Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I would like to know if exists a correlation between psychological types and racist or xenophobic tendencies.
I just want to specify that, in my opinion:

- Racism: is an idea according to which there are biological differences between peoples of different ethnic groups.
For example a racist statement would be: asians are smarter than white people who are smarter than africans because of their genes.

- Xenophobia: I don't necessarily think that humans are divided into races, nor that one race is better than another, but I still don't like some ethic groups because of social, cultural reasons.

OBVIOUSLY VOTES ARE ANONYMOUS.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think that humans are divided into races, but not that one race is better than another

I learned in biology class that breed or subspecies mean animals that are inherently the same but have developed different physical traits to cope in different environmental conditions and my common sense says that this translates to human specie as well like every other species that are spread over a wide range. Race is synonymous to breed or subspecies.

I have no prejudice against others and my social circles consist primary of different ethnic groups than mine so I do not consider myself a racist.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Perspectivelessness or religous fanatism makes people weird. I would not say I don't like ethnic group x, it depends on the society they are in and whether they "fit i"n or built their own society. It is individual groups I dislike.

So basically no although I pick up on the common "assumed" traits. Jokes are always good as long as everybody gets it is a joke.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation with STJ, followed by INTP. Introverted sensing can associate physical traits and cultural mannerisms with prior negative experiences, and the cold impersonal reasoning of Thinking could be used to rationalize the fears into a racist theory.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
For example a racist statement would be: asians are smarter than white people who are smarter than africans because of their genes.
Certain genes associated with higher intelligence are found not exclusively but more frequently in some ethnic groups than in others. Asian and Jewish people are, on average, more intelligent than non-Jewish white people who are in turn more intelligent than people of African descent. This is probably due primarily to heredity and not just cultural differences, socialization, childhood nutrition or other environmental factors. There are black Africans (w/ no white or non-African ancestry) with above average IQs and Asians with below average IQs, these are statistical differences.

I think that humans are divided into races, but not that one race is better than another

I learned in biology class that breed or subspecies mean animals that are inherently the same but have developed different physical traits to cope in different environmental conditions and my common sense says that this translates to human specie as well like every other species that are spread over a wide range. Race is synonymous to breed or subspecies.

I have no prejudice against others and my social circles consist primary of different ethnic groups than mine so I do not consider myself a racist.
If a race is a sub-species then there's only one living human race ; homo sapiens sapiens. I agree that genetic and biological differences between human populations are downplayed by mainstream academics for political reasons, even if they aren't enough to justify classifying us into separate sub-species.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
You're taking a huge leap of faith in humanity by asking people to identify as racist or not. Racism is so deeply ingrained and embedded, most people will not recognize that they are. The majority will likely say no, but truth be told, we ALL have prejudices. We may not identify as "racist" but I guarantee you that every single person has done/said something that was racist.

If you're just asking who is openly and proudly racist, then that may be a different angle altogether.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're taking a huge leap of faith in humanity by asking people to identify as racist or not. Racism is so deeply ingrained and embedded, most people will not recognize that they are. The majority will likely say no, but truth be told, we ALL have prejudices. We may not identify as "racist" but I guarantee you that every single person has done/said something that was racist.

If you're just asking who is openly and proudly racist, then that may be a different angle altogether.
Well I thought about that and apparently you're right...
I thought that since we're on the internet with nickname and with our real identity hidden (even the votes are anonymous) people would be more apt to be sincere...
Anyway maybe I just use a word too negative in the common conception...

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
ESFJ and not racist, but I would be considered a xenophobe if you ask me to respect the society and culture of al-Qaeda or any of those other terrorists.

I don't like those things that those Muslim women have to wear, I forget what they're called, but they seem like a symbol of oppression to me.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ESFJ and not racist, but I would be considered a xenophobe if you ask me to respect the society and culture of al-Qaeda or any of those other terrorists.

I don't like those things that those Muslim women have to wear, I forget what they're called, but they seem like a symbol of oppression to me.
Yeah I understand that... That's pretty much the same thing that happen to me with americans...

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ISTJ and no I'm not racist(I believe).
That's good... In my personal experience many Si users are racist or xenophobe. But I'm starting to think that this depends on the experience of the person. If you grow up in a multicultural and healthy environment you will be more prone to be tolerant.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I voted no but I agree with @stiletto so I probably should have voted yes.

I think many people, too many people, believe that it is hard to be racist if you aren't white. That may play a part in this as well.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I voted no but I agree with @stiletto so I probably should have voted yes.

I think many people, too many people, believe that it is hard to be racist if you aren't white. That may play a part in this as well.
Excuse me, I'm almost sure this depends on my linguistic limitations, but I didn't understand what you meant.
Are you saying that is more socially accepted to be white and racist than [insert any other race here] and racist?
I'm asking because I have no clue about that...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Excuse me, I'm almost sure this depends on my linguistic limitations, but I didn't understand what you meant.
Are you saying that is more socially accepted to be white and racist than [insert any other race here] and racist?
I'm asking because I have no clue about that...
I think that some people believe that only white people can be racist which is false. So maybe it means that it's more socially acceptable to be non-white and racist. EX: If a white person makes a black joke, it's racist. If a black person makes a white joke, it's funny. I'm not saying it's right, or that my opinion is right but it's what I have observed.

·
Banned
668 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation with STJ, followed by INTP. Introverted sensing can associate physical traits and cultural mannerisms with prior negative experiences, and the cold impersonal reasoning of Thinking could be used to rationalize the fears into a racist theory.
So, you're saying that Te/Ti and Si users find the line "the last black guy I met was an asshole, ergo every black guy must be an asshole" logical? Are you goddamn serious?

Oh and please explain how one rationalizes fear.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, you're saying that Te/Ti and Si users find the line "the last black guy I met was an asshole, ergo every black guy must be an asshole" logical? Are you goddamn serious?
I have to agree with pernoctator on that.
Especially on the Si part... The raciest people I know are Si user.

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that some people believe that only white people can be racist which is false. So maybe it means that it's more socially acceptable to be non-white and racist. EX: If a white person makes a black joke, it's racist. If a black person makes a white joke, it's funny. I'm not saying it's right, or that my opinion is right but it's what I have observed.
Oh that's pretty funny... It's like a penance to be served for the past racial crimes that white people did...
Others races have a credit on that right? Now I understand thank you.

Reactions: Stasis
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.