Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you? (ESFJ's only)

• Conservative Protestant

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Moderate Protestant

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Liberal Protestant

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Conservative Catholic

• Moderate Catholic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Liberal Catholic

• Conservative Eastern Orthodox

• Moderate Eastern Orthodox

• Liberal Eastern Orthodox

• Conservative Other

• Moderate Other

• Liberal Other

• I do not consider myself a Christian

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ESFJ's! How many of you identify as Christian? If you do, what broad-base denomination do you belong to and how liberal or conservative do you consider yourself? Any answers help, even if you aren't a Christian.

Conservative Christianity, broadly speaking, is a belief in the inerrancy or near-inerrancy of the Bible, a generally literal reading of the Bible, and a belief that the death and resurrection of Jesus is the one way to salvation. There is much overlap here with Christian fundamentalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a generally non-literal reading of the Bible, consideration of the Bible as a text essentially by man about God, and a belief in the non-exclusivity of Christianity as truth. Here is the wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_christianity

If you think one of the above describes your beliefs in essence, select it. If not, select moderate.

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible. Also, this may be a fool's hope, but I'd prefer to keep this thread free of religious debate. I'm simply gathering data here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Honestly I've never considered "liberal Christians" actually Christians. To me, being a Christian means that you understand and agree with the doctrine [the Bible] of Christianity. It's like saying I'm a "liberal Muslim" but I've never really read the Koran, or if you have you disagree with most of it.... what?

Liberal Christians I often call Deists, or those that believe in theism. But here I'm getting technical. =P

I guess I should say that I would consider myself in your "Conservative Christian" group. Many people would call me "old-fashioned" in my morality system, as I don't date unless I'm serious about the guy and it's headed toward marriage, and I'm saving my purity for marriage, etc. A lot of people have called me "one of a kind" so I probably fall in your most conservative group.

So yeah... hope that helps some. =)

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
Moderate Eastern Orthodox, by choice.

I selected moderate because I feel that the relationship between God and someone is personal. Trying to force a set of ethos on someone is not how you show God's love for his people. It's not that I don't care about other people, but you can't "make" people into whatever religion you believe in. Only the willing need apply :proud:

-ZDD

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was raised in a Catholic family, I mean my mother is a Catholic and my father wasn't but, church and all.

I think after about the age of 12 I became lightly and then more and more firmly convinced that, if there is a God or something, it was so beyond I and everyone else's comprehension that I couldn't really be religious. I also feel that if their is a God, any God I believe in wouldn't just arbitrarily send people to hell if they were good people but didn't take his/her wishy washy smoke signal signs too seriously. How could you hold it against people? If it were that clear, God could make it clear with a bulletin in the New York Times

·
Registered
41 Posts
Liberal Christian. The God I believe in made us complicated, opinionated, stubborn, and with the ability to make educated decisions. I refuse to believe that there is only one true way to heaven, and that way is through such and such faith. There are too many factions just due to a difference of interpretation of the Bible or whatever religious text.

My thoughts. :)

Reactions: Liontiger

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I no longer consider myself Christian, but growing up I was a Liberal Catholic. I accepted the idea that Catholicism is not the only truth, that the Bible was culturally influenced, and that a literal interpretation of the Bible is inappropriate for a modern context.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts