Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking about MBTI and whether or not there’s any link between personality type and families (either due to nature OR nurture).

I’ve noticed my husband, one of his brothers, and his mom are all ESTP’s. (I suspect his youngest brother is as well.) And, my mom and all three of her sisters are ISFJ’s. So, I’m wondering, what’s your experience with this?

Which MBTI personality types comprise your household? And, if want to elaborate, how well does your own MBTI coexist with the other type(s) in your family?

(Sorry if there’s already another post like this already!)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes, there's similar posts about this. But I strongly believe personality is mostly genetic -we inherit personality traits from our parents, just like physical traits. Adopted twin studies provide a strong argument for this. I believe nurture also has an effect on personality, but not as much as nature.

I'm Isfj and my husband, Istp (but middle on extro/intro and j/p scales). Our daughter is Esfj and son Isfj, I think.

My parents are Esfj and Istj. I'm Isfj and my brothers are Isfj and Istj, I think.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,774 Posts
I don't think so... at least not in my case. My family is all S (mum - ISFJ, dad - ISTP, brother - ESTJ) and I'm an ENTJ. Even going back to my grandparents the 3 I knew... all IS. Maybe the 4th one might have been an N, but I only barely know his name and that he was involved in a plot to kill the dictator of my country in the early 1950s... but that's about it... nothing substantial to determine type.

284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for weighing in, guys. I was only curious because I have seen a lot of evidence that it does, but in my case, personally, it doesn’t. (I have an ISFJ mother and an ESTJ father and sister. I’m pretty sure I’m an INFP. And I’ve never been able to relate well to the members of my family.)

Still, to have half of your family be the same MBTI type (especially in cases of larger families), seems statistically significant. Unfortunately, I am only going off of my in laws and my mother’s siblings so I don’t have enough data to really speculate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok, with my family, there is somewhat of an intuition/sensing correlation...and maybe E / I as well.

ISFJ runs on my mother's side, as do sensors in general. 1 ESFJ, 3 ISFJ, 1 ISTJ, 1 ISTP.

My father's side is significantly more intuitive and slightly more extraverted. 1 INFJ, 1 INTJ, 2 INFP, 1 INTP, 1 ISTJ, 2 ISFJ, 1 ENFJ, 1 ENTJ, 1 ENTP. 1 XNXP, and 1 EXXX.

My sister is a thriving ENTJ superhuman. I am the INTP, lol...she is my older sister, always competitive and brilliant, but I held my own with her playing board games growing up. I bring that up to make myself feel better. ;)

·
Premium Member
38,670 Posts
Ha, no! I tried 3 different tests on dad but he gets a different result each time, but he seems to be a thinker, and original, a bit cheaky at times, for fun...very caring, helpfull and friendly. He is very good at explaining difficult things in an easy, short way, open to discuss politics and religion, non judgemental. He likes to watch movies and read science. He is probably an Introvert, come to think of it...Mum seems to be an EXFJ, but I'm not sure if she is introverted or extraverted, an intuitive or sensor due to some other condition. She rarely takes sides in a conflict and tries very hard to understand all sides instead. She doesn't like to read much, but has writen a lot, as opposed to what I have seen from dad and my sibling...but she can be quite the philosopher, and like to watch tv conests abiut singing or dancing, shows about and when missing persons find their relatives, and used furniture being auctioned away. She has this laughter that seems to come straight from the heart. My sibling...I have no clue about them at all except from that they are very extraverted, very smart and emotionally intelligent. They are full of ideas, and like to think what if. Very logical, can use sarcasm as a tool at times, as opposed to mum and dad. They are all dependable, reliable, loving and caring, the way I see it. Me and mum have a pretty simmilar view when it comes to politics, but we have a different view from both my dad and sibling, who again also have a different view from eachother. I will not discuss my child(ren) here due to privacy and age.

·
Registered
INFP, EII-Ne
201 Posts
My nuclear family and my grands parents are all NP and NJs. Otherwise, the rest of the family is comprised mainly of ISTJ, ISFJ and ESFJ.

What's fun to watch is that the recent big family changes (immigrating from a country to another or completely changing of sociological categories altogether) have been created by the Ni dom or aux users. While the strong Si users of the family haven't uprooted themselves so much.

(Granted, my sample is really too anecdotal to draw any definite conclusions.)

I personally get on decently with everyone (I like the ISFJ and ESFJ in my family very much). However, it's true that the J of my family tend to see the Ps as eternal children of sorts. :p

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also anecdotal, but I think it only partially runs in families, like in broad swaths and not in specifics. So if you get two introverts who marry, their kids are mostly likely to be all introverts, and the same is true for two extroverts. But if you look at couples with two INTJ's who married, their kids are unlikely to be all INTJ's... you'll get some INTP's, INFJ's, a few ENTJ's, etc. And there are plenty of examples of kids who felt like aliens in their own families.

That said, I would reserve judgment about some of those aliens absent a DNA test.
:eek:

·
Registered
15,691 Posts
highly doubt so - guess growing up my family were all intuitive but there’s only 3 of us and we were all very different from one another - especially me and my mother

me- enfp /xnfp
mom - enfj
grandmother- intp

my family now

husband- istp
son- esxp
daughter - intj
son - entp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,520 Posts
Mother swears she's an ENTJ.
Mother swears my father was an ENTJ.
My sister, I believe is ESTJ, I could be wrong.

...and there is me - INFP.

My mother said I was so different from any of them, she thought I was "dropped" into the wrong family. Switched at the hospital.

I had a DNA test and unfortunately, everything matches with this crazy family.

So to answer your question: I don't think MBTI runs the same in all families. In my experience.

·
Boaz & Jachin
Верховная Жрица ENTJ · LSE · VLEF
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mother swears she's an ENTJ.
Mother swears my father was an ENTJ.
My sister, I believe is ESTJ, I could be wrong.

...and there is me - INFP.

My mother said I was so different from any of them, she thought I was "dropped" into the wrong family. Switched at the hospital.

I had a DNA test and unfortunately, everything matches with this crazy family.

So to answer your question: I don't think MBTI runs the same in all families. In my experience.
A field marshal for a mother, what was that like?

·
Premium Member
15,520 Posts
@xwsmithx

My mom taught in schools and then became a principal and then wrote books for teachers. She used to lead workshops on MBTI and enneagram and truly grasped the concept of “gifts differing”. She knew I was very different- like night and day - but really did seem to love me and provide well for me as a child. Our relationship to this day is good and I speak to her every night. She did say to me recently “I think we were too hard on you...”. To cope, well... I can’t say really. I guess when she got home from working all day, she was too tired to command me around.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I guess it was like
LOL. Funny, but she gives me INTP vibes rather than ENTJ. How about...

jane-lynch-glee-pilot-resize.jpg

It put two in here, but I can't figure out why. Second edit: That seems to have fixed it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
LOL. Funny, but she gives me INTP vibes rather than ENTJ. How about...

View attachment 875243
It put two in here, but I can't figure out why. Second edit: That seems to have fixed it.
I don't know who she is. She reminds me of Bridgette Nielsen something.
But I was just going for the NT vibe. (Btw I think Leonard's mother is INTJ).

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't know who she is. She reminds me of Bridgette Nielsen something.
But I was just going for the NT vibe. (Btw I think Leonard's mother is INTJ).
That's Jane Lynch from Glee. Never watched the show, but the bits and pieces I've seen here and there make me think she's definitely the field marshal type. As for Leonard's mother, I can see how you'd think she's INTJ, she might be borderline J/P because she always dresses impeccably, which an INTP wouldn't do, but I think she's more on the P side because of the questioning aspect of her personality. She wants to know why, she wants to know your reasoning, and however blunt force her methodology, she actually does get people to open up to her. The troll side of the INTP makes her relish reducing people to tears, of course. For an INTJ, not only is getting people to open up difficult, we don't even want to. We're not really interested in your motivation, and we're not trolls, so we don't enjoy making people cry, and usually don't. We're more of the type, "If you can put your emotions on hold for an hour, we might make some progress here."

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
That's Jane Lynch from Glee. Never watched the show, but the bits and pieces I've seen here and there make me think she's definitely the field marshal type. As for Leonard's mother, I can see how you'd think she's INTJ, she might be borderline J/P because she always dresses impeccably, which an INTP wouldn't do, but I think she's more on the P side because of the questioning aspect of her personality. She wants to know why, she wants to know your reasoning, and however blunt force her methodology, she actually does get people to open up to her. The troll side of the INTP makes her relish reducing people to tears, of course. For an INTJ, not only is getting people to open up difficult, we don't even want to. We're not really interested in your motivation, and we're not trolls, so we don't enjoy making people cry, and usually don't. We're more of the type, "If you can put your emotions on hold for an hour, we might make some progress here."
She doesn't strike me as the person people "open up to". She might be in desperate need for friends, and that might be a cause for her attitude but I suspect that it might be easier for an F tertiary to get in touch with people more than for an F inferior.
Anyway, an INTJ yearning for logic is just the same as an ESFJ judging for your appearance. It's just two types being at their most critical.
All in all, I'd be surprised if Leonard's mother was a P. A P appears to be someone who cares all the while she doesnt. A J on the other hand doesn't look like trying while....

As for INTJs not trolling, some people associate INTJs with trolling excessively and thus identify some major popstars INTJs because of their trolling tendencies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts