Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a better understanding of how friendships and compatibility work in mbti from your personal experiences.

1. What's you're mbti type?
2. Do you think people gravitate towards opposite or same types in friendships?
3. Which letters are the most incompatible?
4. How many letters difference might cause incompatibility?
5. Which types do you find you get along with best?

·
Registered
40 Posts
1.- I'm an ENTJ.
2.- I don't think there's such thing as a "gravitation", friendship is not about having things in common or about "complementing each other". I honestly can't define what friendship is really about, but I do know that types don't matter when it comes to creating bonds.
3.- T-F. They're not really incompatible, but are likely to argue.
4.- I repeat, I don't belive in type incompatibility.
5.- I've noticed most of my friends are Sensing types, other than that there's no particular pattern. My closest friends are an INFP and a ESFP.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
oooo

1. What's your mbti type?
ISTJ

I have not experienced any particular grouping so if I answer for myself, no.

A lot. :D ha... nah I think it depends how much time you spend with them or whether you have similar interests. But let's just say that whatever type blabs about me is not going to be compatible with me.

I haven't experienced this. People who I really get along with have not been the types of people I could ever type. I just see them. There are so many unique things to them and experiences that it blurs anything to do with MBTI.

·
Registered
64 Posts
INFP
I generally gravitate to somewhat similar (Even though one of my best friends is an ENTJ). My best friends are an ENFP and an ENTJ.
T and F IMO, but anyone can get along I guess. I generally find myself arguing with my ENTJ friend quite often, boy does he get on my nerves sometimes. lol
It really depends, but again, anyone can technically get along.
Generally Ns, preferably NFPs, NFJs, and I can somewhat get along with NTJs it really depends.

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
752 Posts
INFJ

I think people gravitate towards their temperaments. NF's will usually be more comfortable with oth NF's. SP's will gravitate towards other SP's. So on and so forth.

Fe and Fi might have some trouble.
Si and Ni could have some pretty bad misunderstandings at times.
Unhealthy Se users could drive Si crazy in extreme cases and this could become a pretty abusive relationship.

I don't know, I think I could get along well with STJ's.
I've had MULTIPLE bad experiences with ISTP and INTJ but it usually depends more on the person and how emotionally/mentally healthy they are.

ENFJ, INFJ, INFP, ENFP
ENTP, INTP, INTJ
ISFJ, ISTJ
ISFP, ESFP
I've yet to meet an ESTJ or ESFJ, possibly even ESTP?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I want a better understanding of how friendships and compatibility work in mbti from your personal experiences.

Gasp! A thread on PerC asking about interaction between types that has nothing to do with romantic interest? I didn't know such a thing was possible! XD

1. What's you[r] mbti type?

ESFP

From what I observe people seem to gravitate towards opposites. If someone is a talking they like to find a listener, if someone is a listener they like to find a talker, and if you want to do both you are screwed because the opposite is doing neither. XD

Although, people do seem to like talking with types that are at least somewhat similar. After all, if they were completely different they would have a hard time relating.

Im sorry, what now? I don't think there are letters that are incompatible. In fact, knowledge of Myers Briggs types ideally would make all of the letters even more compatible because people are growing and becoming more accepting of one another (ideally).

Again, I'm pretty sure there is no incompatibility in Myers Briggs. An individual could deem themselves incompatible with an opposite type, a type that shares their two of their type's letters, or even their own type. However, that doesn't mean it's true.

I can't really speak for the types as a whole, but I have seen these friendships in the past...
ISTJ-INFP (very close)
ESFP-ENFP
ESFP-INTJ
INTP-INFP (very close)
ENFP-ESTJ (very very close)
ENFP-ISTJ
ESFP-INTJ
ExFP-everybody (I know, lame short cuts)

Actually, I'm not sure I have seen a type combo that prohibited people from being friends. I do know I almost boycotted INTJ, but thankfully I met some fun ones, and also thankfully I don't represent the ESFP type as a whole.

In summary, this sounds more like a personal preference thing and less like a type thing.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm an ISTJ.

Type doesn't matter to me at all in friendship. The closest people in my life are Ni-doms, where as other Si-doms sometimes drive me crazy. It all depends on the particular person, their interests/hobbies, and how healthy they are.

I get along best with INTJ's, INFJ's, ISFJ's, and other ISTJ's. E and P are actually the letters I have the hardest time with.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Entp.
Opposite most of the time.
Te doms.
Like i said i don't like either Te doms and also Fi doms.
I love XXTPs, but surprisingly my longest friendships have been with ixfps, istj and esfj. And they are the types that in theory i don't like.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts

INFJ

I think I get along best with:
1. Any NJ
2. Any NP // Any SFJ

I get along fairly well with both NPs and SFJs, but in different ways. NPs obviously can talk about crazy ideas just as well as NJs (or better). But with SFJs I really can feel my Fe activated and that's a good feeling. I have hilarious discussions with fellow Fe-users that wouldn't be possible with any other type.
Obviously with other NFJs, I get both those sides at once :)

I get along less well with SPs... except those that are in my family and I'm extremely familiar with. I often find I just have no clue how to talk to SPs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. ENTP
2. In my experience, I would say people gravitate towards similar types. When I find a fellow NT, it's rare for us not to bond over our plans for world domination and incredibly dark sense of humour!
3. It's been said before, but I do find the biggest communication problems lie between iNtuitives and sensors, especially if the J/P and/or T/F dichotomies are also contrasting. XSFJs tend to be the types I struggle the most with. I think extraverts and introverts can generally get along fine though.
4. See above. Though types don't have to be inherently incompatible.
5. Most of my best friends are ENFPs or other ENTPs. I get along well with most other NTs although we tend to be rare IRL. All my closest friends are Ps though (N and S). I've often found Js (especially ESxJs) to be too concerned with controlling their immediate environment for my liking- plus I hate committing to things!

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,036 Posts
1. What's you're mbti type? INFP

2. Do you think people gravitate towards opposite or same types in friendships? Really depends on the person. Speaking for myself, I tend to gravitate toward common ground, but unique perspectives.

3. Which letters are the most incompatible? I think J/P is probably the most incompatible. For me, personally, Fe clashes with my Fi (but I've found ways to not let this affect me as much) and Se is this sort of almost mystical function that I can't seem to ever figure out.

4. How many letters difference might cause incompatibility? I'm not certain; I'd guess maybe three two four.

5. Which types do you find you get along with best? I'm an INFP. I get along best with: INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP, ESTP, ISFP, and INTJs (no order - order in which I thought of the types. Most of my friends are INFPs). I have a push/pull relationships with INFJs. I'm starting to talk more to people with ISXJ types and I have found that I tend to get along pretty well with them, too.

Offline, the only type that I've consistently not gotten along with are ENFJs, but it's not really so much that I don't get along with them as much as they don't tend to get along with me.

Edit: scratch that. For me, a profound introvert, the hardest types to get along with are moderate to extreme extroverts. So I'm going to say that I/E is most incompatible from my perspective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts