Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally find the MBTI to be a very useful tool.
However, no one I know seems to take any interest.

Usually they'll take a test and then dismiss it.
At most I'll be asked about the preferences.

If they were to explore a little deeper I'm certain they would gain from it.

Do you think the MBTI is mainly seen as "snake-oil" similar to a horoscope?

I think it may be due to the descriptions given for the preferences/types.
If you don't understand them then you'll not see how they relate to you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ive had a guy tell me it only "labels people " but then yet again he only knew what the mbti was after I told him and he came to that quick conclusion without really understanding how its used , im sure people just dont dig deeper like you said.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had a guy tell me it only "labels people " but then yet again he only knew what the mbti was after I told him and he came to that quick conclusion without really understanding how its used , im sure people just dont dig deeper like you said.
Funny, I've been told the exact same thing.

I feel it provides nothing more than an outline, yet people seem to think they're pigeon-holed into having certain characteristics.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Ya I've found a lot of people dismiss it as no different than astrology which pisses me off because there putting me and the Myers Briggs in a system in the same category as people who believe the future can be predicted by the distant light of dead and dying stars, and basically reduce all the research I've done to a waste of time.

As for reponses I had someone say it was impossiable for them to be typed because they are "like the wind" (ISTP, and oddly the person who introduced to the MBTI is also an ISTP.)

another friend (ENFP) dismissed it because he doesn't like what it says about his BF's type ((that they're don't view sex romantically, even though there BF said multiple times he doesn't view it romantically and the description is correct))

Reactions: StandingTiger
1 - 5 of 5 Posts