Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you? (ENFJ's only)

• Conservative Protestant

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Moderate Protestant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Liberal Protestant

• Conservative Catholic

• Moderate Catholic

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Liberal Catholic

• Conservative Eastern Orthodox

• Moderate Eastern Orthodox

• Liberal Eastern Orthodox

• Conservative Other

• Moderate Other

• Liberal Other

• I do not consider myself a Christian

Votes: 11 55.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ENFJ's! How many of you identify as Christian? If you do, what broad-base denomination do you belong to and how liberal or conservative do you consider yourself? Any answers help, even if you aren't a Christian.

Conservative Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a belief in the inerrancy or near-inerrancy of the Bible, a generally literal reading of the Bible, and a belief that the death and resurrection of Jesus is the one way to salvation. There is much overlap here with Christian fundamentalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a generally non-literal reading of the Bible, consideration of the Bible as a text essentially by man about God, and a belief in the non-exclusivity of Christianity as truth. Here is the wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_christianity

If you think one of the above describes your beliefs in essence, select it. If not, select moderate.

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible. Also, this may be a fool's hope, but I'd prefer to keep this thread free of religious debate. I'm simply gathering data here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I voted....I am "the moderate other". Sounds like a good name for a horror film.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I vote non, christian, i am an apatheist, don't know or care if god exists

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
I didn't agree wholly with the description of liberal Christian but I didn't know what else to choose.
Basically I am a non-denominational Christian who believes that there is only one God and that Jesus Christ is the savior. I believe that the bible is God's manual for life. So as long as other churches believe that too then I'd be in agreement with them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I didn't agree wholly with the description of liberal Christian but I didn't know what else to choose.
Basically I am a non-denominational Christian who believes that there is only one God and that Jesus Christ is the savior. I believe that the bible is God's manual for life. So as long as other churches believe that too then I'd be in agreement with them.
you just defined conservative protestantism :tongue: just saying xD

·
Registered
292 Posts
I only believe in people.

I believe there is good in every human being and I don't need any god to know that. I only need trust for that.

Does believing in god make some people happier? Great! I respect every single religion just because of that. The only meaning of life is happiness. Where you get that happiness from doesn't matter, as long as you don't make other people unhappy with your happiness.

Respect is my only take on religion.

·
Registered
572 Posts
After a few years of debating with myself, I now consider myself an apatheist. God may or may not exist. I don't really care. I don't let it affect my life. I'm much more interested in people--helping people, building relationships with people. I think that's what's most important in life.

I am still pretty involved with the Christian community at my college, though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I voted....I am "the moderate other". Sounds like a good name for a horror film.
the weird thing is there is no moderate other! ur either catholic or orthodox and if ur neither ur a protestant!

Amazing how many apatheist people are there ... apatheist means that even if there is really a God or not you would not be affected such that even if God really exists could be proved to you, you would not change your lives.

At this point I would like you all to consider Pascal's wager or Pascal's gambit.

It is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher Blaise Pascal that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

There are four choices in the wager:
a) God does not exist and one does not believe in Him
b) God does not exist and one believes in Him
c) God exists and one does not believe in Him
d) God exists and one believes in Him

For Choice A and B, whether one believes or does not believe since God does not exist it makes no difference. When you die, it will be over.

For Choice C, God exists and one doesn’t believe in him. This can only lead to his wrath/displeasure or indifference. Again you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Choice D is the only one where you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Isnt it only logical and indeed beneficial for you to go with choice D?

I'm just posing this as a question to find out if it makes sense (there is nothing that can offend anyone in this message and if you are offended somehow please do message me as to how?!) I;m trying to appeal to logic and not to inspire a religion glorifying or bashing place! If anyone does feel like I'm trying to do so let me assure you I'm not trying to :crazy:

·
Registered
572 Posts

the weird thing is there is no moderate other! ur either catholic or orthodox and if ur neither ur a protestant!

Amazing how many apatheist people are there ... apatheist means that even if there is really a God or not you would not be affected such that even if God really exists could be proved to you, you would not change your lives.

At this point I would like you all to consider Pascal's wager or Pascal's gambit.

It is a suggestion posed by the French philosopher Blaise Pascal that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, a person should wager as though God exists, because living life accordingly has everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

There are four choices in the wager:
a) God does not exist and one does not believe in Him
b) God does not exist and one believes in Him
c) God exists and one does not believe in Him
d) God exists and one believes in Him

For Choice A and B, whether one believes or does not believe since God does not exist it makes no difference. When you die, it will be over.

For Choice C, God exists and one doesn’t believe in him. This can only lead to his wrath/displeasure or indifference. Again you have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Choice D is the only one where you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Isnt it only logical and indeed beneficial for you to go with choice D?

I'm just posing this as a question to find out if it makes sense (there is nothing that can offend anyone in this message and if you are offended somehow please do message me as to how?!) I;m trying to appeal to logic and not to inspire a religion glorifying or bashing place! If anyone does feel like I'm trying to do so let me assure you I'm not trying to :crazy:

There are several problems with Pascal's Wager, but I'll just list a few: 1) You can't make yourself believe in God; you don't really have control over what you believe 2) What God should I bet on? 3) It seems wrong that God would reward those who bet on Him simply for the sake of trying to receive eternal bliss.

I actually studied Pascal's wager in a philosophy of religion class so I can actually give counterarguments to the arguments I presented above, but I just wanted to throw those out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts