Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not literally
but i used to have high hopes and shit and always used to think that hard work can get me to places and even surpass those with a natural talent for it, but then the MBTI came along and ever since then i've been trying to see how i can change it and my hopes have gone DOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. I am an ISFP, i can't be a strategist like i've always wanted to because i ain't naturally born at it (INTJ). I can't be (ISTP).

Now i'm always watching shows, reading books thinking of what should be but not.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You are an ISFP but always wanted to be an INTJ? Is this what you are saying?
Explain yourself. Although I know how hard is to do it at times.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah...i meant before i knew about this (MBTI)

I always wanted to be something that had a lot of strategy and such and desired to be very intellectual. Friend gave me a test who ironically is a INTJ and i did it, i came out an ISFP. Didn't look into a lot at first but then searched and i found out what i wanted to be was (ISTP/INTJ) as those are the really intellectual and innovative types.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Isfp is just a type. You yourself are much bigger, much more than that. I identify as an infp; I don't think this precludes me from logic, from enjoying sensory pleasures, or from planning. You can be anything. You are what you believe yourself to be; personality relies on a conscious understanding of self. What are you really limited by?

The truth of what you are is much greater, much more intellectual, strategic, whatever the trait.... than any personality type. When you experience the reality of your true self... you see that knowing who you really are, and genuinely believing in this real self, is much more powerful than any ideal image.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't know, but I think hard work and good research will get you to your goal eventually. Maybe you will need a little more time or more effort, but still it is not impossible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the worst thing about all of this is how MBTI is pretty accurate.
The truth of what you are is much greater, much more intellectual, strategic, whatever the trait.... than any personality type.
I usually test as a ISFP or INFP.

But can you elaborate?

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
the worst thing about all of this is how MBTI is pretty accurate.

I usually test as a ISFP or INFP.

But can you elaborate?
I added it above, sorry about that, I tend to add to things after I post them...

When you experience the reality of your true self... you see that knowing who you really are, and genuinely believing in this real self, is much more powerful than any ideal image.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't let that influence you. This system is not designed to measure your potential as a human being. It could never do that.

The truth is, real genius, innovation, strategic planning, etc is accomplished through effort and practice. People aren't born strategists or innovators, they become that when they set their mind to it, and so can you. Please don't something as trivial as MBTI determine your destiny, that is something you get to choose.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I must admit that sometimes I get too a tad too fixed on MBTI. A part of me hates it, because I know, it simply has nothing to do with reality, I came to know that. But, right now my life is a bit fucked up, and I get a bit obsessed by it, I don't know why. Sometimes I think too that maybe I want to be something I am not, but I wonder what would I be if many things didn't happen to me.

I feel like a blend of INFJ, ESFP, ENTP, ENFP and INFP. Yep. So there's nothing to worry about.
Ask yourself how you want and how things are. I don't know what to say, really, but a test can't tell you what you must be.

Reactions: Invidia

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
One of the first things I got told before taking the MBTI is that it should NEVER be used to say "I can't do this because I'm **** type." The MBTI is not about limiting yourself, it's about figuring out your personality's preferences. It's not a programme for how you should act or a set of rules that govern your life and destiny. If you ever find yourself saying "I'm **** so I can't...." then you're working with MBTI all wrong. Don't do that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, to be totally honest, people are good and talented at different things. If you set out to master something you arent naturally good at you will never be the best, but probably be good at it. Truth to the matter is even if you are isfp, which isnt even certain, you could still get good at your weaknesses with practice. The road will be harder for sure, but if you are motivated enough you will succeed to some degree atleast. That said, I question that you should devote your entire egg-collection in a basket which is poorly constructed. But if your dream are strong enough, maybe you will have the motivation to overcome the hardships along the way. Just dont blame yourself(or if you want to be intj, do :p) because if your motivation is not sufficient maybe its not worth it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
As others have already stated, your MBTI type is a mere preference, a mere hint at the things you might be naturally good at. Just because you're an ISFP (if the result is accurate) doesn't mean you can't be a strategist or anything else you want to be. Your type doesn't define you. There are 16 different MBTI types out there but there are 7 billion people in the world!

If you've typed yourself correctly, you can actually use your MBTI type to help you become a better strategist because when you know your type, it can help you pinpoint the areas you need more practice in. You can even study the type you'd like to be (INTJ) and consciously develop the qualities you like in an INTJ, even though you're not naturally inclined toward that type.

For example, I'm an INTP (or INFJ or INFP, not sure) and I don't have trouble acting very ENTJ- or even ESTJ-like when I need to. It drains my energy to do so, yes, but it doesn't prevent me from doing it. I can be extroverted, social, and organized if I want to. Likewise, I'm right-handed, but I'm very good at using my left hand because I've practiced it. And so on. You can practice too.

So don't give up! Don't let your type define you. Simply take it as an indicator of your natural preferences and use the knowledge to your advantage while pursuing your dreams.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Honestly,i could probably make myself believe i was any type i so fancied.(and act in such a way that most people believe it too.)

I dont believe anything in life is fixed,or has an order or fate to it. You are you..still growing and becoming (until the grave)..not a fixed type.It's why i get uncomfortable when people say "Tell me who i am" or try to direct serious life matters with MBTI type stuff. Its a fun thing to play with,until you find something else to play with and move on. Forgive me,as i hate repeating shpeels that some glide on, but honestly you are an individual that can't be described by a stupid little system.The self is much more severe than that..much deeper.Only you can develop you..from real experience and self direction..hanging on seriously to a type will only poison you in the long run.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
You wanna know the upsides of being a perceiver?

As a sensor-perceiver, you're more naturally inclined to be in the moment. And studies have shown that's one of the biggest keys to happiness. You have that going for you. As a feeler-perceiver, you're always going to know what in your heart resonates with you. Some of the people that you "want" to be never see more to life than cold logic in results.

i used to have high hopes and shit and always used to think that hard work can get me to places and even surpass those with a natural talent for it
And it can-- natural talent doesn't count for everything. If anything, studies have shown that self-control is the biggest factor in financial success, not talent, as shown in the marshmallow study. Need I show you the video to make you feel better? :D Skip to the part with the little kids. Anyone can learn self-control. It's not MBTI-specific, as long as your actions remain deliberate (and if they don't, might want to consider the enneagram for help introspecting why you act the way you do).

I'm an ISTP, and have acted and can act like any type I want to. People will believe INTJ, INFJ, ENFJ, ENFP, INFP, ISFP, the works. Just because you know you're an ISFP doesn't mean that anyone else is going to notice the characteristics that make you an ISFP.

And no, I'm not "just another"-- I don't mean to brag, but I'm arguably one of the most innovative and high-achieving students at my school. A preference says nothing about your abilities, only your interests.

I could go on, but I think that will suffice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Surely you can't be serious. First of all taking the test isn't even that reliable for determining your type. Second of all, Myers Briggs has like zero scientific credibility. Third of all, even if it is accurate and it is your type, myers briggs doesn't measure skill or ability. You're certainly no grand mastermind. I'm not saying this because you're an ISFP, I'm saying this because you just took one personality test and let it define your entire life for you. Please change this, I want you to live your life.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.