Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you? (INTJ's only)

• Conservative Protestant

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Moderate Protestant

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Liberal Protestant

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Conservative Catholic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Moderate Catholic

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Liberal Catholic

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Conservative Eastern Orthodox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moderate Eastern Orthodox

• Liberal Eastern Orthodox

• Conservative Other

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Moderate Other

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Liberal Other

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I do not consider myself a Christian

Votes: 80 64.0%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello INTJ's! How many of you identify as Christian? If you do, what broad-base denomination do you belong to and how liberal or conservative do you consider yourself? Any answers help, even if you aren't a Christian.

Conservative Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a belief in the inerrancy or near-inerrancy of the Bible, a generally literal reading of the Bible, and a belief that the death and resurrection of Jesus is the one way to salvation. There is much overlap here with Christian fundamentalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a generally non-literal reading of the Bible, consideration of the Bible as a text essentially by man about God, and a belief in the non-exclusivity of Christianity as truth. Here is the wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_christianity

If you think one of the above describes your beliefs in essence, select it. If not, select moderate.

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible. Also, this may be a fool's hope, but I'd prefer to keep this thread free of religious debate. I'm simply gathering data here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Christian, no-fixed denomination and do not attend church regularly.

Fundamentalism annoys me, I believe that its okay to question the bible and I think that other religions are not necessarily wrong, but simply represent a different system of belief and/or worship.

Okay, so I'm a weirdo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm an othodox Roman Catholic.

But as with nearly all othodox Roman Catholic's that doesn't mean I believe in creation in seven days or that evolution is false or something else like that. I honestly don't see how those scientific views and my religious views conflict with one another.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What should I select if I'm a cultural Christian? Because I was raised in a western Christian culture (the US) I know many of the stories (myths), understand the tenets, and celebrate (secularly) the major holidays but don't attend church or even think about my heritage much.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
What should I select if I'm a cultural Christian? Because I was raised in a western Christian culture (the US) I know many of the stories (myths), understand the tenets, and celebrate (secularly) the major holidays but don't attend church or even think about my heritage much.
That makes me think of Anders Behring Breivik, lols

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
Why would you associate me with a mass murderer?
The whole concept of being a cultural christian is pretty hilarious, I mean knowing that the "good christian values" are merely compatible universal enlightened values. If you've stopped believing in the faith depended values of christianity, then fundamentally you've broke off all ties. It seems silly to even attach christianity in any way

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The whole concept of being a cultural christian is pretty hilarious, I mean knowing that the "good christian values" are merely compatible universal enlightened values. If you've stopped believing in the faith depended values of christianity, then fundamentally you've broke off all ties. It seems silly to even attach christianity in any way
Are you familiar with cultural Judaism? I associate my Christianity in the same way. Christianity is beyond values. It is a whole set of traditions, stories, metaphors, and heritage. The culture in which I was raised is permeated with its values, symbols, literature, and references. Even phrases and words are colored by the Christian mythos. This culture is different from one found in India or China and that is, in part, due to the predominant religion. I don't associate with Christianity the religion but I do associate with Christianity the culture.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently attend a Catholic high school for the education, although I don't consider myself one (although baptized). I'm an agnostic theist, but telling them that gets just as much ridicule as if I said I were atheist. I side with agnostic theism more so because of my belief in souls and reincarnation. Not really that god is such a judgmental supreme being, but an energy. Buddhist philosophy is rather intriguing to me. ^^"
I respect anyone who holds strong beliefs and adheres to them consciously to be a better person. Some of my best friends are devout Christians, so please no one take offense when I say: my religion class in school is vexing. I have to read (what I see as) unjustified opinions as facts and it's rather hard for me. I just treat the class as a way of learning about another religion. Not really that I see agnostic theism as my religion, just as a definition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are some amazing coincidences with Christianity and the MBTI when we group personalities by the way they experience Time. It was David Kearsey who documented the "Time" differences in his research. He also documented the percentages of personality types among humanity. The Website Godtype.com comes up with some amazing coincidences! Important for any christian doing research.....

·
Registered
INTJ
1,506 Posts
Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a generally non-literal reading of the Bible, consideration of the Bible as a text essentially by man about God,
I believe it has gone through too many human hands to be thought of wholly as the word of God (or to be followed unquestionably). Yes, most useful when thought of as a text by man about God.

and a belief in the non-exclusivity of Christianity as truth.
Seeing as I don't take genesis literally, I am free to believe scientific theories that mainstream Christianity rejects, so yes.

So, I guess that makes me Liberal Protestant.

Reactions: Shazzette

·
Registered
410 Posts
I clicked Conservative Other. I do not believe other religions are completely false. I do believe the Bible is written by people but inspired by God and is inerrant. Concerning salvation...Jesus Christ alone..

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have my own personalized philosophical belief system and moral code, if I had to categorize myself then I would probably most closely fit the description of agnostic. I'll probably make a thread for my beliefs in the philosophy and critical thinking forum.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
i'd consider myself agnostic.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts