Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I feel guilty starting this thread after reading "Frustrations, annoyances and complaints" but I think it's interesting so here goes:

I'm very much into gaming. And I demand reasons for everything - including people's tastes. So what I was wondering is whether personality and one's favourite genre(s) can be linked. I'm not looking for empirical evidence, just thoughts/theories about the subject.

For example, most would say INTJs prefer strategy games with a lot of depth. But I'm the complete opposite. I like fast-paced action and like mechanics, so I like racing games and shooters.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well I can't speak for others, but my favorite genres personally are platformers and strategy games. I can see how my fellow ENFPs would enjoy the energy of platformers, too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like RPGs/Simulators, 3rd person shooters, adventure games like Zelda, and racing games.

I'd say I play 3rd person shooters like Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto the most as it's difficult to find a really good RPG that I like.

One game that I'm really looking forward to is Cyberpunk 2077. It's like the game I've been waiting for all my life.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,935 Posts
ENTP, RPG, shooters, strategy games. Mass Effect is probably my all time favorite, followed by Deus Ex, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Freelancer, Max Payne, and various WWII shooters.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like a lot of different types and I'll play just about anything, but some of my favorites are JRPGs, music/rhythm, adventure games like Zelda and Okami, bullet hell (even though I'm terrible at them), match three/block clearing puzzle games... I guess I'm not really narrowing this down much. I find myself getting more excited about JRPGs and music/rhythm games than other games though.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,226 Posts
INFP

I don't play a lot of games, and don't know all the terms, but pretty much the main requirement for me is a pretty environment (including music). Usually this means fantasy or sci-fi worlds in which you run around and save princesses or the universe or whatever, but more puzzle-like games can also have good background pictures and overall nice design (for instance i loved the backgrounds in bejeweled 3). I wouldn't be interested in playing a game that looked like everyday modern life, or something that was too dark and depressing.

I really enjoy creating characters, so role-playing games are good. I also enjoy 'do-good' quests to help out characters. And I love just wandering around and exploring a beautiful world.

I'm not too into combat just for the sake of fighting, though I can enjoy special effects related to blowing things up or casting magical spells, but beating opponents isn't really what makes a game satisfying. However, I do find that I prefer a 'good vs. evil' scenario more than opponents who just have different skills but are pretty much just like you.

Solving puzzles and strategizing is more satisfying in the way of 'beating' something than straightforward combat is. For example, I find it satisfying to 'beat' a session of mahjong, but in a game where I'm playing a character the satisfaction comes more from just being in the environment than it would from killing a tough monster.

I'm more interested in collecting things or making stuff in a game, than I am in gaining territory or beating bad-guys, though that's not to say I don't like some of that. I also really like discovering 'hidden' places, or 'secret' levels, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like pretty much anything with player vs. player aspect although preferred enviroment is some kind of fantasy setting. I guess it combines 'adrenalin rush' (Se) and archtype like characters (Ni).

·
Registered
622 Posts
ISFJ: I like adventure games, (mmorpg), racing games, rpg like Tales of Symphonia, fantasy games and also games like Mario Party (actually all Mario's). I also like otome games and mystery games :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im an INFJ, I love RPG's and Adventure games with deep engrossing stories such as Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Bioshock, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Tomb Raider (2013) Elder Scrolls III, IV, V
I also like Racing and Fighting Games, used to tournament in them
I also like MMORPGS with massive raids and bosses.
Shooting games are ok...Ill do Battlefield and Titanfall, that's about it

·
Registered
285 Posts
I enjoy strategy games but mostly skillbased, fast reflex games are my forte, usually FPS. I also like open world RPG games that give you a lot a freedom too.
Call of Duty and Skyrim are still some of my favourite games of all time lol i could play those all day... and night... and day again... :tongue:

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
ENFP

All types of games as long as they have interesting features.

Some of my favourites are The Binding of Isaac, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill, Drakengard, Dishonored, Walking Mars, The Longest Journey and ICO.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts