU! :happy:

Reactions: Susanna and bumble

·
Registered
930 Posts
I retreated from almost everything in my life. shut down all my online accounts, myspace, facebook and cut off all fake friends, and gave up on my extrovert-wannabee-lifestyle. My anxiety let go..
When stressed or anxieties get the best of me, I too retreat and pretty much distance myself from a lot of my on-line contacts like facebook & things like that. An instant way to free up myself to focus on other things! As far as CBT & therapy, I have done my share and I find that it usually takes a while from the time I gather knowledge to when I can really see it working in myself and my everyday life. Sometimes it's been as long as a few years later that I saw the progress from the time I learned something to when I could really see a real change in my everyday life. It is my understanding that this is pretty normal, as it takes a while to change a person's thinking/ defense mechanisms/ coping skills, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, R22. Yes that is so true. When I am at home I dont see so much of a difference, but when out in social situations its suddenly is so obvius something is different.

Did you feel that you could trust the cbt therapist?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi Bumble- the CBT I read & learned about on my own, the therapy that I did was EMDR (which is supposed to help with early childhood stuff/ trauma). The therapist was okay, she was kind and validating and it was what I neded at the time. So yeah, I felt trusting of her.

Yes, I notice those changes too, especially when I find myself in a similar situation as one that I may have been in in the past, and I find myself thinking or reacting differently than I would have before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts