Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Tell me... what the theory says abot becoming yor type? I mean do you have it since you are born or develop it somehow during childhood or what? Maybe both - you develop it but have some genetic tendencies towards it? What do you say about it?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The theory itself was an adaption of a psycho-analytical model proposed by Carl Gustav Jung, it was adapted and re-measured by Isabella Myers-Briggs and her daughter Katherine Myers (unsure in that name).. But that being said, the only individual that could be fully seen to have a psychological/psychiatric background with research is Carl Jung (a practicing Psychiatrist for many years).

Therefore, in wishing to enquire into the developmental aspects of MBTI, I would say, take a greater interest in Developmental psychology and also see if you can uncover any papers using MBTI as a measure in the research.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi
Tell me... what the theory says abot becoming yor type? I mean do you have it since you are born or develop it somehow during childhood or what? Maybe both - you develop it but have some genetic tendencies towards it? What do you say about it?
Dunno what recognized theory says, but unless one is on one of the extreme ends of the nature/nurture spectrum, I think it's generally agreed that each individual is impacted by each factor to a different extent.

If it's not generally agreed... well... that's my take on it, anyhow. =]

·
Banned
891 Posts
i think you are born with it. to me it's like a sunflower seed. no matter if you plant it in stoney soil or rich soil it will always be a sunflower. i was thinking the other day about when i was 1 or 2. i was on a ship with my family and the sea was really rough. everyone was dying.my dad had his head hung over the side the whole journey galking his lungs up. me? i thought the captain was doing it on purpose so i could run up and down and play seesaw.weeeeeeeeeeee! after reading that enfp's are tuned into solutions rather than problems i think i must have always been like this.though i know any personality type at 1 or 2 could be running about when everyone else is sick it was just something that occured to me. but that's just my take on it. i could have a different view tomorrow, if i'm proven wrong.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was so glad when I found out my personality type! It meant i no longer had to 'feel' bad that i wasn't like everyone else in my family. I think you are born with it. Your brain developes in the womb. No other reason i can be the only NT in a large family full of every other type! Haha!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Arguably, you're either born with it or it's imprinted upon you very early in life. Specific traits develop and people naturally change and grow over time depending on their circumstances, but one's basic MBTI type remains rather static.

As a P I have been thinking a very looooong time to change and become a J, maybe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts