Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you? (ESTJ's only)

• Conservative Protestant

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Moderate Protestant

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Liberal Protestant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conservative Catholic

• Moderate Catholic

• Liberal Catholic

• Conservative Eastern Orthodox

• Moderate Eastern Orthodox

• Liberal Eastern Orthodox

• Conservative Other

• Moderate Other

• Liberal Other

• I do not consider myself a Christian

Votes: 8 61.5%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ESTJ's! How many of you identify as Christian? If you do, what broad-base denomination do you belong to and how liberal or conservative do you consider yourself? Any answers help, even if you aren't a Christian.

Conservative Christianity, broadly speaking, is a belief in the inerrancy or near-inerrancy of the Bible, a generally literal reading of the Bible, and a belief that the death and resurrection of Jesus is the one way to salvation. There is much overlap here with Christian fundamentalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is a generally non-literal reading of the Bible, consideration of the Bible as a text essentially by man about God, and a belief in the non-exclusivity of Christianity as truth. Here is the wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_christianity

If you think one of the above describes your beliefs in essence, select it. If not, select moderate.

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible. Also, this may be a fool's hope, but I'd prefer to keep this thread free of religious debate. I'm simply gathering data here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am a Tibetian Buddhist :tongue:

Reactions: WickedQueen

·
Registered
297 Posts
I go to a Baptist church every sunday but I don't consider myself a conventional christian. I don't pray and I don't for the sermon or message. I go for the community. The only reason I went Baptist is because they sing more and to me that's a true expression of faith and devotion to an ideal. Not to compose an hour long speech or to wave a sign but to join other members of your community in open, unabashed song.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was raised Catholic, though I don't really consider myself Christian anymore. I'm hardly anti-religious, though, and I actually have a great deal of respect for many of the Christian institutions in the world. The Eastern Orthodox Churches in particular fascinate me, and if I had to choose a specific branch of Christianity that I felt closest to in terms of belief/philosophy, I'd pick the Russian Orthodox Church.

Rather than a formal religion though, I usually tend to function on my own beliefs that have formed over the years by learning from my parents and others in the community. Interestingly, while I don't identify as one, my own beliefs are extremely similar to the main points of Confucianism. Loyalty to family and community, the importance of altruism and service, and a belief in evaluating people by their actions rather than getting mixed up in endless philosophical nonsense.

Plus, I love Confucius' comment (paraphrased) of, "Men cannot yet serve each other. How do they expect to serve spirits?" This is why I largely stay out of the endless religious/atheist debates that seem to make up around half the internet. Far too many real, actual problems going on in the world. When we fix those, then we can sit around and argue philosophy all day, but until then I have better ways to use my time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am not Christian, and am a borderline atheist and most definitely anti-religion. To me, religion is a massive excuse used by millions to excuse the inexcusable (e.g., witch burnings, the Crusades, terrorism, etc.) and to try to force others to act in a manner they deem acceptable through the use of violence and threats of violence.

I firmly believe that Karl Marx was right: religion is the opiate of the masses. It teaches people to pay a church (that gives you nothing) 10% of your income, and accept your suffering in this life. If you do, you will be rewarded in the next life. I highly doubt that the tea-party conservatives (or any other political group, for that matter) would be so accepting of a government trying to sell them that line of goods.

Reactions: laikta
1 - 6 of 6 Posts