Personality Cafe banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
INFP
845 Posts
I've been thinking about this for quite some time too, so I'll offer my thoughts.

If we look at it in terms of the cognitive functions, there are only 2 polarities: Fi-Te vs Ti-Fe, and Si-Ne vs Ni-Se.

If we are Fi and our parents Fe, we could say that our type is affected by them, because we are going against them. We wouldn't be going against something if we're not affected by it, no? But if our parents are Fi and we're Fi as well, then we're being influenced by them. Same goes for the Si-Ne vs Ni-Se polarity.

So either way, there is always an explanation for it, due to the nature of the functions' interrelation. This made it hard to say for certain.

But if we have more information, and we have other lenses to use for observation, who knows, maybe we might find out that there is indeed an underlying pattern. Just that it is extremely complicated and it depends on way too many factors.

·
Registered
610 Posts
She doesn't strike me as the person people "open up to". She might be in desperate need for friends, and that might be a cause for her attitude but I suspect that it might be easier for an F tertiary to get in touch with people more than for an F inferior.
Anyway, an INTJ yearning for logic is just the same as an ESFJ judging for your appearance. It's just two types being at their most critical.
All in all, I'd be surprised if Leonard's mother was a P. A P appears to be someone who cares all the while she doesnt. A J on the other hand doesn't look like trying while....

As for INTJs not trolling, some people associate INTJs with trolling excessively and thus identify some major popstars INTJs because of their trolling tendencies.
I base that off of her being able to get Penny to open up to her in just two flights of stairs, to the point where Penny's crying when she knocks on Leonard's door to tell him his mother's there.

Trolling seems to be more of an INTP thing. INTJ's are highly sarcastic and will subtly rip people to shreds, which doesn't seem to be an INTP forte, but that's different from trolling. And then I think Leonard's mother is a P specifically because she seems like the kind of person who would screw up a patient on purpose just to see what would happen, while a J type would never do that.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Dad: ESTP
Mum: ENFP
Sibling: ESTP
Sibling: ESxP?????
Me: Most likely INFP

Sooo... Yeah.

We all get along pretty well. We've had our misunderstandings as we've (us, the children) have grown up but we all started to understand or try and understand each other better as the years go on and MBTI has definitely cleared a lot of things up for me. As understanding how my family may "think" a certain way, react, ect.

·
INFP 5w6
6,051 Posts
I think it probably does to some extent, but that it is too complex to predict in what way.
My parents got intj and infj on tests, my brother infj too, I think that is possible but also possible my mother is isfj and brother intp. Also looking at grandparents and aunts and uncles most seem to have been introverted, most more than a little. Some of that could be environmental though. The P I think could relate to inherited traits from my grandparents that skipped a generation perhaps. I think my whole family is evening-people too, which I think is genetic and has some effect on personality though it can't be directly translated to mbti, but there are tendencies.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,636 Posts
also, cultural and environmental influences.

the relationship between young children and their parents, we can draw out factors in which they're more likely to resemble the parents' stack and retain an aspect of it through further development. - more likely to happen with young but stable caretakers with no more than 2.5 children in close age range.

multiples (twins/triplettes/etc) are a wild card... most often archetypal roles akin to pack mentalities with a selected alpha.

opposition seems relative to how involved the primary caretakers and surrounding 'authoritative figures' are.. differentiation / organic developmental shifts which may be temporary / benign social trauma more likely to happen between 7 and 14.

adulthood, at least on the social front is harder to gauge as developmental phases spread further out. if said individuals chart a path similar to their caretakers, not uncommon to share/fall back on perspectives akin to caretakers after own children are grown. . . which gets into the question of social masking even within ones' own family or the power and social imbalance present and extended in old age.

279 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think it probably does to some extent, but that it is too complex to predict in what way.
My parents got intj and infj on tests, my brother infj too, I think that is possible but also possible my mother is isfj and brother intp. Also looking at grandparents and aunts and uncles most seem to have been introverted, most more than a little. Some of that could be environmental though. The P I think could relate to inherited traits from my grandparents that skipped a generation perhaps. I think my whole family is evening-people too, which I think is genetic and has some effect on personality though it can't be directly translated to mbti, but there are tendencies.
I’ve read studies to confirm that certain personality traits are heritable, but, like you mentioned, we can never really know to what extent. And, contributing learned behavioral traits also muddles things even more.

I think it’s interesting to hear other peoples’ accounts and how well they get along with their family members.

My relationship with my family growing up was incredibly discordant. (Having an ISFJ mother is definitely a crux for an intuitive.) The other two members of my family are ESTJ’s. I never felt like I fit in with my family, but I do think being forced to cohabitate with opposing personality types has made me especially tolerant/appreciative of various MBTI types now, which has its benefits.

My mom is a textbook ISFJ. She is incredibly caught up in relating everything back to her own past experiences (the hallmark of an Si dom), has a strong sense of duty, and values traditions. She does not try many new things, and she is not particularly open-minded. She is incredibly protective, to the point of being overprotective, and she represses a lot of her own emotions in order to “shelter” others from them. (She was a kindergarten teacher for her entire career and very skilled at governing a room full of rambunctious children, but she struggles to open up to people beyond small talk.)

I’m not sure if this helps as a reference point for your own mom, but maybe it will help you determine whether or not your mom is an ISFJ or INFJ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of my extended family are intutives (ENTP, ENFP, ENFJ) and my immediate family are all in Fi/Te axis (INFP, INTJ, ENFP). I have an ESFJ aunt and an ESFP cousin and we don't mix with them a lot but they're living two streets away from us. I think environmental factors affect personality types more than genetics. Our culture gives more importance in future orientation, changes, language, religion, and relationships.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts