Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this idea, and a quick Google search brought up John Beebe, who says

Early in my analytic training, I heard from older analysts, who seemed to have heard it from their analysts and supervisors — many close associates of Jung — if not from Jung himself, that the ‘inferior function’ is often associated with the archetype of soul in a man, and spirit in a woman.

For a man, it was said, the inferior function was carried by the Anima, the internal feminine figure that represents the instinct for soulful connection and reflection. In a woman, the inferior function was said to be carried by the Animus, the internal, masculine psychic figure that represents spirited standards.

My teachers’ expression ‘carried by’, I came to understand as ‘personified by’, ‘embodied by’, or ‘in the charge of’. This association of the inferior function with a contrasexual figure in the unconscious was implicitly contrasted by my Jungian teachers with the ego control that appears in relation to the ‘superior function’.
John Beebe - The Spine and its Shadow | JungPoland.org

Actually my first thought was more that the anima/animus archetypes, being somewhat caricatured, would be better matched to less developed F (anima in T male) vs. less developed T (animus in F female). The reason being that anima and animus are sort of gender-stereotyped in the same way that T and F functions tend to be. But then that doesn't really fit in neatly with MBTI, which is something Jung likely would have accounted for.

That being said, I'm not sure about the inferior function concept. I don't get how, for example, any of the perceiving functions in the inferior position can be understood in terms of an unconscious feminine/masculine psyche. Furthermore, you'd have to frame each function both ways for both genders with the same inferior functions.

Has anyone ever thought about this before and/or does this idea make sense in terms of your own type? Do you think the anima/animus concept is outdated?

Reactions: brightflashes

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The key to this is to realize that the anima and animus (and other archetypes) are not the functions themselves, but rather complexes that associate with them. Complexes are the archetypes after they fill in with personal experience. Another term for complex is "ego state" (just posted this on them today: http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/576273-ego-states-actual-backbone-type.html#post39350234).
So it's the ego state that will likely take on the connotation of one gender or the other.

So your main ego (and it's "Persona"; both of which associate with your dominant function), will take on your preferred gender. Most of the other function-stack complexes will also, but the inferior (which is about everything unconscious and suppressed from the dominant view, including your sense of the opposite gender), as well as the "Opposing Personality" (or "Warrior/Amazon" archetype, which associates with the fifth function or dominant in the opposite attitude), will tend to take on the opposite gender.

What that means, is that it will be what feels like a female part of you, that (in your case) tends to pay attention to immediate sensory data, and yet, you will feel vulnerable int he area. This may not be obvious right away, so you'll have o really look for it when situations come up. With me, it's Fe situations, and on one hand, it's tricky because we associate Fe with femininity anyway, but the flipside of the anima is the Amazon (Beebe for some reason didn't use this archetype or its male counterpart Warrior, but it's basically what the "opposing Personality" is), and I had noticed that this carried a feminine feeling as well. (Like a sassy female who bucks the system of the "man's world" of Te).

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
Jung viewed the anima/animus as the opposite of the persona. Everything rejected from our persona due to gender associations will become part of the anima/animus. While persona is our ego's bridge to the outer world, the anima/animus is the bridge to the inner world. Just as (like ericB said) the ego and persona are associated with the dominant function, the unconscious personality and anima/animus are associated with the inferior function.
The unconscious functions and archetypes aren't as clear cut as the ego, persona and dominant function(s), which are separated from the unconscious when forming consciousness.

Also, the anima/animus are both personal and collective archetypes. The personal anima/animus could be very different from one individual to another in accordance with each individuals experience. Different aspects of the collective anima/animus may or may not be activated in each person. That said, I can easily see the player/slut aspects of the masculine & feminine archetypes being associated with Se, for example. It's a stereotypical joke often mentioned on the forum.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anima/Animus projection will end if you own that function as your own though. That goes with all of the archetypes. Stopping the repression and owning it as a genuine part of yourself will make it conscious and it will become more matured.

As an example;
Think of an ISTP. Their inferior Fe will make them think of cars or ships as having female souls, hence most engineers in history named their inanimate pieces of machinery with female names. That's where that childish tradition comes from. If an ISTP later in life integrates their inferior Fe, they will laugh at their behaviour later. I would further deduce immature female ISTP's calling their cars or bicycles "boys" but that's just a guess.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I've thought about this before and I think the Beebe model is probably the most accepted one.

However, I have found that the critical parent (6th function) is much more intriguing in practice.

My dom function is Ni and my critical parent is Ti
My partner's dom function is Ti and his critical parent is Ni

Either we have parent issues (entirely possible, tbh), or there might be something to the attraction to the 6th function.

I can say that I find Se incredibly sexy, but Se doms don't tend to be a good match for me because I'm so extremely introverted.

Reactions: ninjahitsawall
5,146 Posts
Jung viewed the anima/animus as the opposite of the persona. Everything rejected from our persona due to gender associations will become part of the anima/animus. While persona is our ego's bridge to the outer world, the anima/animus is the bridge to the inner world. Just as (like ericB said) the ego and persona are associated with the dominant function, the unconscious personality and anima/animus are associated with the inferior function.
The unconscious functions and archetypes aren't as clear cut as the ego, persona and dominant function(s), which are separated from the unconscious when forming consciousness.

Also, the anima/animus are both personal and collective archetypes. The personal anima/animus could be very different from one individual to another in accordance with each individuals experience. Different aspects of the collective anima/animus may or may not be activated in each person. That said, I can easily see the player/slut aspects of the masculine & feminine archetypes being associated with Se, for example. It's a stereotypical joke often mentioned on the forum.
Interesting. I used to think that Anima/Animus in Jung is like Uthur in Pod'Lair, that is it's personification of unconsciousness (5th to 8th function). It sounds more like Dar'yu which is associated with 3rd and 4th function.

Also, sounds like Jung's sexism has blinded him to real human nature, in addition to other things.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I like the idea of the inferior function as the anima/animus - it works for me and lines up with inferior Se.
The anima/animus is a sore spot for embarrassment and a focal point for idealisation.

This lines up perfectly with the things that embarrass me in real life - Se, in various ways.
Making trivial Se mistakes embarrasses me - messing up numbers, getting proven to be wrong about something in a concrete way (i.e someones jumper was a different colour to what I thought, and this can be proven for real), bumping into things (even though it happens quite a bit), stepping on things etc.. all of these little Se mistakes are total sore spots for embarrassment to me - I can't stand it.

This embarrassment actually drives me to focus too much on being good at Se things - I don't want to lose or fail at them because it's embarrassing, i.e kicking a football through the goals, shooting hoops, landing headshots in video games, the list goes on and on - when I fuck these things up, I feel embarrassed, like I'm total shit - the worst - I don't take Se mistakes in my stride, I don't just get over them immediately, they're not just 'no big deal' - they make me feel like I'm on fire or something. I hate it. Total weakness of mine and something I overcompensate for.

With regards to the gender thing - well, here's an idea - when you think of Se embodied, as a person - what gender is it?
For me, it's a female, I don't care how sexist this sounds. So it makes sense and fits, for me.
I realise my type says ISTJ atm but I'm messing about and then the forum had this problem where I can't change it back.

Keen to hear from everyone really - if you picture your inferior function embodied as a person - what image springs to mind?
What gender? What are they doing?

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
Keen to hear from everyone really - if you picture your inferior function embodied as a person - what image springs to mind?
What gender? What are they doing?
I imagine a man acting out in a really cute but unnecessary way, strutting and goofing around trying to get my attention away from the mysterious ISTP who's rolling his eyes at Se dom.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
I don't really understand this as well as I once thought, because I really went off of Beebe and other later analysts with a really pop-psych application of MBTI to everyone ...and I mean I got it from Beebe's perspective, basically he's saying we desire a certain thing and we may project it onto people we're attracted to even if they aren't that. While we might end up with our "reversed functions" in a long term partnership, it's more likely we are simply projecting when we start dating someone we don't know well, get a crush on a stranger, fantasize about a movie star, want to leave our spouse for someone more "exciting" (the projection, which is actually ourselves).

Jung on the other hand used cognitive theory to diagnose people who were highly neurotic, that is to say he was basically doing an early form of treating personality disorders (you know, those cluster A, cluster B situations, like being Borderline or Histrionic or Schizoid). It took Jung weeks, months, maybe even years, of having a "relationship" that a therapist has with a patient to work this all out for them. Ok? You need to understand this first and foremost if you're going to talk seriously about Jung and function theory.

Secondly, Jung said the Anima or Animus is the true hidden self. It's not your ideal mate, though you may again, project it that way, it's actually YOU. On the outside you may present as XYZ but on the inside you're actually the functions you aren't showing.

If you can wrap your head around all that, you'll stick with Keirsey or MBTI and talk about function theory almost apart from Jung, because this is SO not the way he intended it.

Reactions: bubblenaut
1 - 10 of 10 Posts