Personality Cafe banner

Which of the following applies most to you? (INTP's only)

• Conservative Protestant

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Moderate Protestant

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Liberal Protestant

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Conservative Catholic

• Moderate Catholic

• Liberal Catholic

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Conservative Eastern Orthodox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moderate Eastern Orthodox

• Liberal Eastern Orthodox

• Conservative Other

• Moderate Other

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Liberal Other

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I do not consider myself a Christian

Votes: 89 82.4%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello INTP's! How many of you identify as Christian? If you do, what broad-base denomination do you belong to and how liberal or conservative do you consider yourself? Any answers help, even if you aren't a Christian.

Conservative Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a belief in the inerrancy or near-inerrancy of the Bible, a generally literal reading of the Bible, and a belief that the death and resurrection of Jesus is the one way to salvation. There is much overlap here with Christian fundamentalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

Liberal Christianity, broadly speaking, is defined in this context as a generally non-literal reading of the Bible, consideration of the Bible as a text essentially by man about God, and a belief in the non-exclusivity of Christianity as truth. Here is the wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_christianity

If you think one of the above describes your beliefs in essence, select it. If not, select moderate.

If you're wondering what I intend to do with the results, check out my blog post here: MBTI Correlation Project - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

Tag me or quote me if you want to get my attention on this thread. If there's an option you would like to select, but isn't available, let me know and I'll enter your information manually if possible. Also, this may be a fool's hope, but I'd prefer to keep this thread free of religious debate. I'm simply gathering data here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm an apatheist. I was raised in a conservative roman catholic family, but I never was really conservative myself, it is just so far from my nature. I was a strong believer for over 17 years.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Look at all those types of just one religion in the poll - it's like club membership. Even the Christian god says, "Join us...or else."
That illustrates one reason I'm not religious.

·
Read Only
795 Posts
I was (and am being) raised moderate/liberal protestant. I personally don't believe in the Christian God. I do believe in a god that is more of a speculator, not a regulator. I don't think that god wants us to live a certain way. I think if there is a god, it's more like an INTP than any other type. That being said, if I were god, I would most likely make people worship me out of my own vanity.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Why isn't Gnostic Christianity on your poll?
There is a section called ''other''.

Gnostic? Seriously? xD I've just been reading about them, at least what they have been in early christianity. Not a very appealing belief :D

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
There is a section called ''other''.

Gnostic? Seriously? xD I've just been reading about them, at least what they have been in early christianity. Not a very appealing belief :D
The commonly accepted idea of Gnostic Christianity is that they where a group of Christian Heretics in the 3rd and 4th century who got "infected" by paganism. In fact, Christianity has pagan roots, and Gnostic Christianity is simply the original interpretation. That is: Death and Rebirth happens in the moment, that the entire universe and everything in it is a fabrication of the consciousness which we are all part of ("God")... well.. essentially... it comes to the same conclusions as my "Time is an Illusion" thread.

I am not a member of the Gnostic Christian church. Gnosticism is its own belief, which I just outlined. The secondary "variable" (as in, Gnostic "Christian", Gnostic "Pagan", Gnostic "Hindu") is just the reference to the mythological doctrine that one finds explains these ideas the best to oneself, which was, arguably, the only premise behind their creation in first place. They where never meant to be upheld as "fact", in the sense that those who believe something else are "wrong".

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm an apatheist, I was baptized at the age of 11 (may I say, against my will) in the Mormon Church.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The commonly accepted idea of Gnostic Christianity is that they where a group of Christian Heretics in the 3rd and 4th century who got "infected" by paganism. In fact, Christianity has pagan roots, and Gnostic Christianity is simply the original interpretation. That is: Death and Rebirth happens in the moment, that the entire universe and everything in it is a fabrication of the consciousness which we are all part of ("God")... well.. essentially... it comes to the same conclusions as my "Time is an Illusion" thread.

I am not a member of the Gnostic Christian church. Gnosticism is it's own belief, which I just outlined. The secondary "variable" (as in, Gnostic "Christian", Gnostic "Pagan", Gnostic "Hindu") is just the reference to the mythological doctrine that one finds explains these ideas the best to oneself, which was, arguably, the only premise behind their creation in first place. They where never meant to be upheld as "fact", in the sense that those who believe something else are "wrong".
Christianity has very little to do with paganism, a little bit of Orfic element here and there, but it's mostly quite original. (if you disregard the fact that it grew out of Judaism :p) Also, what I read about Gnostics is the comparison of their beliefs to Stoics and Plato. Plato thought this world is imperfect and just a ''shadow'' of the perfect, unchanging world of ideas created by the Creator (i think this is where the word ''ideal'' got it's meaning), Stoics thought this world is the manifestation of the Creator, so in a way they've thought this world to be perfect.

Gnostics are closer to Plato, they think this world is imperfect and all that, but they are Christians so the teological explanation ends up being that this world is made by the devil, it is imperfect and basically evil in almost every possible sense and all that we can hope for is happiness in the other world.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Christianity has very little to do with paganism, a little bit of Orfic element here and there, but it's mostly quite original. (if you disregard the fact that it grew out of Judaism :p) Also, what I read about Gnostics is the comparison of their beliefs to Stoics and Plato. Plato thought this world is imperfect and just a ''shadow'' of the perfect, unchanging world of ideas created by the Creator (i think this is where the word ''ideal'' got it's meaning), Stoics thought this world is the manifestation of the Creator, so in a way they've thought this world to be perfect.

Gnostics are closer to Plato, they think this world is imperfect and all that, but they are Christians so the teological explanation ends up being that this world is made by the devil, it is imperfect and basically evil in almost every possible sense and all that we can hope for is happiness in the other world.
You are speaking of the Allegory of the Cave. It is commonly misinterpreted.

Your other points are too broad to argue. If you do your research Christianity was compiled in Alexandria as the result of a collective effort to merge the pagan mythologies and symbolism available at the time into a more "universal" whole. This is why there are so many obvious references in the bible to the Egyptian Book of the Dead, or the Sumerian Tanakh, or Hinduism, or Judaism. Even Celtic and Norse mythologies find their way into Christianity.

Why would they take all Polytheistic ideas and merge into something which is, on its surface, monotheistic? Because they came to the same conclusion that my "Illusion of Time" thread comes to, albeit by a totally different route. That is, all consciousness is one, and consciousness is god, the creator of the universe. That is Gnosticism. It is commonly misinterpreted, as the doctrine that comprises it is expressed entirely in Allegory. Which was the point to begin with, it is only that the Church realized they could control others if they convinced them the Bible was objective fact. The Gnostics didn't go along, and so became heretics.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Are you implying that I have misinterpreted him here?
I am. In truth the interpretation as it holds in Gnosticism is different. So i cannot say you are wrong, other than that what you have interpreted is different than what Gnostics interpret.

You should also re-read my post. I have a horrible habit of adding more material post-publication. I apologize.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am. In truth the interpretation as it holds in Gnosticism is different. So i cannot say you are wrong, other than that what you have interpreted is different than what Gnostics interpret.

You should also re-read my post. I have a horrible habit of adding more material post-publication. I apologize.
Well, Plato himself has nothing to do with Gnosticism. I have interpreted him the same way his contemporaries did. Maybe Gnosticism takes the Allegory of the Cave and uses it to tell a different story, but all that Plato was talking about is that every object in this world has a perfect counterpart in the eternal world of ideas. For example, every bed is just a ''shadow'', an approximation of the ''Ideal'' bed, the same way every ''straight'' line is actually not straight but just approximates the idea of straight line into our imperfect world.

Also, your ideas of ''all is one'' seem not to have anything to do with the christian gnostics of the 3rd century. What I know about them is that, as I said, they've believed everything in this world is evil (or some more moderate gnostics - that it's just really imperfect), and that the Creator of this world is evil (or imperfect) as well. So they belived this world was not created by the God himself, but by a ''demiurg'' (which is by some believed to be a devil).

The only divine thing on this world is the human soul that has to, by all means, separate as much as it can from the ''physical'' world because it is imperfect and evil and only contemplate about the other world, which is a representation of the Divine, perfect God.

You definitely know more about Gnostics than I do, but this is what history books tell about them.

Edit: also, I'm going to read your ''Time is an illusion'' thread. Haven't checked it out before.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@Entr0py

Also, whilst we are on the subject, you may be thinking "How can one take 'Thou shall not suffer a witch to live' or 'Women are not allowed to speak in church as allegory?' "

Precisely. There are many books in the contemporary Christian Bible that are either NOT in the Gnostic version or are translated differently. The Christian version has become horribly convoluted over the years. (You hear that Christian women? You are not allowed to speak in Church. It is in the Bible. You also are not allowed to braid your hair, nor wear gold.)

Most of these "odd" bits where actually convoluted purposely by rulers at the time. For instance, the example of all examples "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live" was (by King James, I believe) changed from its previous version "Thou shall not suffer a poisoner to live". Not only that, he then convinced people that this meant they should "Kill" witches, when really all it means is don't pay attention (don't suffer to live) to those people who poison the minds of others. He had a fear of "witches" and so changed it, and then used it to persecute and kill them.

Another example is the previously mentioned "Women shall not speak in Church" (I think the actual phrase is something like "Women have to ask their husbands to speak for them in Church, or something similar"). This one is hilarious. What this really stems from is a phrase in the Gnostic version that essentially says "Those who do not understand the doctrine should not speak in church".(As it is all Allegory) How fucked up is that? Somebody seriously just changed it to "Women, those who don't understand anything".

It is hilarious, really. Also, the "No gold/don't braid your hair" is another convolution of "Be modest and don't partake of luxury"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts