Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so I'm curious as to the relationship between personality type and the ability to make quick decisions, improvise, and carry quick-witted conversation.

EP types seem to do this especially well. IP types are harder to figure out; they often seem to have a natural wit about them, but are also introverted-judging dominant, so it may be more difficult for them to quickly come up with new ideas/possibilities and make decisions when dealing with the external world? Judging types, of course, are usually comfortable making decisions, but can they do so quickly and spontaneously?

Obviously, this is an issue that has far more relevence to each individual than any personality type, but I'm just interested in seeing how people of different types tend to think on their feet. Does fast-paced problem solving come naturally to you? Are you one of those people who always knows what to say at the right time? Or do you prefer to ponder a problem for some signifigant period of time before coming up with a genius insight? Do you feel verbally awkward when talking, seeming to trip over your own words and have difficulty coming up with clever things to say? And how do you think certain aspects of your personalities effect these abilities?

Any thoughts?

Reactions: The Exception

·
Registered
94 Posts
gotta go with ESTP here. i am the queen of improvising and thinking on my feet. problem solving comes naturally to me but especially so when my back is against the wall. i just know what to do in stressful tense situations and am able to take charge of the situation and get to a positive outcome. i dont really "ponder" what to do when a problem arises, i just do it and worry about the rest later. i dont think ive ever felt verbally awkward in my life. I have an uncanny ability to read a person and know exactly what to say to them. No shortage of coming up with clever or witty things to say ever. in fact most people cant even come close to going head to head with me. i will out-smart and out-wit them every time. but if you can actually beat me at my own game...well hey, now i gotta respect that! lol

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yeah, I think generally EP's would be the best and IJ's the worst. Introverts generally like to take their time to think through something before giving or saying their thoughts, and P's seem to be able to adapt quickly to situations.

Personally, I'm really bad at thinking on my feet. I really like to have things planned out and to know what's coming. I'll even rehearse phone calls to myself before making them! I also re-read emails and even posts a lot before submitting them.

A lot of that is down to dominant Si...I think ISJ's are probably the worst at thinking on their feet.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
As much as I think they are the most annoying type in the world (I'm generalizing), ENTP's in my opinion are the best at thinking on their feet, although I haven't ever really known any ESTP's, but I think that we can agree EP's are the best at that. Maybe EXTP's?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a close friend who is an ESTP and he is very quick indeed. I’ve seen him out wit and overwhelm door attendants at events and get in free (just for the thrill and bragging rights). It’s almost like it’s a game for him to “one up” people, but when he loses, he takes it very personally and becomes a cry baby.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
As far as emergency situations go, I was trained to excel at those. I grew up with a hypochondriac mother and a very sick nephew. I've always been the one, who had to hold his shit together and get them to the ER, while everyone else just ran around screaming or crying. The family decisions are almost always left to me, be they about something small or something really important. Sometimes I feel a little under appreciated, when I get them right, because I sure as hell get the blame, when I get them wrong. However, overall, I'd have to say, that I enjoy it. I'm fairly good at it, and it makes me feel useful. I've also always been the one to bail my friends out of tight situations with the wrong people or the law.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I agree that EPs seem to be the "quickest" as far as responding to things. I can be quick, but not so much verbally. I have ideas instantly, feeling-thoughts form in very quick "whole" way, but it takes me time to put them into words that others can comprehend. I don't try to be witty much because what strikes me as amusing is difficult for me to convey in a way that others might see it in the same light.

I think this is because an introvert's thoughts can be a bit abstract, coming from their subjective inner world, whereas an extrovert is often processing the external more "directly", so their thoughts connect to it quickly and they can express them immediately. In fact, extroverts sometimes seem to need to talk to think. I often need to think to talk....and I don't think I trust my Ne as much as a Ne-dom, so I have to think it evaluate it first.

I do notice I am quicker with concepts than ISPs, but they are quicker with physical reflexes. I notice SPs are so confident in their sensory reflex that they purposely engage in situations which test it. As an NP, sometimes I do this with my mind. I was accused of being argumentative when I was younger, and sometimes that side emerges still. To me, it was just a way to explore ideas, and challenge existing ones, but people around me saw it as combative. I think it energized my Ne side, so instead of just draining me, it would stimulate my mind. However, being introverted and shy and a sensitive Fi-dom, I need to feel comfortable with the environment/people, or all of my energy can be sucked just absorbing everyone else's words & actions & the tangible atmosphere. If I am overwhelmed with stimuli, then I may not react quickly. I also hate getting emotional in front of people, so if I feel like I am going to, then I shut down until I can be alone.

I personally don't notice EPs making decisions fast, unless it's made on a whim (Ne) or an impulse (Se). I think when it comes to real decisions that actually require thought instead of just an immediate reaction, they take longer than EJs. Although, I think they can trust their perceptions more than an IP. I sometimes act on a whim (in small matters), but I usually take time to make a decision because I want to consider all the options and maybe seek out new ones. Often, I have an idea, but it's simply a matter of figuring out how to make that happen in reality. If I don't have an idea or don't find any of them good enough, then I pursue taking in more info to see if an idea will emerge. Often, one does pop up all of a sudden. If I am flooded with ideas, then once again, I hold back on expressing them until I can sort through them, make some sense of them, arrange them in a manner that makes sense to others, etc.

When I find myself in an environment where I am "inspired" and comfortable enough to be quick, then I feel pretty good. I feel more like myself in some ways. I have to be in the right mood, with the right people, and the topic has to be one which interests me, or else I just float off into daydream, because I'm finding my own thoughts more interesting.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think this is because an introvert's thoughts can be a bit abstract, coming from their subjective inner world, whereas an extrovert is often processing the external more "directly", so their thoughts connect to it quickly and they can express them immediately. In fact, extroverts sometimes seem to need to talk to think. I often need to think to talk....and I don't think I trust my Ne as much as a Ne-dom, so I have to think it evaluate it first.
Isn't Ne more abstract, though?
Well, that's my experience. My thoughts are hard to put into words, which has to do with my dominant Ne. Anyway, Ji does the job of evaluating. The difference will be in breadth and strength and speed of Ne.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eh, sorry it took so long for me to respond, I am a busy college student :tongue:

In general, it seems like EPs are inclined to be most witty, although with introverted types I think it's very dependant on our mood. I've known IJs to make very witty and insightful comments at the spur of the moment. Personally, I feel more like an Ne dom when I'm in a socialble mood, and my natural wit shines through. Otherwise, it takes me a lot longer to think and act, and I feel a compulsive need to sort things through my thoughts before making a decision. Depending on the situation, this could lead to a better or worse outcome. In social situations, my experience tells me that I have a much better time, am more pleasant to be around, and also more naturally empathetic towards other people when I don't worry so much and just trust my gut (still using my inhibitions as my reigns, of course, and rather than focusing my mental energy on "strategizing", so to speak, using it to understand the situation and people that I'm interacting with). But I still deeply value my personal reflecting time, which opens me to new insights and perspectives about people, my own self, and life in general.

OrangeAppled, I completely relate to everything you posted, especially the fact that I'm often perceived by others, especially my dad, as argumentitive when really I'm just trying to seek for information or test a specific view or attitude toward a concept. I also understand how difficult it can be to express my thoughts, which make so much sense in my mind, in words which are so often misunderstood by others.

The ability for me to effectively convey my thoughts is largely effected by both my mood and the nature of the external situation, but I figure that instead of wasting my energy trying to "control" my mood in order to make myself more witty and a more effective communicator, which really just weighs me down because I'm wasting all my mental energy worrying, the best thing for me to do is realize that attitude is more important than mood. Low moods are a natural part of life, and I won't always be as able to express myself as well as I would like, but maintaining a positive attitude even throughout a low mood allows me to use my mental energy to better relate to people people and effectively carry myself through any given situation.

Reactions: OrangeAppled

·
Registered
322 Posts
ENTP/ENFP often have a flair for very quick, spontaneous wit.

ESTP/ISTP are very good at improvising with physical objects (think Bear Grylls-style).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Pe ,nough said.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
K, so I'm curious as to the relationship between personality type and the ability to make quick decisions, improvise, and carry quick-witted conversation.

EP types seem to do this especially well. IP types are harder to figure out; they often seem to have a natural wit about them, but are also introverted-judging dominant, so it may be more difficult for them to quickly come up with new ideas/possibilities and make decisions when dealing with the external world? Judging types, of course, are usually comfortable making decisions, but can they do so quickly and spontaneously?

Obviously, this is an issue that has far more relevence to each individual than any personality type, but I'm just interested in seeing how people of different types tend to think on their feet. Does fast-paced problem solving come naturally to you? Are you one of those people who always knows what to say at the right time? Or do you prefer to ponder a problem for some signifigant period of time before coming up with a genius insight? Do you feel verbally awkward when talking, seeming to trip over your own words and have difficulty coming up with clever things to say? And how do you think certain aspects of your personalities effect these abilities?

Any thoughts?
I don't consider myself particularly good at thinking on my feet. It's one area where I feel vastly different from ENTPs who typically are very good at this even though we only differ by one letter.

I prefer to solve problems at my own leisure, to carefullyl weigh the pros and cons of the different solutions before acting on it.

I often feel like I don't what to say at the right time. When socializing with groups of people, I often feel like by the time I've formulated a good response, the group is on to something else entirely.

I'll often think about what I should have said well after the conversation is over with.

I can be witty but this is mostly in an online environment where I can think before responding. I'm less this way in real life. By the time I think of the witty response, it's no good because the context of the situation has changed and the witty response would no longer be appropriate.

There is one area where I think quickly on my feet and that is on timed tests. I usually did well on those. So I guess I think better on my feet in non social situations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't consider myself particularly good at thinking on my feet. It's one area where I feel vastly different from ENTPs who typically are very good at this even though we only differ by one letter.

I prefer to solve problems at my own leisure, to carefullyl weigh the pros and cons of the different solutions before acting on it.

I often feel like I don't what to say at the right time. When socializing with groups of people, I often feel like by the time I've formulated a good response, the group is on to something else entirely.

I'll often think about what I should have said well after the conversation is over with.

I can be witty but this is mostly in an online environment where I can think before responding. I'm less this way in real life. By the time I think of the witty response, it's no good because the context of the situation has changed and the witty response would no longer be appropriate.

There is one area where I think quickly on my feet and that is on timed tests. I usually did well on those. So I guess I think better on my feet in non social situations.
I know what you mean. It's so frustrating to think of a perfect response to something long after the conversation's already moved to a different topic, or even to think of something good to say on the spot but not get a chance to say it until the conversation takes a different turn and it's no longer relevant.

Reactions: geGamedev

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I notice that T types are better at thinking on their feet. Not to perpetuate the "only thinkers think" stereotype, but that's what I know, thinking off the top of my head.

;-P

1 - 15 of 15 Posts