Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Being an S

i am a realistic person. I want facts. and i go by experience.
and it's not about looking like someone, it's about being someone. All the masterminds are INTJ, ISFP/INFP are seen as the people that depend on people.

IDK..this has got me all confused, i'm 3 months away from finishing high school but my future is looking bleak as fuck. IF i can't do what i want to do, then i'm gonna lead a depressing ass life.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
and it's not about looking like someone, it's about being someone. All the masterminds are INTJ, ISFP/INFP are seen as the people that depend on people.
Do you see what you just did there?

No, it's not about looking like someone. The point is that if your skills and actions match something that's stereotypical of another type, yah, people are going to think you're that type. Your MBTI isn't who you are, and it's not set in stone. It really is a matter of perception.

You want realistic facts? Then we'll do it this way. What do you want to do? Tell me your plans. Why do you think you can't do them? Give specific reasons. Tell me the barriers that are in your way and I'll help you figure out your way around them. Ultimately, you have to show those goals that you are proactive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do you see what you just did there?

No, it's not about looking like someone. The point is that if your skills and actions match something that's stereotypical of another type, yah, people are going to think you're that type. Your MBTI isn't who you are, and it's not set in stone. It really is a matter of perception.

You want realistic facts? Then we'll do it this way. What do you want to do? Tell me your plans. Why do you think you can't do them? Give specific reasons. Tell me the barriers that are in your way and I'll help you figure out your way around them. Ultimately, you have to show those goals that you are proactive.
I was thinking of doing a Arts degree while sub majoring in Criminology and majoring in Social Psychology.
I want to be a cop/detective but i want to be a good one, a one that can think ahead and all that good shit hence why i want good strategy. I desire to be a good strategist, the way humans think has always intrigued me and yeah. But my school work ain't nothing spectacular and i've said before natural talent counts a lot more than pplz think. We all know the saying 'they'll always be someone better'. I wanna be one of the best, if i can't they're no point in doing it.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Want to do:

• Arts degree
  • sub majoring in Criminology
  • majoring in Social Psychology
  • cop/detective job
Want to be / skills to have:

• able think ahead
  • good strategy
  • One of the best-- need to have motivation for doing it
Issues:

• school work ain't nothing spectacular
  • natural talent counts a lot more than pplz think
  • 'there will always be someone better'
  • "if i can't they're no point in doing it."
Questions for you:

• What country do you live in? Your displayed birth flag here is invisible.
  • Assuming that you live in the US, have you considered joining the CIA for an undergrad internship to gain experience? You can definitely get better at what you want to do by actually DOING it. The more hands-on shit you do, the better your chances are at excelling.
  • Where do you plan on going to college?
  • If your grades are nothing spectacular, and your issue is getting into a nice college, have you considered going to a less selective neighboring college for a few years and transferring?
You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but that's just something to consider. In your own notes, write out your goals and how you can realistically achieve them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
1.) MBTI has no ability to predict or gauge intelligence. It 'tries' to predict personality traits. Not intellect.
2.) Dwelling on what could have been = giving up & useless.
3.) Something wrong? Fix it.

Actually I don't even know why I'm bothering with this. You, a young kid, took some online test, determined that it predicted the rest of your life as hopeless and bleak and then decided you may as well give up now. I think that's a very 'special' way of living. Good luck with that insanity.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was thinking of doing a Arts degree while sub majoring in Criminology and majoring in Social Psychology.
I want to be a cop/detective but i want to be a good one, a one that can think ahead and all that good shit hence why i want good strategy. I desire to be a good strategist, the way humans think has always intrigued me and yeah. But my school work ain't nothing spectacular and i've said before natural talent counts a lot more than pplz think. We all know the saying 'they'll always be someone better'. I wanna be one of the best, if i can't they're no point in doing it.
Hi there. I have to say that I agree with a lot of what's already been stated in this thread. And I really, really understand what it is you're saying because, well... I've been in that sort of situation before. Multiple times. And the last time was about a month or two ago. And I just wanted to share with you that even though you're feeling a great deal of doubt right now, that means that there's an opportunity for an equally great deal of hope.

Being a teacher, what you're talking about is aptitude, the natural sort of ability you have before practice and acquiring other skills. I know you want to be one of the best in your field, and it seems that the MBTI test has said your aptitude may be elsewhere. And I know that society tends to put a huge focus on 'natural' talent and having that one thing you're good at being your job. But I can tell you from experience, people tend to forget about the potential for anything that can be unlocked by determination and hard work. Hard work and determination to reach your goal will give you the starting point that can guide you towards gaining the skills you need to do whatever it is you want to do. And the thing about hard work is that the growth for potential is exponential. Some people who have a natural ability take it for granted and don't learn how to work hard. I've always seen at least one student in my class who started out a bit behind, but they worked hard. And even if their grades didn't always reflect their efforts, their knowledge was far greater than the students who could skate by just barely studying the night before. And I know this, because I'm also one of those students. I've never had a class I didn't have to work hard at.

And, here's the kicker. Because your natural skills lie in a different area, that means that you have the potential to bring in all sorts of different insight and perspectives. You will see things and understand things different from the average person. And you will get to add these perspectives which could be invaluable at times.

And I am here to tell you that it certainly possible. Because I used to be a student who almost failed my language classes (Spanish, English, literature, etc.), and I am still the slowest reader that I know of. And all the aptitude tests in high school said I should avoid jobs that heavily relied on language. But now I am a linguist who teaches a foreign language to students and enjoys it very much.

·
Registered
675 Posts
mastermind : Ni dom , Ti dom , Ne dom , Se dom. Most likely mastermind : NiTe (art, philosophy, research , strategist) , TeNi (strategist, organisation) , NeTi/TiNe (Research, science, art), SeFi(conqueror), NiFe (pure artist).

down of the scale : Fi dom. FiSe , FiNe. Often begin with learning a domain wich they think they will be good, depression , and after teach in this domain.
Its what I see always. Ive always knowed that Ill suck, despite my dream. Mbti, ect is just a new confirmation.
Si dom are too down, but they are less neurotic, and in addition they are creative.

Imo you Ne second : cuz you seem able to see a certain potential for yoursef, and build on this potential, a things FiSe do rarely. Se second are more direct, they arent likely to see potential of things, what can potentially do the trick.

ive send an mp to u

339 Posts
I like what both Nomenclature and erasinglines have stated. I think their advice is actually quite useful and rather motivating. I know I feel pretty motivated -she gives the thumbs up-. I too can relate to your current dillema. However, like most of the good people have already stated before in attempt to help you, the MBTI is but theory and to be quite honest, no one is exactly the 'type' which they get. No one fits the bill like the perfect shoe (no I don't fancy shoes that much, but it seemed apropriate?) or some shit like that lol. Furthermore, if you set your mind to it, you can definitely acheive what you set out for. It's a mind over matter thing. I'm guessing you're currently lacking in the motivation department too, hence the current prominent bleak-like quality to your current life. No worries bud.

We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit-- Aristotle.

What really helps me out when I feel bleakish, is reading quotes made by individuals who've failed every once in awhile but managed to survive in the end. Quotes from The Greats. Why not try reading some quotes from BrainyQuote.com? Or from some random website that'll offer you some of these little motivational sayings. I know they work for me and hopefully they might work for you? The human spirit is a force to be reckon with. Seriously. Once you're up, I doubt your life will feel so destroyed lol.

-hopes her teensy jokes did not offend anyone-

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Being an S

i am a realistic person. I want facts. and i go by experience.

IDK..this has got me all confused, i'm 3 months away from finishing high school but my future is looking bleak as fuck. IF i can't do what i want to do, then i'm gonna lead a depressing ass life.
There are a lot of people who study mbti, find major flaws in the theory, and just abandon it. Then I have seen others who seem to be able to come to believe they are a type, and focus on that too much, forgetting the other parts of themselves that just can't be made to fit inside the box.

I have been studying mbti for a little under a decade now, off and on, and I still won't 100 percent commit to the type that I -most likely- am. Its too binding. I recognize that I'm different from everyone, no matter if we are the same type or not, and that I have my own things I'm good at, or enjoy, and whatever I become successful at is going to be one of those things that -I- decide to focus on.

I think what you need to do is sit down and ask yourself what -you- like. -Not- "whats an isfp supposed to like." These are just theories, and they may not even apply to reality so much as people seem to try to squeeze reality into them. I saw this pretty nifty career book once that was structured in such a way that first, you would list all of the things you enjoy dong, the kind of environments you like, etc. It was pretty fun and pressure free, starting out, just thinking about what you like. Then you could build on that.

There are also a lot of stereotypes associated with each type. And I can say for certain that not every isfp gets into a field where they are expected to sit in their cubicle with a coloring book and let the nts do the thinking. I have met very intelligent isfps, who had pretty impressive careers. Typology is just going to attempt to explain part of who you are, certainly not the whole of it. The rest of that, you are responsible for.

I like this isfp profile because it doesn't have the ridiculous stereotypes like 'artist' etc. ISFP Personality Types

And I see nothing in there that limits you from anything.

So far as how to handle typology, well, you could a. abandon it and just figure out who you are apart from these theories (and its important to keep in mind they are just that). Or b. you could take the word of a few people here, that its in fact not supposed to limit you, rather be a tool for personal growth - and try to use it as that. And I will suggest not taking it too too seriously if you decide to try it out for personal growth. Its good to keep in mind that you -are- who you are, no matter what four letter score some theory that may or may not be correct, provides you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To be honest I respect people who work hard to achieve their goals, more than those who are naturally talented in what they do.
Even then, natural talent isn't ever enough. EVER.

To OP: I agree with some posts - you are what you limit yourself to be.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Even then, natural talent isn't ever enough. EVER.
Amen.

Do you think Mozart or Einstein would have become what they did without practice and hard work?

Without practice, perseverance and hard work, natural talent is almost useless. Talent can somewhat reduce your workload and it may help you go a little higher than the rest, but without hard work, you won't go anywhere.

I can tell because I'm naturally talented at many things but I would have totally failed the marshmallow test Nomenclature mentioned. And my life reflects that - I have a lot of talent but most of it is unused or underused.

I'd love to trade some of my intelligence and talent for perseverance and a hard-working nature.

I suppose the grass is greener on the other side. Many of us crave - to differing degrees - something we naturally don't have, envying those who are naturally inclined toward something we aren't. It's ok and helps us grow, but when we take it too far, it just makes us depressed.

The OP wants to be INTJ but the INTJs have their own problems too. IRL I know an INTJ who would love to be more of an F or S and less like a weirdo. :crazy:

Reactions: erasinglines

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
man i don't even know why i'm bitching on the internet, nothing ever changes.

You either got it or don't.

Life's a bitch and then you die.

·
Registered
214 Posts
man i don't even know why i'm bitching on the internet, nothing ever changes.

You either got it or don't.

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Because. Sometimes being able to say things on forums or through writing can help free us to be more honest and more open and really get to the core about what we're thinking or feeling.

And I don't quite agree with such a black-and-white all-or-nothing viewpoint, but I think it's great that we see things differently. In studying linguistics (which is a small area in itself), many of my classmates have had all kinds of abilities to share. I am better at phonology; my friend is better at gendered language; another friend of mine is much better at historical linguistics than I am. And we all work together, share our information, and learn a lot about language. One of my favourite mottos is 'all of us together are smarter than any one of us alone.'

But I totally understand if you also just need a place and some space to vent. Sometimes, things just suck. We're handed burdens that we don't quite know how to handle at first. And being upset and angry or maybe pessimistic and fatalistic is part of the process in dealing with these hardships.

But let me make myself clear on one thing: being who you are is never a burden or a hinderance unless you choose to hold yourself down.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Not literally
but i used to have high hopes and shit and always used to think that hard work can get me to places and even surpass those with a natural talent for it, but then the MBTI came along and ever since then i've been trying to see how i can change it and my hopes have gone DOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. I am an ISFP, i can't be a strategist like i've always wanted to because i ain't naturally born at it (INTJ). I can't be (ISTP).

Now i'm always watching shows, reading books thinking of what should be but not.
You just might have to work a little bit harder, but it's not impossible. I'm an ENFJ, but when i really put my mind to it, I can develop a lot of strategy, be good at logical reasoning [if someone is willing to walk me through it gently] and even write up business plans by the dozen kinda like the ENTP's complete with financial modelling, revenue projections, debt-equity ratios etc.

I wanted to be an MBA when I turned 14. Yeah, it was a bit of a struggle - but working hard enough allowed me to beat 6000 applicants for my country's most prestigious Business Schools which only had 40 seats available - and our entrance test heavily deviated towards logical thinking, maths and IQ. At that time, I didn't even know I was an NF - or what it was. I just worked hard.

Since then I've held jobs as a marketing executive, sales executive, television sports broadcaster, creative team manager, Business Development Manager (again stuff that requires hardcore logic and staying grounded in reality)

I believe that I can be any type I choose to be given the circumstances and effort because I have the will and desire to work hard.

It's only when people become scared of facing the world that they lose sight of their true goals. We're much more than we give ourselves credit for - if we put our heart and mind into it that is.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
so today i played chess to test my skills.

I lost the game, i only took one of his pieces and that was a pawn and he took all my pieces...huh go figure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
so today i played chess to test my skills.

I lost the game, i only took one of his pieces and that was a pawn and he took all my pieces...huh go figure.
Chess is a game like many other games. I'm not very good at it either. If I wanted to get good at chess though, I could do so by practicing, looking up strategies, figuring out how they work. I like playing Go more, because I feel there's more chances for individualistic thought processes. I wasn't very good when I started out playing Go, though. I got better by reading about it, practicing, and playing games with others. And I'm absolutely terrible at checkers. XD

My point is that if you want to throw in the towel, well then that's entirely your choice. But if you feel that it's a goal worth working towards and you want to reach it bad enough to forge your determination with hard work, then it could become quite possible. In a single chess game, you can only learn so much, but it is by continued playing that the world of the game opens up to you. And it's the same with any strategy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you Fi dom and have decided to be what you want, nothing can stop you if you just learn to stop the view from other on you.
Fi dom is the only personnality who is able to change his personnality type in order to be more craved for ataining an ideal.

krrrkrr

·
Registered
675 Posts
you use your power to defend yourself, just go forward. Abandon other or quit mbti if you feel necessary.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.