Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I tested multiple times as INFP. For a while, it made sense - sorta.

Then I began to find more and more, the descriptons just did not fit. Sure, there were hazy similarities, but ultimately it seemed like I was reading pages of words that didn't have much to do with me at all. Probably I wanted it to make sense, but my bullshit radar was adamant that it was right, I was being a dick, and it had had enough of being a gulliable twat by association.

Fast forward some full on life-twisting events later, and I've grown to be pretty pissed off with the whole typing system all together. I'm not an INFP, it doesn't work. Actually, I now repeatedly test as an INFJ - though I've also tested as INTP in the past. I've found ennegrams to be just as useless. Am I an INFJ? Of course not.

I think people don't change 'types'; Rather, I think this whole 'types' thing is bullshit to begin with. It tells you what you are right now, puts you in a box, and tells you "you'll never get out of it".
It's become some sort of cult of tireless eggheads creating fields of endless details and jargon, to explain away any differences within types.

It's only benefit that I can see, is that it gives people a sort of emotional armour (hey man, it's just my 'type'), and more importantly, a common interest and opening material to discuss the squishy depths of their inner beings. Thus some true self, and fellow understanding, might actualy be accomplished (though heavily diluted with fabricated preconceptions).

I have about as much respect for 'typing' right now, as I do for horoscopes.

It's obvious most here will not agree - however, please refer to this emoticon for my 'feelings' -> :dry:

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I know where you are getting at, but I personally would not take everything so seriously. For myself it's all a bit of fun.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Apparently a sentence proposing:
"typing is a just another system people learn, and in doing so, use their knowledge to dish out misguided wisdom or devlish superiority."
is enough to get you banned from chat.

GTFO free thinkers. *yawn*

I know where you are getting at, but I personally would not take everything so seriously. For myself it's all a bit of fun.
I do take it seriously. Many companies now hire and fire (or never hire at all), over these tests in the workplace. It concerns me.

Update on the update:
Default You have received an infraction at PersonalityCafe
Dear TheHappyMinority,

You have received an infraction at PersonalityCafe.

Reason: Inappropriate Language
-------
Member trolled and disrupted a conversation where a vulnerable member was feeling fragile and seeking serious advice. Member was warned once, then kept persisting. I banned member from chat for such abrasive behavior.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
PersonalityCafe

Right..... Y'know, aside from unrelated musings about parties (about 3 lines worth), I was not interacted with re: the above, aside from someone responding with "Lulz"

Personal counseling sessions should be drawn into another room. At no stage was I made aware of a private or sensitive conversation.
I am feeling quite fragile myself, and your mishandling of my feelings might just push me over the edge (no, not really but it could've been true - "with great power comes...").

Perhaps this thread is better in the debate section. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts supporting MBTI and it's undeniable credibility, or alternatively, your thoughts on why it's just an amusing interest to you that shouldn't be given too much merit.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That mypersonality.info test called me an INFP too. That is why I think the actual tests are sometimes bull.

Actually I'm guessing the reason why I tested INFP was since I was quite introverted so I thought I used my Ni more than Se and I think my mum is an Fe dom so that kind of made me think I was a feeling type too or maybe I was just stressed out.

Oh yeah I kind of believe about the functions stuff since they seem to fit. But MBTI and descriptions seem off sometimes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That mypersonality.info test called me an INFP too. That is why I think the actual tests are sometimes bull.

Actually I'm guessing the reason why I tested INFP was since I was quite introverted so I thought I used my Ni more than Se and I think my mum is an Fe dom so that kind of made me think I was a feeling type too or maybe I was just stressed out.

Oh yeah I kind of believe about the functions stuff since they seem to fit. But MBTI and descriptions seem off sometimes.
I agree-- function theory seems to me to be a much more effective system than MBTI per se. I see MBTI tests as a springboard, a starting point. It's best if you do more research into the system, how it works, that kind of thing. And MBTI has its limits. I personally find it a useful tool for understanding myself and others. It's helped me to get away from mindsets like, "there's something wrong with me," "I'm weird", "people who don't think like me are stupid," etc. I'm able to understand, at least to an extent, how other people view the world and why they are the way they are.

It's not a platinum measuring stick or the be-all-end-all of personality theory, and it's not a hard-and-fast system. But it's useful. That's how I see it, anyway.

Reactions: penchant
1 - 5 of 5 Posts