Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have this problem since 3 years old, when I look around me, I feel like I'm in a dream. My vision is blurry.
I know I am INxx, but I have trouble determining my type

I was asking myself, What function or type would be most likely to have this strange view of life?

:ninja:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
INFPs are the stereotypical 'alien' type, if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
436 Posts
INFPs are the stereotypical 'alien' type, if that's what you mean.
This. I've also encountered plenty of "spacey" ISFPs as well, but INFPs tend to fall into that starchild archetype more often than not. Not that's there's anything wrong with INFPs or ISFPs whatsoever, just that Fi dominants seem more likely to feel like they're from somewhere else, foreigners to the everyday experience of those around them. This dovetails, of course, with the general malaise that dominant introverts can feel about society in general, from time to time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers but I don't feel like an alien, I rather feel that the outside world is strange, as if everything was simulated around me a bit like Matrix.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
There's actually a specific brain area that regulates physical objects and our relationship to them. People that underutilize this area tend to have a weird relationship with the physical world and their own bodies.

Problem is: that's still multiple types. I know that INTJ and INFJ tend to neglect this part or their brains, but there's many others that do the same thing. I think you could use this to narrow your search down a bit, but it's definitely not enugh to base your entire typing on.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for your answers but I don't feel like an alien, I rather feel that the outside world is strange, as if everything was simulated around me a bit like Matrix.
That sounds like it may be something worth discussing with a medical professional instead of strangers on the internet, if your description of your view of reality is not metaphorical or exaggerated for effect. Not saying that you're unstable or mentally ill or even in a state of philosophical quandary, but that something as unfortunately imprecise and subjective as personality typing is probably not going to satisfy your quest for knowledge in a way that doesn't leave you eventually frustrated again at a future date if that is the case.

Now if you are being metaphorical or allegorical in your descriptions of yourself, I'd suggest further information would go a long way for others offering proper input. We are a group that likes to be helpful, but less is never ever more when it comes to such things.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Any type could experience this. I also struggle with disassociation (if you are referring to the mental illness), and it makes interpreting the world around me and myself difficult, but I don't associate it with my personality. I think INXX types could potentially feed the disorder, or at least understand it initially, but it is entirely separate from one's personality. I think people would say INFP's are likely to feel this way because they tend to feel alienated in the world, but then again, INFJ's are often described to feel misunderstood & detached from reality as well.

Reactions: fresh

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Completely anecdotally, I'd guess INT types.

I'm an INTJ and I get panic attacks which often include derealization. (Oddly I used to take an antidepressant for panic attacks which also gave me derealization, but in a different way.. hard to explain, more of a zombie-like, dream state way I guess). My sister has tested as an INFP and also gets panic attacks (probably environmental, related somehow to our upbringing) but has told me that derealization/depersonalization is pretty much the only panic attack symptom she doesn't experience.

I also know an INTP who has depression (not sure if relevant or not), and relates to the feeling of being in the matrix -- it's almost become a joke between us.

I'm not sure about derealization in isolation/in the absence of some other disorder eg depression, ptsd, panic disorder. But as far as mental illness, I'd guess it manifests that way more often in the more 'detached' types such as INTx, and more broadly INxx.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Hello

I have this problem since 3 years old, when I look around me, I feel like I'm in a dream. My vision is blurry.

I was asking myself, What function or type would be most likely to have this strange view of life?

It's a human condition. Wikipedia says 3/4 of all adults have experienced symptoms of derealisation. Reasons:
- physical trauma
- psychological trauma
- anxiety
- sorrow
- sickness
- too much drugs
- withdrawal from too much drugs
- lack of sleep
- sleep disorders
- hearing deficiencies
- ear infections
- alcohol

Reactions: nep2une

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello

The same thing happens to me. I actually kind of like it.
What's funny is that it can happen during a conversation and I'm talking and I can completely forget that I'm talking. My voice keeps going, my lips keep moving and it's almost like they go on their own and I'm thinking something completely different. Some times I say something or touch something and am never sure if it was REALLY done. It's like life is not being LIVED, only thought about.

In my case, it happens because I'm stuck in a constant idealistic pursuit of something that is yet to be achieved and everything else in life seems highly irrelevant.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Hello

(Cognitive-informational processing input(s)) do not cause 'blurry vision,'. A medical optometric evaluation is advised.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The same thing happens to me. I actually kind of like it.
What's funny is that it can happen during a conversation and I'm talking and I can completely forget that I'm talking. My voice keeps going, my lips keep moving and it's almost like they go on their own and I'm thinking something completely different. Some times I say something or touch something and am never sure if it was REALLY done. It's like life is not being LIVED, only thought about.

In my case, it happens because I'm stuck in a constant idealistic pursuit of something that is yet to be achieved and everything else in life seems highly irrelevant.
Interesting! I sometimes feel that everything I see, touch, feel .. it's my mind that projects it and that it's not real I discussed this with 3 ISTP and they think the same things that me. I have never met xNTP but maybe it's a Ti vision

·
Registered
374 Posts
Interesting! I sometimes feel that everything I see, touch, feel .. it's my mind that projects it and that it's not real I discussed this with 3 ISTP and they think the same things that me. I have never met xNTP but maybe it's a Ti vision
(Are you sure they are ISTP?)

It makes sense that it'd be a nature of introverted judgers. I'm pretty sure that Fi doms or aux's may go through this too.
Though, definitely in harmony with your claim, "How do I know if this is real life" seems to be a concern I find expressed more often by TP's than any other type.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That sounds like it may be something worth discussing with a medical professional instead of strangers on the internet, if your description of your view of reality is not metaphorical or exaggerated for effect. Not saying that you're unstable or mentally ill or even in a state of philosophical quandary, but that something as unfortunately imprecise and subjective as personality typing is probably not going to satisfy your quest for knowledge in a way that doesn't leave you eventually frustrated again at a future date if that is the case.

Now if you are being metaphorical or allegorical in your descriptions of yourself, I'd suggest further information would go a long way for others offering proper input. We are a group that likes to be helpful, but less is never ever more when it comes to such things.
This is the right answer. I strongly recommend you don't use MBTI as an authoritative framework for psychological issues, if for no other reason than it being a waste of time on your end. Go find someone who can help you if this is creating problems in your daily life.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
First, derealisation can be a symptom in clinical disorders such as anxiety, depression, or psychosis and in biological disorders such as a endocrine imbalance or a neurological condition.

The INXJs tend to see external data as somewhat erroneous as Se is inferior. However, Se is still in their stack and so it is valued.

The INXPs tend to be more absent-minded, day-dreamy, head-in-the-clouds. Se isn't in their stack at all and might just be ignored completely.

Outside of MBTI, I think people who regularly introspect and pursue creative endeavor tend to be more detached than others. Also, enneagram types 5 and 9 might have these traits, too. So, an INTP 5 might be a lot more disconnected than an INTP 6.

Reactions: pwowq
1 - 18 of 18 Posts